GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just how easy/pain is DP install/removal?

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
And this is why I'm probably sticking to Stage 1. Too much of a hassle for an extra +20hp? Add up the cost of the dp, tune, stronger clutch, intercooler (?). I'd probably stick with what I have, save up for a better clutch when this wears out, wheels/tires, and get a high torque flash.

Yeah, I mean the extra HP is nice but when you're already over 300, what else are you looking to do? Drag it? I'm more the kind that is happy with extra pop for the highway to get around effortlessly. I would like a mid to rear though possibly. To get larger exhaust tips. The stocks are so puny! Or has anyone actually just bought tips to cover the stock? Is that not considered too ricey? lol. That paired with maybe a muff delete if not going the DP route.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Or has anyone actually just bought tips to cover the stock? Is that not considered too ricey? lol. That paired with maybe a muff delete if not going the DP route.
I considered replacing my tips, but the R has oval pipes so replacing the tips is annoying. I'm pretty sure on a GTI the pipes are round so it's not an issue. Might even be able to get the oem tips off yourself and install the new tips.

nok513

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 VW GTI S
Yeah, I mean the extra HP is nice but when you're already over 300, what else are you looking to do? Drag it? I'm more the kind that is happy with extra pop for the highway to get around effortlessly. I would like a mid to rear though possibly. To get larger exhaust tips. The stocks are so puny! Or has anyone actually just bought tips to cover the stock? Is that not considered too ricey? lol. That paired with maybe a muff delete if not going the DP route.
I hear ya! Wait, you got stock catback than maybe not...lol. Kiddin'! Seriously, I'm content with Stage 1 93 oct. I'm not tracking it so I don't need all that. It's plenty quick with stage 1 and with my resonated Borla, she can get loud enough. I get some nice wooshy wooshy sounds too from the intake. I'll save some cash for clutch down the road and just get a high torque file then.

TheMechanicDude

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 GTI Sport
I have covers on my stock tips. Looks great IMO

3CC518D0-12AB-441D-92D6-C7BF3D583F4A.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Oh man, that does look good. I'm also running the stock catback and I'm considering some for myself. Where did you get them?

They look like the BMS tips. Believe those are the only slip on ones specifically for the MK7.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
So your main problem will be clearance when removing the old dp. Also when you put the new in with it being either 2-3 pieces. I have mine welded to prevent exhaust leaks so now my aftermarket DP is 2 pieces with the main piece at the bottom being a quick release for easy removal. I would not do this install if you can not lift the car off the ground 20 inches. The higher you go the easier the job will be. I believe when I do it I have it at about 24 inches and its not to bad. Can get the dp our and stock back in, in about 20 minutes. Hope this helps.

SnailpowerMk7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI SE 6SPD MT
So your main problem will be clearance when removing the old dp. Also when you put the new in with it being either 2-3 pieces. I have mine welded to prevent exhaust leaks so now my aftermarket DP is 2 pieces with the main piece at the bottom being a quick release for easy removal. I would not do this install if you can not lift the car off the ground 20 inches. The higher you go the easier the job will be. I believe when I do it I have it at about 24 inches and its not to bad. Can get the dp our and stock back in, in about 20 minutes. Hope this helps.

Good to know. Thanks. (y)

Buffa

If you have the PP/diff, a tip I found online to be very helpful, is to remove the two bolts that hold the pendulum mount to the bottom of the engine. I apologize if I'm not using the right terminology, but it's essentially the arm that extends from the dogbone mount to the front of the engine. Once those two bolts are removed, prop a small 2x4 board behind the engine block to prop the engine forward about an inch. Gives you just enough more clearance to minimize cursing while you try to get the stock downpipe out. :) One important note, is watch which bolt is which. One is slightly longer than the other, so take note before you toss them aside.

riceburner

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK5 Best GTI
I was bummed cause i thought my awe catted dp would pass emissions on a stock tune but it didnt even with a 90 spacer. Had to swap. It is a pain but yea, takes like an hour if youre taking your time.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
I was bummed cause i thought my awe catted dp would pass emissions on a stock tune but it didnt even with a 90 spacer. Had to swap. It is a pain but yea, takes like an hour if youre taking your time.
Vibrant spacer? Pointed up towards the sky?