GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

June issue Car and Driver magazine Mark 8 on the cover!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, interesting to see the GTI get so much quicker, pretty much in line with the R improvements from Mk7-Mk8. Interesting to see that they mentioned the GTI brakes are carryover, at least on the R, the Performance Package delivers larger rotors and two piston floating front calipers. Still not great, but better than the current PP setup and odd that there was no mention of the PP being offered on the GTI. Of course we're at VW USA's mercy on all of this, as they still haven't offered any idea of our spec and what inevitable cost cutting they'll be hitting us with.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Impressive performance. Still hate the interior capacitive touch button BS.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I hope we get some cool new colors once VW America gets the brochures together.
Ha, never! The new red, King's Red is the only real shift. Other colors on the DE or UK sites are Moonstone Grey and Pure White for non metallics, the Kings Red, Atlantic Blue, Deep Black Pearl, Dolphin Grey and Reflex Silver (woot!) with Oryx White as an extra upcharge. We typically have a few of those choices removed from our available colors. Still better than the R, which only comes in blue, white or black for the Mk8.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Uh oh, just noticed on the first page of the article that this car is "Euro-spec."
These days that's actually a good thing since EU cars are currently having to run extra catalysts., although I'd imagine this will be a global car, since production is all back in Germany for the Mk8.

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
If the manual mk. 8 R isn't getting the hp/torque bump I don't think the manual mk.8 GTI is gonna get a significant bump either.

This DSG car is pretty fast out of the box, the manual is probably gonna be a dog compared to it.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I'll hold off on my opinion of King's Red until I see one on person but IMO it's not a good substitute for Tornado Red.
I generally dislike any metallic paint, and this feels too much like Mazda's overused red. So few companies make a good red anymore. I still hold that BMW's Imola Red was the best red ever, take that, Ferrari.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
If the manual mk. 8 R isn't getting the hp/torque bump I don't think the manual mk.8 GTI is gonna get a significant bump either.

This DSG car is pretty fast out of the box, the manual is probably gonna be a dog compared to it.
The R is ostensibly not getting the bump because the new R has more torque than the clutch is rated for. This won't be a problem for the GTI. It's the same clutch as our current cars, so as long as it doesn't make more torque than the Mk7 R, it should be "fine."

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The R is ostensibly not getting the bump because the new R has more torque than the clutch is rated for. This won't be a problem for the GTI. It's the same clutch as our current cars, so as long as it doesn't make more torque than the Mk7 R, it should be "fine."
Yeah but the GTI already makes 258, the R only makes 280, somewhere in between isn't much of a bump is what I'm getting at.