GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just went apr stage 1 + dsg tune

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
In lieu of the recent APR price drops. I went to get flashed today. Plus I hit 1200 miles on the odometer so I figured I’d get an oil change too.

got the apr stage 1 low tq 91 octane and dsg tune. The good guys at Hardey’s Auto Werks in Colorado flashed it after changing the oil. They had Motul vw508 certified in stock too!

wow. Drive mode isn’t as lethargic as before now. I also really liked the fact that I can see what gear it’s in now too. Sport mode now truly feels like it is worth using only on special occasions. It’s a bit more aggressive in a good way. Drive is now what would sort of fall between stock drive and stock sport!

stage 1, at part throttle feels stock like but more responsive to throttle input now. But holy hell when you push the throttle down. I mean, Jesus. It picks up quick as hell! And the tq is super pronounced too.

no regrets. Also, I opted out of pops and bangs LOL

seanmcd1

Autocross Newbie
Quite tempted to get the DSG tune now that the price is more reasonable! It's a great ECU tune, I have the same one in 93 octane flavor.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Quite tempted to get the DSG tune now that the price is more reasonable! It's a great ECU tune, I have the same one in 93 octane flavor.
i think one should pick and decide based on what they want drive mode to feel like. i wanted something a bit more aggressive. kinda like, imagine drive mode and sport right? so imagine something that falls in between both, that's what drive mode feels like now.

i was texting donnie (dude i met here lol) and he wouldnt want a more aggressive D mode, he would want it to feel the way it does now. so yeah i think that's the important take away, what kind of d mode do you prefer to live with

Hollywood0220

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
German/Japanese
The best part of that @Keehs360 is that even though the tune is listed as "Low Torque", you are achieving a slight increase in Peak whp and holding that until 6500rpm. It's more naturally aspirated kind of feeling, but hella strong in the meat @4300-6500. Great that you got the TCU tune as well, that's what really compliments the power delivery. That Denver elevation sure does have you pushing more psi though. NEXT STEP, get that IC....
Koodos to your choice!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
i think one should pick and decide based on what they want drive mode to feel like. i wanted something a bit more aggressive. kinda like, imagine drive mode and sport right? so imagine something that falls in between both, that's what drive mode feels like now.

i was texting donnie (dude i met here lol) and he wouldnt want a more aggressive D mode, he would want it to feel the way it does now. so yeah i think that's the important take away, what kind of d mode do you prefer to live with

I think EQT's DSG has a perfect drive mode mapped out. I was the same way. I was content with D, and didn't want anything more aggressive. I never used S. Under say, 30% throttle input, EQT's D feels like regular D. Driving around town, you hardly notice a difference. Shift points are sightly higher, but not much. It won't have you in 5th doing 40mph, that's for sure.

But the benefit of their DSG tune is once you go past that 30% throttle input. Cruising at 55mph in 5th and put your foot down to pass someone? It immediately kicks down to 3rd. Regular D would lug going down to 4th, and maybe eventually drop to 3rd if you didn't let off.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think EQT's DSG has a perfect drive mode mapped out. I was the same way. I was content with D, and didn't want anything more aggressive. I never used S. Under say, 30% throttle input, EQT's D feels like regular D. Driving around town, you hardly notice a difference. Shift points are sightly higher, but not much. It won't have you in 5th doing 40mph, that's for sure.

But the benefit of their DSG tune is once you go past that 30% throttle input. Cruising at 55mph in 5th and put your foot down to pass someone? It immediately kicks down to 3rd. Regular D would lug going down to 4th, and maybe eventually drop to 3rd if you didn't let off.

Agree and the OEM tune would gear hunt also.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5

Agreed, i enjoy skipping two gears on the downshift when i put my foot down a bit. its way peppier.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
The best part of that @Keehs360 is that even though the tune is listed as "Low Torque", you are achieving a slight increase in Peak whp and holding that until 6500rpm. It's more naturally aspirated kind of feeling, but hella strong in the meat @4300-6500. Great that you got the TCU tune as well, that's what really compliments the power delivery. That Denver elevation sure does have you pushing more psi though. NEXT STEP, get that IC....
Koodos to your choice!
thanks!

Im currently saving for an intercooler, I hope to have it on by feb or march

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
i gotta tell u, i never felt gear hunt on stock dsg tune. but i only drove it about a thousand miles before i got it flashed today. so i dunno lol

Yeah the OEM DSG tuning would shift into 6th gear at 53 MPH. Drop 1 MPH and it would downshift to 5th.

RTFM

Ready to race!
After reading this thread, has anyone ever monitored an APR stage 1 car for knock with an AccessPort?
You can’t with an accessport. It would have to be done with VCDS, which is a pain and has a slow rate, so not sure if anyone has done it.

thewanted

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 Porsche Macan
You can’t with an accessport. It would have to be done with VCDS, which is a pain and has a slow rate, so not sure if anyone has done it.

Ah okay, thanks! I've used VCDS once before and you're right, it is a pain.

Why can't you do any monitoring with the AccessPort if you have an APR tune?