GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got a '19 Golf R and I have questions

obdave

Hello everyone,

Last week I put winter tires and wheels on it and it's on its first of many ski vacations. I am liking this car a lot. I have a handful of new-car owner questions.

Whenever I pull into my garage, or sometimes when I go into reverse, I hear some sort of servo doing something at the rear of my car. It’s a whirring noise that lasts about 2 seconds. Does the antenna extend and retract or something?

How the heck do you get the odometer to display? I can only see the trip odo. The regular odo is only visible when the engine is off.

I love how the cruise control works on this car. The way it increments/decrements in 5 mph steps is super convenient. One every previous car, when driving on a highway with cruise control on, I could dial down the speed and the car would coast down to the new speed. The VW actively applies the brakes to slow down. Is there a setting to turn this off, either on a menu or using one of those OBD tools? What would really be cool is if the setting was depending on the drive mode you’re in.

Also, is there a way to turn off the feature that disables the menus when the vehicle is in motion?

My Mazda 3 has an app where you can set the service intervals in miles, and then when it’s time for an oil change or tire rotation, you get a reminder. Does the Golf have anything like this?

On a related topic, what’s the verdict on car-net? I’ve been playing with it, and I find it a little klunky, and I'm not sure it's worth the subscription when the trial ends. And currently it’s telling me my “VW may need some attention” and wants me to schedule service, but it won’t tell me for what. This, I should point out, on a car with a grand total of 689 miles on it.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
The whine when you back up is the VW badge on the back lifting up so that the rearview camera can see what's behind you. The odometer shows on the dash screen when you turn off the cruise control on the steering wheel. Turn the volume to "off" on the radio knob and all you'll see is a clock.

kevinkar

Drag Racing Champion
Also, is there a way to turn off the feature that disables the menus when the vehicle is in motion?
Yes, you can do this with the OBD11 and other tools. Go to the OBD11 or VCDS threads/stickys and read up on all the things you can do including this. This was one of the first things I did because there's no way to lower the bass while in motion. Only solution on a station that broadcasts some song with overpowering bass is to change the station. Why that's buried in the menu instead of a slider on the touch screen is a mystery. Then again, I'm not a fan of touchscreens because you have to look at the screen to use it which takes your eyes off the road. With hard buttons you can navigate by touch but noooooo. Too many touchscreens these days.

On a related topic, what’s the verdict on car-net? I’ve been playing with it, and I find it a little klunky, and I'm not sure it's worth the subscription when the trial ends. And currently it’s telling me my “VW may need some attention” and wants me to schedule service, but it won’t tell me for what. This, I should point out, on a car with a grand total of 689 miles on it.
My verdict is it's not worth it. With OBD11 or a regular decent scan tool you can find out all about your car's ills on your own. Plus, with a cell phone on you, you don't need anything else. The only advantage to using one of these services installed in the car is they do sometimes have better range than your cell phone since it might have a larger antenna and is running off a 12V system for more power. So that could come in handy if you're out in a patchy service area. Otherwise, it's money better spent elsewhere.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Turn the volume to "off" on the radio knob and all you'll see is a clock.

Yes, but this must be enabled via the car's setup menu, it's off by default, for some silly reason.

Also (re-) learned something the other day on my new '19 - to be able to view/reply to text messages, at least on iOS, you must enable "show notifications" on the Bluetooth settings for the car's connection, ON the phone. If that's not done, the text message option won't even show on the car's menu. Once enabled on the phone, the option is there in the car. Very handy feature that I thought I was going to have to live without on the '19 - not so, just has to be set up properly. I'm talking about the native VW software, not CarPlay here.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Looks like your questions have been answered and congratulations on your new car.

Georgem98

Is that the whirring he was talking about? I have a similar sound almost sounds like the air ride suspension on my old Lincoln Mark 8. Anyone know what that sound is? It's not just reverse it could be anytime