GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

June issue Car and Driver magazine Mark 8 on the cover!

Treadup

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 6MT GTI
No, mine was Cosmic Blue. You could only get those 2 colors in 2003. Saab made GREAT car colors. That brochure just makes me sad.
I did see a GTE in person and I liked it but I wouldn't trade my 18 SE for it.

Those #s are nice but I am a manual transmission fan through and through. Technology is awesome though.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
These days that's actually a good thing since EU cars are currently having to run extra catalysts., although I'd imagine this will be a global car, since production is all back in Germany for the Mk8.
I doubt they'd put a GPF on a US-spec car unless law here specifically required it, which amazingly, it doesn't at this point (shocking that CARB isn't all over this, they love to regulate EVERYTHING). BMW, for instance, does not on current cars. But who knows, VW and VWoA make some wacky decisions.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
The Mk8 GTI is listed as 273, so I bet it won't get limited from the DSG. The important thing for me is whether the Mk8 R with a manual is still using the new Conti turbo or if they're just recycling the IS38. If the latter, I'll just keep this car. I don't really have much interest in a Mk8 GTI.
Whole reason VW is limiting the Mk8R is because the U.S market is quite literally the only one left getting the stick. It's DSG only over in Euro land, and VW didn't want to front the cost of developing a new OEM clutch to handle the extra torque. Given the cost-cutting measures I doubt they'd split the production line and eat the associated cost to stuff the Is38 back into the Mk8 R when you could simply hit the desired torque output through factory tuning.

Mk8 GTI on the other hand will be fine, VW already had a clutch to handle the Euro-spec Mk7.5 GTI's output which is identical to the current Mk8.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Whole reason VW is limiting the Mk8R is because the U.S market is quite literally the only one left getting the stick. It's DSG only over in Euro land, and VW didn't want to front the cost of developing a new OEM clutch to handle the extra torque. Given the cost-cutting measures I doubt they'd split the production line and eat the associated cost to stuff the Is38 back into the Mk8 R when you could simply hit the desired torque output through factory tuning.

Mk8 GTI on the other hand will be fine, VW already had a clutch to handle the Euro-spec Mk7.5 GTI's output which is identical to the current Mk8.
Yeah, if it's just tuning, that's fine, since I'd tune the R from day 1. As long as it's mechanically the same as the DSG motor, tuning shouldn't hold the manual back on available power, it will always be slower, but I'm fine with that.

And manual Mk7's have horrible stock clutches, so we'll need a new one on either Mk8 anyway, nothing new with that.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
I hope we get some cool new colors once VW America gets the brochures together.

I hope VW has the sense to produce U.S. Golf brochures. They made none for the '21s. I'm a fossil and I like to have a brochure in hand when I leave a Dealership and enjoy keeping them for the cars we own .... except my '21. :confused:

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
I hope VW has the sense to produce U.S. Golf brochures. They made none for the '21s. I'm a fossil and I like to have a brochure in hand when I leave a Dealership and enjoy keeping them for the cars we own .... except my '21. :confused:

I too miss the brochures. My new 2019 did not have one if I remember correctly.

You must down load from the site and find a decent color printer.

The mfr is cheeping out! I still have a lot of brochures that I have kept on the cars that I really liked.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I'll hold off on my opinion of King's Red until I see one on person but IMO it's not a good substitute for Tornado Red.
It's been on the Arteon, but it's a darker (cherry) metallic red. Dark in the shade, but brighter in the sun. Definitely nothing like Tornado Red!

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
There‘s a Tornado Red mk7.5 GTI and a Kings Red mk8 GTI side by side in the picture at the start of the discussion thread at the link below. The mk8 is still wearing its protective wrapping from the factory, but there are enough exposed panels to be able to compare the two colours.

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287108.msg2629161#msg2629161

More Kings Red pictures in reply #10 of that thread which show how Kings Red can ‘change’ colour when viewed from different angles and under different lighting conditions. IMO it has a coppery brown-ish undertone to it under certain lighting conditions which can be seen in the second picture in reply #10.

Likes and dislikes of specific paint colours is a very personal thing, but I personally think Kings Red is more suited to a non-performance car that it is to a GTI. Just my opinion though 🙂.

SRGTD

Autocross Newbie
VW's wheel designer should be placed in a Home Prison for retired Nazi's. The articles I've read like the car but dislike the lack of buttons.
Something that a car tester / writer of a motoring review might not experience during their short period with the car are the numerous software gremlins being reported by mk8 Golf owners. It seems to also be an issue with the ml8 Golf’s siblings - the latest models of the Audi A3, Skoda Octavia and Seat Leon With the same iPad style infotainment screen and (largely) buttonless, switchless interior.

There are various discussion threads over on the mk8 forum board that highlight many of the software-related issues (similar threads over on golfgtiforum.co.uk). VW have been releasing various software updates to rectify these issues, but they don’t seem to have been entirely successful 🤔 - frustrating for owners, and no doubt spoils the ownership experience. Hopefully, these gremlins will have been sorted by the time the mk8 GTI and R are on sale in USA and Canada.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Ya the wheels are terrible, but i usually replace stock wheels anyway so its not a huge loss.