GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JD Power rates VW and Toyota right next to eachother in reliability

ecsta

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 R
My sister owns a Toyota Prius and I own an R.

Her cost of maintenance has been dirt cheap, and ownership experience has been way easier. In her ownership outside of maintenance she's had to visit the dealership exactly 1 time when her CEL went on because her gas cap broke. Other than them treating her like an idiot she got the new cap and hasn't had any issues since. She treats her car like an appliance and does/spends the absolute bare minimum to keep her warranty valid.

Me I've had a whole bunch of warranty problems (im stock). Was at the dealership monthly for unfixable CEL startup misfires (took over a year of complaining to get a software ecu update from VW that fixed the issue) - so I had a CEL on for basically the entire first year of ownership. They also treated me like an idiot saying I put in 87 gas and any interaction with corporate VW was useless and frustrating. Cracked headlight (not a rock chip - had to fight VW to get it "goodwilled"). Thermostat housing leaked/replaced. Both front wheel bearings died at 40,000km and warrantied. Intermittent ACC errors that I gave up trying to get fixed. I baby the crap out of my car and go way above and beyond the scheduled maintenance.

Anyone that tells me VW is just as reliable as Toyota is either delusional or incompetent. I would still rather be driving the VW but that's a different debate lol.

yakuza70

Passed Driver's Ed
I listen to the CR "Talking Cars" weekly podcast and on a recent podcast they mentioned the '18 GTI reliability was rated as above average, according to their data. I would imagine the Mk 7.5 would be more reliable as they've had years to fix the bugs.

My '18 GTI is the first VW I owned and it's reliability reputation did give me pause. I did have a transmission leak at 4,000 miles that was fixed under warranty. I haven't had any issues since almost two years later. I've owned Toyotas, Nissans, Acuras, and BMWs and they all had their reliability issues - some more than others. From what I've heard, most cars today are much more reliable than cars even from 10-15 years ago (I assume mechanically speaking not necessarily electronically).

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
But it's still empirical data. How many of these owners brought the car in for something and got a NPF or found out it was something else? You're relying on honesty and transparency with no scientific method. It's no more accurate than this forum. The best way to get real reliability data, data that spots trends, is to get completed repair reports from the service writers. I can't see any manufacturers releasing this data, though.
How they gather data is literally the definition of statistical analysis. The larger the sample size the more accurate the results.

Ace92028

Go Kart Newbie
I've had access to CR for the past few years. In their most recent ratings they now recommend both the regular Golf and GTI. I'm guessing it's based on the late year MK7s and MK7.5s. I was shocked because it seems like they trash VW every chance they get.

Right, seems like they start out strong. Then after a couple years they change the ratings. I remember when I first bought my 15 gti the ratings were almost all best rated. Now its almost near opposite.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Right, seems like they start out strong. Then after a couple years they change the ratings. I remember when I first bought my 15 gti the ratings were almost all best rated. Now its almost near opposite.

It's simply the age of the car. A 2015 car rated in 2017 obviously does better than a 2015 car rated in 2020. That's all you're seeing in their charts. They're not "changing the ratings", the car is simply getting older and stuff is failing at a higher rate.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yes, but CR adjusts their rating to take that into account. There comparisons are to other cars of same vintage.

eajr

Go Kart Champion
Story time: I had a 09 Chevy Cobalt, first recall was within the first month of ownership. Numerous other recalls afterwards, including the infamous ignition turning off caused a bumpy road. Had to have it towed to the dealer 3 or 4 times when it wouldn't start and they couldn't figure out the cause was, but ofc still found a way to charge me hundreds to diagnose and "repair" it. Refused to refund when it was discovered the faulty fuel pump (still covered under warranty) was the problem. All on a stock car within the first 5 years and 50,000 miles. Point is: fuck chevy

(that new c8 is 🔥🔥 tho😭 )
Good point Hombre. Nice and direct.

Audi Junkie

Passed Driver's Ed
Our VAG cars from 2011 on have been rock solid. (knock on wood)

Attachments

• jdpower.jpg
    jdpower.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 99