GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JerseyDrew's 2016 GTI S build, a.k.a. Jersey Devil

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Well, I took my car out these past two nights for some WOT pulls to test things out and still get the issue with 4th gear. One thing I did notice is that when shifting from 3rd to 4th, my shifter will move a little to the right which creates the lockout.
Mess with your alignment some on the linkages, after speaking with Jim from diesel geek when I was fighting the 1st gear he said the side to side is insanely sensitive. Even just adjusting the visible “threads” on the linage by 1-2 make a difference. After I did it with the alignment pin I still have had to adjust it for fine tuning.

I also do think our clutch having twin discs also adds to the shifts taking longer, like it’s slower for the clutch to disengage the spline

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Yeah, I'll try messing with it sometime this week.

So the only parts that I am waiting on are my pistons and rods to come in. The pistons just got done with getting ceramic coated so the parts should be shipping out soon.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yeah, I'll try messing with it sometime this week.

So the only parts that I am waiting on are my pistons and rods to come in. The pistons just got done with getting ceramic coated so the parts should be shipping out soon.
Just curious. Did you do any other friction or thermal coatings?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Nope. From my understanding, and anybody with more knowledge can correct me, that coating the pistons helps with reducing detonation and blow-by.

The reason that I asked was because I did thermal and friction coatings on every engine part it was available for on a supercharged Nissan engine and drove that car for 300K before I sold it. And it was still running good. On the pistons I coated the sides like you are and thermal coated the tops.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
The reason that I asked was because I did thermal and friction coatings on every engine part it was available for on a supercharged Nissan engine and drove that car for 300K before I sold it. And it was still running good. On the pistons I coated the sides like you are and thermal coated the tops.

As far as I know, people have only been coating the pistons because that's what sees combustion.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
By coating the pistons, you're essentially reducing thermal load and heat transfer into the piston which helps improve the life of the piston and cylinder temps, also reflecting the heat helps prevent detonation.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Had my new summer wheels arrive the other day. Prior to mounting tires on them, I will be sending them off to my detailer to have them ceramic coated.

20201107_130641.jpg

20201107_130514.jpg

20201107_130359.jpg

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Also had my pistons w/associated hardware and rods arrive yesterday. The pistons have been ceramic coated which is why they look the way they do. Now I have everything to build my motor but since it's so close to the holidays, I'll most likely wait till January to pull the motor. The TIP was something a little extra from Dan at DBV2 so big shout out to him for hooking that up.

20201107_130218.jpg

20201107_130102.jpg

20201107_130025.jpg

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Just wanted to show a little comparison of the DBV2 TIP to my previous TIP from BMS. Since it's much bigger, I'm having an issue with my Spulen catch can hose that connects to the TIP. I can't get it to fit at all!!! If anybody has any ideas, I'm all ears...

20201107_125125.jpg

20201107_124753.jpg

20201107_125854.jpg

20201107_125631.jpg

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Correction... I can attach the Spulen catch can hose to the TIP. It's after that, the TIP then can't fit in place. After reading my post, I made it seem like that the hose can't fit on to the TIP.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Correction... I can attach the Spulen catch can hose to the TIP. It's after that, the TIP then can't fit in place. After reading my post, I made it seem like that the hose can't fit on to the TIP.

The place that installed mine used an angled connector so the TIP would fit. I think it's a 45% connector but I can't remember which TIP I have.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
So I'm having a little bit of a shitty Monday morning. Currently my car is disabled due to my Fuel-It Flex Fuel Kit leaking fuel at one of the connectors to the sensor. Not sure why that has happened because I haven't messed with the part since install. I emailed George to have him call me so waiting on that along with waiting for this damn flatbed to show up.