Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Didn't think I'd get into one so soon!

It's a 2018 with 6.6k miles

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Thanks guys. Anything other than the grab handles that have problems that I need to be aware of? lol

I think I've got a sensor that isn't working. I didn't notice my right side mirror lighting up when someone was next to me.

So far I just can't believe it. No idea how I'm gonna sleep tonight...maybe I gotta sleep in the car.

The clutch is certainly gonna take some getting used to. I had a stage 2 aftermarket clutch with a smfw before this and that clutch in the golf r is liiiiiight. I feel like this dude - https://i.imgur.com/8cw104e.mp4

Really loving the awd so far. I've only had fwd cars and I've driven a few rwd cars very briefly, so this all new to me.

gregozedobe

Battle scarred veteran
Keep an eye on the coolant level, if it goes down check the water pump/thermostat housing.

If it goes from AWD to FWD (you'll know by the excessive spinning) get the haldex filter cleaned (some gum up early).

Enjoy !

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Keep an eye on the coolant level, if it goes down check the water pump/thermostat housing.

If it goes from AWD to FWD (you'll know by the excessive spinning) get the haldex filter cleaned (some gum up early).

Enjoy !

Ahh classic water pump problems all these years later lol

Somehow my mk6 gti is still on the oem water pump at 81k.

Thanks!

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Haldex isn't required service until 3/30k. Should be fine, its only a year and 7k miles.

Also lol at that video. That's really how it feels, the transmission in this car is so buttery smooth. Just don't freak out when you managed to get over confident and hear the gears touch. The AWD is just so perfect on this car. It doesn't have drift mode, but the car just handles perfectly.

But for reals, if you plan on keeping the car for more than say like 3 years, spend the money on a full hood bra and opticoat, especially if the car is going to live its life in the sun.

Spend the money, a clear bra and the paint protection are only as good as what you are starting with. You've already spent i assume at least 35k on the car, the extra 2k to get protection is worth it. My car literally looks brand new after 4 years and 26k. The only spots on the car are from literally golf ball+ pieces of cars or road.

Also check your insurance, you'll likely want to lower your comprehensive deductible, and raise your collision deductible. This car attracts random damage, but is very good at avoiding accidents. I've already had 3 comp claims on this car due to the garbage on the roads out here. Comp claims dont count against you as long as you can prove that it was due to unavoidable things. As in, the jack ass in front of you dropping a baseball sized rock into the truck in front of you that fires it 100 feet at your bumper. This are all just hypothetical situations, that have never happened due to the shitloads of construction and rock haulers in Colorado.

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Also check your insurance, you'll likely want to lower your comprehensive deductible, and raise your collision deductible. This car attracts random damage, but is very good at avoiding accidents. I've already had 3 comp claims on this car due to the garbage on the roads out here. Comp claims dont count against you as long as you can prove that it was due to unavoidable things. As in, the jack ass in front of you dropping a baseball sized rock into the truck in front of you that fires it 100 feet at your bumper. This are all just hypothetical situations, that have never happened due to the shitloads of construction and rock haulers in Colorado.

I know how that shit goes... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxmjsx8jcpw

That happened earlier this year. If you pause it around 2 seconds just about when the car starts to pass the orange cones you can see the little tiny aluminum piece of metal I hit. Then you can see it fly out the back towards the car behind me. Something the construction people would have dropped most likely.

My front tire picked it up and then my rear tire caught it just perfectly. It destroyed a wheel and a tire, and they were custom powdercoated so it was an extra cost to the replacement.

veedubfreak

Go Kart Champion
Concrete golfball kicked up by a truck I was 50 feet behind
truck tire kicked up by a hillbilly that I was also at my normal hypermiling distance.

What I'm learning is that I should be tailgating to minimize the damage from people that hit every thing in the road.

Spent around 4 hours a couple weeks back playing pdr guy. Felt dirty drilling into the underside of the hood since both hits were above the bracing.

By no means perfect, but at least its not a shining diamond in a goats asshole.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
Thanks guys. Anything other than the grab handles that have problems that I need to be aware of? lol

I think I've got a sensor that isn't working. I didn't notice my right side mirror lighting up when someone was next to me.

So far I just can't believe it. No idea how I'm gonna sleep tonight...maybe I gotta sleep in the car.

The clutch is certainly gonna take some getting used to. I had a stage 2 aftermarket clutch with a smfw before this and that clutch in the golf r is liiiiiight. I feel like this dude - https://i.imgur.com/8cw104e.mp4

Really loving the awd so far. I've only had fwd cars and I've driven a few rwd cars very briefly, so this all new to me.

It does not light up when someone is next to you. Not sure why everything thinks that. It only lights up when they are in your blind spot. And you must be going at a min speed. If you can see the car then it should not light up. It is also based on how fast they are coming up on you. Read your manual for the details.

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
It does not light up when someone is next to you. Not sure why everything thinks that. It only lights up when they are in your blind spot. And you must be going at a min speed. If you can see the car then it should not light up. It is also based on how fast they are coming up on you. Read your manual for the details.

I feel like I've watched the side mirror lights on other cars while driving behind them and they light up while they're next to you no matter where they are, so I assumed the R would be like that too.

I figured it out after more driving though.

I'll definitely be pulling the manual out for some reading. I'm sure there's a ton I don't know.