GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JBL and Cerwin Vega Spare Tire Powered Subs

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I wonder if there's any significant different in the JBL and the CV offering? The CV is priced very nicely.
just the logo, you can tell they are made from the same exact unit, the dimensions are literally within 1mm of each other, a shallow sub with a center hole through the voice coil and magnet is pretty rare and i doubt multipe factories are making them.

the 2 companies are just having the top cap and bottom cap as well as the controller cover designed specific to their branding for some separation, plus the power listing are just showing one brand claiming the output at 2 ohms VS the output at 4 ohms.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I was under the impression you get the subwoofer slider in your menu at the headunit that we have for Fender, no? So you can control the sub output? Also, it reconfigures the frequencies to other speakers too yes?
I don't believe so. I don't think there are any changes to the head unit with the Helix, just that it does change the lower cutoff on the existing speakers to give the sub more of the low end range, but you don't get the additional sub slider like the Fender has. I'll check OBD11 to see if you can add it that way, but I'd be surprised if it would even work on the Helix.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed

Attachments

• B29F6A01-EE86-4EB1-A504-2E059EEE4A0D.jpeg
    B29F6A01-EE86-4EB1-A504-2E059EEE4A0D.jpeg
    169.5 KB · Views: 206

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yo guys! I'm grabbing the Cerwin Vega system for my 2019 VW GTI S and wanted to confirm that these are the only other parts I need to complete the install:

https://www.amazon.com/T-Spec-V6-RA...Q3AT66CYJK0&psc=1&refRID=G363A6S15Q3AT66CYJK0

https://www.amazon.com/PAC-SNI-35-V...Q3AT66CYJK0&psc=1&refRID=G363A6S15Q3AT66CYJK0

Thanks in advance!
You don’t need or want that shitty converter.

the cerwin Vega already has a converter built in.

you just need the amp install kit (you don’t need to run the blue remote turn on wire either as the amp has a signal sensing turn on feature)

then just tap the rear door speaker feeds (with a posi-Tap style connector) make sure you tap both the left and right speakers as you’ll get a better/louder signal.

Last edited:

Niner

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 VW GTI S w/PP
You don’t need or want that shitty converter.

the cerwin Vega already has a converter built in.

you just need the amp install kit (you don’t need to run the blue remote turn on wire either as the amp has a signal sensing turn on feature)

then just tap the rear door speaker feeds (with a posi-Tap style connector) make sure you tap both the left and right speakers as you’ll get a better/louder signal.
Thanks, man!

Last edited:

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Well, that sucks.
Helix doesn't give a slider, you retain the same EQ screen for Bass/Mid/Treb as before. The Helix hijacks power and speaker input from the MIB unit, runs it through their DSP/AMP and sends it back to the speakers. Powers the subs, which have a gain knob on them that controls the subs only - but I hear it very sensitive and easy to break, so I haven't messed with it. Once you use the dongle to program the helix for your vehicle (I used 60 as a MK7 GSW with dual rear speakers in the door), it helps mellow out the sounds. There are upgraded speakers that work with the Helix for the VW under their US brand Audiotech Ficher I believer. But it's only for models that have a single rear door speaker from what i've read. The nice thing is it's built for the stock speakers and ease of install. Takes 30 minutes to an hour and you're enjoying your updated sound system.

Helix is nice because it's plug and play for the most part, you can rent the programing dongle for cheap. I think with 25% off at VW of Murrieta (cheapest i've found), and the VW accessories Rebate (Was 15% is now 10%) I picked it up for around 370 shipped.
https://parts.vwofmurrieta.com/p/Vo...igin=pla&partnerDevice=c&userLocation=9031089
https://www.volkswagenrebates.com/

Adurm

Go Kart Newbie
Niner, while you don't need the loc, it does have adjustable level so you might be able to put a cleaner signal to the sub.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Niner, while you don't need the loc, it does have adjustable level so you might be able to put a cleaner signal to the sub.
That 10 dollar converter is not going to clean anything up....

now running the lc7i in my setup did make a minor but noticeable difference in the subs clarity. But the real big difference in this subs output and clarity came when I ran the signal through the lc7i then through the Dayton DSP to the sub, that was night and day.

Shane_Anigans

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
If I can get my local dealer to price-match, the price after rebate for a Helix is going to be roughly the same as the JBL, so do I go for the improved overall sound quality with the Helix, or more bass with the JBL?

Or save some some money and get the CV which appears to be identical to the JBL? Also, if I go with either of the aftermarket solutions, what's the best way to remove the bass from the door speakers? (I haven't messed around with mobile audio since the 1990s)

Last edited: