JerseyDrew's 2016 GTI S build, a.k.a. Jersey Devil

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
while your block is pulled...gimme your BBK

eventhorizon

Go Kart Champion
Love you build man! Really solid research there with smart purchases on the braking and power. Out of curiosity do you have an information on your PM4 install for the GTI, I'm about to do it on my car as well. Thanks in advance! J

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
while your block is pulled...gimme your BBK

Lol... You want me to loan my brakes out? If I do get rid of them, you'll be first on my list.

Love your build man! Really solid research there with smart purchases on the braking and power. Out of curiosity do you have an information on your PM4 install for the GTI, I'm about to do it on my car as well. Thanks in advance! J

Thanks man. For the PM4, I read the info on Torqbyte's website and watched the install video that they have, which for me helped.

https://torqbyte.com/products/vag-pm4-high-power-fuel-pump-control-module

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Last night I repaired my shifter and linkage. Replaced the stock shifter with a Dieselgeek Sigma 6 short shifter along with the shifter cable mount bushings and upgraded the bleeder block and clutch line; I also removed that clutch-assist spring. What a difference all of these mods have made, complete night and day. Should have done this from the beginning. If anybody is looking for a solid, quality made short shifter I highly recommend the Sigma 6. It reduces both front to back and side to side by 30% but don't quote me on that. The picture below is from Dieselgeek's website.

SS-SIGMA 6.jpg

Last edited:

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Last night I repaired my shifter and linkage. Replaced the stock shifter with a Dieselgeek Sigma 6 short shifter along with the shifter cable mount bushings and upgraded the bleeder block and clutch line; I also removed that clutch-assist spring. What a difference all of these mods have made, complete night and day. Should have done this from the beginning. If anybody is looking for a solid, quality made short shifter I highly recommend the Sigma 6. It reduces both front to back and side to side by 30% but don't quote me on that. The picture below is from Dieselgeek's website.

View attachment 188988
Drew did you order that new and recent direct from diesel geek?

I just got one from them 3 weeks ago and the bushing and sliders is different.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Drew did you order that new and recent direct from diesel geek?

I just got one from them 3 weeks ago and the bushing and sliders is different.

I did order it new and directly from them pretty recent. The slider on mine is a dark grey and the bushings are slightly different from their picture.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Looks like I need to upgrade my LCAs. When braking at high speeds, the front wheels feel like as if the rotors are warped but that's not the case because 1) they are not that old 2) they are good rotors and 3) already checked the rotors and pads and they are completely fine. My car brakes normal when cruising around and has no issue braking from 70 - 80 mph down to zero, it only happens when braking from high speeds.

Also, my transmission might need to be repaired or replaced. What I thought might be an issue with my shifter or clutch (4th gear lockout when doing quick shifts and flat foot shifting) seems more like an issue with the slider in the transmission. Will have to bring it in to my buddy's shop for further analysis.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I had the exact same issue as you with high speed braking shaking the car. If I pushed through the vibrations and came to a quick stop the pad deposits became more apparent and showed as “hotspots” on the rotors. If you’re using the Stoptech “Street” pads I know they are notorious for creating uneven pad deposits during normal driving and they are the ones I was using when I got my hotspots. Just something to consider before spending $$$ on LCAs.

Here is the thread I made on tracking down my braking issue and the solution. Hope this helps.

That really sucks to hear about your transmission issue. I hope it’s not that serious. Good luck.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
I had the exact same issue as you with high speed braking shaking the car. If I pushed through the vibrations and came to a quick stop the pad deposits became more apparent and showed as “hotspots” on the rotors. If you’re using the Stoptech “Street” pads I know they are notorious for creating uneven pad deposits during normal driving and they are the ones I was using when I got my hotspots. Just something to consider before spending $$$ on LCAs.

Here is the thread I made on tracking down my braking issue and the solution. Hope this helps.

That really sucks to hear about your transmission issue. I hope it’s not that serious. Good luck.

I don't think that's my issue as I inspected my rotors and they are clean, still look new and nothing like yours did in your thread. I will try hooning it hard to see if that works and I already purchased the SuperPro LCAs as that was a mod that I was going to do eventually.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Had these bad boys arrived yesterday and will be going on next week.

20201029_134743.jpg

But today I drained out the Motul Gear 300 transmission fluid and replaced it with VW High Performance Gear Oil (part #G 052 527 A2) and I can already tell the difference. My car shifts so much smoother now with the VW fluid and will test it out tonight with a couple of some WOT pulls.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Glad to hear!

after watching @ian124 vid today I tested mine to see if I could bang through 2-3 that Quick and it went right in with no fighting or delay at all.

fingers crossed it works for you too!

Well, I took my car out these past two nights for some WOT pulls to test things out and still get the issue with 4th gear. One thing I did notice is that when shifting from 3rd to 4th, my shifter will move a little to the right which creates the lockout.