GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

June issue Car and Driver magazine Mark 8 on the cover!

510danr

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI Autobahn
I know its estimated but $38,000 pre tax price? That can't be right, can it? As tested It doesn't even have the VAQ diff.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
5.1 seconds vs 5.8

The MK8 was tested with Bridgestone S005 summer tires and the Rabbit was on P7 Cinturato All Seasons.

I wonder how close the gap would be if they were tested on the same tires.
Don't worry, we won't get summer tires on ours. VW USA has had the opportunity to offer them as an option for years and never has. Likely won't change.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
I know its estimated but $38,000 pre tax price? That can't be right, can it? As tested It doesn't even have the VAQ diff.
i noted the price o_O

also just because curious i looked and the 3 dealers near me none had gti's in stock either 7 or 8's

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
i noted the price o_O

also just because curious i looked and the 3 dealers near me none had gti's in stock either 7 or 8's
The 8 isn't out until this fall, at the earliest. 7 production ended months ago and they're just selling outstanding inventory now.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI
5.1 seconds vs 5.8

The MK8 was tested with Bridgestone S005 summer tires and the Rabbit was on P7 Cinturato All Seasons.

I wonder how close the gap would be if they were tested on the same tires.

EDIT: I found the link, yeap AS tires.

Last edited:

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
I got the stock summer tires on my golf r in 2015. Dog crap potenzas that wore out in 10k miles.

I much prefer to get stock all season tires unless vw is going to make the commitment to putting on Michelin tires.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Don't worry, we won't get summer tires on ours. VW USA has had the opportunity to offer them as an option for years and never has. Likely won't change.
Whatcha talking about?
They've typically been a $0 cost option (if ordered that way). In 2018 (year of your car), for example:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinsp.../2018/09/2018_VW_Golf_GTI_Order_Guide.pdf.pdf

2017:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspire.com/emichvw/uploads/2018/09/2017_VW_GTI_order_guide.pdf

Only on the Autobahn for 2019 & 2020 though:
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinspire.com/emichvw/uploads/2018/11/2019_VW_Golf_GTI_Order_Guide.pdf
https://di-uploads-pod16.dealerinsp...019/12/MY2020_Retail_Order_Guide_US_gti-1.pdf

Golfer883

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
19 GTI rabbit
My 19 rabbit will have its full warranty for a good bit more time, 6 yr 72,000 miles. I won't get rid of it until I'm close to the 6 year or 72,000 mile mark. I'll probably be interested in a 8 gti then, really enjoy my car and I don't know of much coming out that I would want over it. Hopefully, there is a resfresh by then for the touch controls and improved front end

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I too miss the brochures. My new 2019 did not have one if I remember correctly.

You must down load from the site and find a decent color printer.

The mfr is cheeping out! I still have a lot of brochures that I have kept on the cars that I really liked.

I now see where Toyota is no longer providing an Owner's Manual with their Sienna. Owners get "Joya", a voice-activated virtual assistant which will no doubt take frustration to a whole new level. Seeing as most vehicle owners never read their owner's manuals, I suppose this was to be expected.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
"We tested a GTI with the auto 'box, which had smart shifts and helped deliver the hatch to 60 mph in 5.1 seconds–0.7 quicker than a last-gen Rabbit edition with the automatic.

C/D TEST RESULTS
Curb weight: 3154 lb

60 mph: 5.1 sec
100 mph: 12.2 sec
1/4 mile: 13.6 sec @ 105 mph
130 mph: 24.6 sec
Results above omit 1-ft rollout of 0.3 sec.
Rolling start, 5–60 mph: 5.5 sec"

https://www.caranddriver.com/volkswagen/golf-gti (2022)

The Rabbit Edition they're comparing against had timing issues due to the 0w-20 oil and VVT not being calibrated correctly. My car ran pig rich under 4000 rpms and bogged like crazy until the first patch.

I own 2 GTI's and my 18 would smoke my rabbit stock for stock when I bought the rabbit.

The 19 ran fine after the patch.

I think the fastest previous 18 mk7.5 they tested was 5.2, so it really isn't much of an improvement in 0 to 60.

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
I'll hold off on my opinion of King's Red until I see one on person but IMO it's not a good substitute for Tornado Red.
I think it's a massive improvement. Metallic > solid, and I prefer a deeper shade of red over a brighter one.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

I know the the base S GTI is going to MSRP for 30.5 and they all come with the LSD now.