GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just got 18x8 +45 Konig Oversteers... tire advice needed

nsw

Passed Driver's Ed
Short version: 235/40 or 245/35 on these 18x8 wheels?

Long version: I'm dropped 1.25" on VWR springs. I have 5mm/10mm spacers with which to bring the new wheels flush.

So, tires.

235/40s:
8mm greater diameter than stock 225s.
Sidewall 3.7"
In middle of recommended wheel widths (235s on 8).

245/35s have 8.5mm smaller diameter than stock.
Sidewall 3.38"
Right on edge of recommended wheel width (245s on 8).

I won't be tracking the car, but I will be doing a few drag strip visits. Overall, it's a DD. I know the 40 sidewall is more comfy, but I do like the look of smaller sidewalls and wider tires. I think 245/40s will be too tall looks-wise (3.86" sidewall -- stock 225/40s are 3.54") and may get close to rubbing, so those are out.

Cheers.

Joel

Ready to race!

Same wheels, I went with stock 225/40/18 Firestone Indy 500s.

nype

Drag Racing Champion
I'd go 235/40.

nsw

Passed Driver's Ed

Same wheels, I went with stock 225/40/18 Firestone Indy 500s.

Your car looks great. I went with Glossy Black as well after almost going with Opal. The Konigs are so cheap for being 20.1 lbs -- I paid $130 apiece all-in (jet.com with their 15% off coupon). Hopefully they won't crack on the first pothole I hit -- I read a lot of reviews and thoughts were positive. I wanted Neuspeeds Rse10s in Satin Black, but I can't justify $290/wheel.

... Tire-wise I decided to pull the trigger on 235/40 Indy 500s. Gonna get some of that cushy sidewall. I will post a pic when they're on. The Indy 500s are highly rated, especially for the price. I've got them coming from Tire Rack -- backordered, but only a few days' wait. Firestone has them at $117 on their store website, but I called a few of their local stores AND the national # and no one could get me any or give me an ETA. So Tire Rack @ $123/ea it is. There's a $60 back promo going right now, too, so that ends up <$110 per tire. Anybody reading this might want to check that out.

Anyway, I'll hopefully be back in here to post pics next week.

:D

Joel

Ready to race!
Not a bad price for the 235's.
I paid 104 a piece shipped for the 225's from simpletire.
I have been running 37 PSI in them, from what I have read you may need to lower that a bit with the 235's...
You will like the Indy 500's and the Oversteers, I almost when with Opal also.
Everyone I asked for their opinion on the two colors said get the black.
Have to say I am happy with them, I did replace the chrome lug bolts and valve stem cap with black ones since this picture.

gchen6850

Ready to race!
225/40 won't rub if that puts it back on the table for you at all. I've got same spec wheels and 225/40 tires with 5 and 12 mm spacers. No rub per daily driving.

Will also save you money on tires since 225 is cheaper than 235 and some places charge extra to install 35 and lower series tires.

Also gives you somewhat of that smaller sidewall look you're going for. Although now that I'm reading through the thread I see you've already made a decision lol.

I just bought a set of hankooks ventus v12s (225/40/18) for $330 shipped during the memorial day sales

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
My vote is 235/40, I love my 235/40 MPSS.

That extra bit of sidewall gives a little nicer ride, would never go back to 225/40. 245/35 will have a much smaller sidewall than the 225/40.