GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

KESSY - Driver Side Lock - Failing

nype

Drag Racing Champion
The outer sensor for locking the driver door started to not respond (no action when touching) more and more often over the past few weeks. At this point it works about 1 in 10 times.

Unlock sensor on same handle works fine as does both lock/unlock sensors on the passenger side. I have a fresh battery in the fob. Tried the spare fob as well. Same results.

Has anyone experienced the same? Thoughts / advice?

Warranty expired last month. ??

55belairgasser

Passed Driver's Ed
Had to replace mine on the drivers door like 6 mths. ago. I had an extended Warrenty so wasn't to bad. Full price was just above $500.00. If I had to pay full price I would of gotten one out of a Junk Yard and called it a day. I can look up the paperwork when I get home if you need any of the part numbers on what they replaced. - Lance

nype

Drag Racing Champion
That would be helpful. Thanks!

Not sure it would be an easy DIY. No idea how the handles come on/off. I assume from the inside, behind the door panel. Hopefully just a sensor inside the handle. Wouldn’t be worth painting a new handle etc.

Last edited:

55belairgasser

Passed Driver's Ed
I checked yesterday for the receipt and I could not locate it, I apologize. I believe it was a module they replaced behind the door panel. - Lance

nype

Drag Racing Champion
No worries. Thx for checking.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
The handles can be removed by undoing a screw at the end of the door above the latch, should be simple!

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks. Any idea if the sensor is a separate part, inside the handle? Or if it’s all one unit?

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Thanks. I saw that POC video that he put together. It did indeed look as though it’s one contained part. I will double-check with my dealership.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
So whatever white grease the dealer used to unnecessarily lube the rubber inside the sunroof frame is now seaping out and smearing on the piano black sunroof surround. It’s rained a lot here lately. I’ve complained and requested a third party detailing.

Separate headliner creaking issue. But I’m wondering if this grease residue is interfering with the handle sensor as well. They were so sloppy it was probably all over their gloves as well.

Any idea what can be used to safely remove this residue from the piano black trim and even from the paint rear of the sunroof?

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
A citrus based multi purpose cleaner should clean it up.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Will give this a shot.

A483EB9A-226C-4723-8968-D8FCE10AB7D2.jpeg

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Spot tested a small section of the sunroof glass with some diluted natural citrus based household cleaner. Did the trick quite nicely.

Cleaned the door handle as well. No dice unfortunately.

Researching parts and paint costs while I also search some auto wreckers...

wippo567

Car(s)
15' G TDI, 16' GSW
Spot tested a small section of the sunroof glass with some diluted natural citrus based household cleaner. Did the trick quite nicely.

Cleaned the door handle as well. No dice unfortunately.

Researching parts and paint costs while I also search some auto wreckers...
Hi nype,

Did you ever figure out what was happening? I have a similar issue with my driver's side door, which would not lock or open (no action) and this is happening intermittently. This only started happening recently. If it does work, my car would constantly lock repeatedly until I walked away from the car - assuming the fob was far from the door handle/car - again this is happening intermittently too.