GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JerseyDrew's 2016 GTI S build, a.k.a. Jersey Devil

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Hol up, wtf are we talking about again? Are we talking about adding an additional bearing to the rotating assembly, or replacing the oem thrust bearing with something else?
And also, what is it supposed to prevent?

We are talking about the OEM thrust bearings on the crankshaft and finding a solution that prevents crank walk. As you know, the shape of the OEM thrust bearings only go 180* with a single groove and since they don't have full face axial bearings in the crank like the 1.8T engines do, some people are getting crank walk. Why others aren't getting crank walk like myself still remains a mystery. Supposedly some have modified them as seen in the picture below...

Molded journal holders to make room for an additional bearing:
Bottom - 1.8T original
Middle - 2.0 TFSI original
Top - 2.0 TFSI molded for an extra axial bearing from a 1.8T

Thrust Bearing Molds.jpeg

Square1

Go Kart Champion
We are talking about the OEM thrust bearings on the crankshaft and finding a solution that prevents crank walk. As you know, the shape of the OEM thrust bearings only go 180* with a single groove and since they don't have full face axial bearings in the crank like the 1.8T engines do, some people are getting crank walk. Why others aren't getting crank walk like myself still remains a mystery. Supposedly some have modified them as seen in the picture below...

Molded journal holders to make room for an additional bearing:
Bottom - 1.8T original
Middle - 2.0 TFSI original
Top - 2.0 TFSI molded for an extra axial bearing from a 1.8T

View attachment 206239

Would you have anymore pics and sizes?

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Slowly but surely everything is coming along nice with the engine build. I should have my car back by the end of next week and once I do, the break-in process will begin. That has to happen before I can even get it re-tuned by Ed.

Had a set of brand new OEM fuel injectors arrive the other day. There was nothing wrong with the ones already on my car. Just wanted to replace them since the old ones have slightly over 82K miles on them.

OEM Fuel Injectors.jpg

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Still on track to get her back soon?

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
you've got some incomplete combustion going on in cyl 4. Or I guess it might be cylinder 1. the rear most set of exhaust valves.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
So I won't be getting my car back this week. My mechanic has been slammed with work so he's running a little behind but I should be getting it back sometime next week. The block has been cleaned off and the pistons and rods were installed yesterday.

IMG_20210318_190127146.jpg

IMG_20210318_193719689.jpg

IMG_20210318_204157516.jpg

And I just love the look of the MAHLE pistons with a ceramic coat!

IMG_20210319_185643104.jpg
IMG_20210319_185623032.jpg