GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Keep radio on after turning ignition off

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
So I've brought this topic up on the obdeleven forum as well, but got underwhelming response.

I have a '15 GTI SE (MIB1, push to start, Fender sound). When I kill the engine, say I've just parked outside somewhere waiting for my fiance to run a quick errand, the entire infotainment system shuts off in the process. The car electronics do not; windows still roll up or down, same with the sunroof, and the buttons amongst the cluster and center console remain illuminated...all until I open my door, then everything is truly "off" (save for the visual "door open" in the cluster readout).

A few months ago, the car had to stay with the dealer for warranty repair, and had been there for 3 months (no exaggeration) due to delay in parts. During that time, I had a '17 Golf Alltrack on loan. Among the many things I enjoyed about that car was the simplest of things: when I pressed the Engine Start/Stop button, ALL electronics remained on - including the infotainment brain and display, and by extension whatever audio was playing - until the door was opened.

What this tells me is there are 1 of 2 possible reasons for this: MIB1 systems either can't or don't come programmed in this way from the factory.
OR
This is stock on MIB2 systems, and could perhaps be done via coding on an MIB1 unit.

Theories, speculation, and useless dialog aside: can anyone confirm whether or not this can be done via coding? It's a simple concept, I wouldn't think it too big a task, but I'm also not well versed in VAG and whatever limitations or risks there might be.

*Note: it has been stated elsewhere that this is due to region settings; NAR, specifically. Moreover, changing to Rest of World or perhaps Great Britain do in fact yield what I'm looking for, albeit among other inherent features alongside.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
It's an MIB2 change. We had a '15 TDI and it behaved exactly like your car does. My '16 R stays on until I open the door.

In the old TDI, I would simply punch the power/volume button if I had shut the car down but was going to be sitting in it for a while. A minor annoyance, but about as minor as it gets.

TheSkeptic

Ready to race!
It's an MIB2 change. We had a '15 TDI and it behaved exactly like your car does. My '16 R stays on until I open the door.

In the old TDI, I would simply punch the power/volume button if I had shut the car down but was going to be sitting in it for a while. A minor annoyance, but about as minor as it gets.
I'll double-check whether or not this works in the GTI, but I think I tried at some point and end up having to press the Engine Start button (without the clutch engaged, MT) to turn it back on.

I'm not looking for a workaround, though, I'm specifically looking for coding advice that would fix the annoyance.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

datdiguy

I have a 15 TDI GSW and I would like to know how to reboot the car into ROW version from NAR to keep the radio on until the door is opened. it is the most annoying thing to shut off the car and lose the bluetooth phone connection during a phonecall. maybe the system can be tweaked with OBDELEVEN? suggestions?

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk

adam1991

Banned
man, I thought every VW ever made kept the radio on until the door was opened.

My 2017 GTI does this. I've known of many many older VWs that did this.

hooville

Go Kart Newbie
Turns out: All VW's from at least 2000 - 2018 except NAR models with MIB1 and Kessy. :rolleyes:

We have a MK7 TDI Sportwagen and would love to "fix" this oversight as well!

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
You can try this coding change, but I'm not sure it will work:

Module 09 --> Adapation --> ZV allgemein --> Funk bei Klemme 15 ein --> switch from "active" to "not active"

Translates as "Radio at terminal 15 on" is either active or inactive

Terminal 15 is power with ignition on. "Inactive" would mean power is with terminal 30, or constant power.

Also note that ZV allgemein is only in the 2017+ coding structure. The 2015 module 9 will have this code elsewhere, possibly in long coding.

nonegiven

Go Kart Newbie
You can try this coding change, but I'm not sure it will work:

Module 09 --> Adapation --> ZV allgemein --> Funk bei Klemme 15 ein --> switch from "active" to "not active"

Translates as "Radio at terminal 15 on" is either active or inactive

Terminal 15 is power with ignition on. "Inactive" would mean power is with terminal 30, or constant power.

Also note that ZV allgemein is only in the 2017+ coding structure. The 2015 module 9 will have this code elsewhere, possibly in long coding.
The 2015 KESSY cars already have that set to "not active"

It's in module 9 as the first option "(1)-Access control-Funk bei Klemme 15 ein"

southpawboston

Drag Racing Champion
Check what? That adaptation isn't what keeps the radio on in the 15 KESSY cars unless there is more than one adaptation that needs to be changed.

You could have said that in the first place rather than just state that the 2015s have that set to inactive by default...

datdiguy

Just tried that change (Adaptation - First choice) with my OBDEleven on my 15 GSW and no change the phone connection dies as soon as I turn off the car. Grrr.

Sent from my BBB100-1 using Tapatalk