GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Stack w/ APR

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
Hi All,

Tried searching for this but there wasn't really anything on with my situation.

I recently got APR plus (I know I know... warranty) and was wondering if anyone had a Jb4 stack on top of the low out put APR tune(87 file) or something similar. I spoke with George at BMS and he gave me some info for data logging and what could be done. Just wanting to see if anyone had done something like this?

I am hoping to get the same output as a stage 1 93 tune(330 hp) with the stack. I put in 93 anyway despite being an 87 tune. Nothign to crazy that will cause issues!

Let me know if I am crazy of not!

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You should never run a piggy back with a flashed ECU...

edit: Also, APR Plus = Stage 1 91 AKI, same tune.... the 93 AKI tune brings the power up by 3hp according to APR, is that worth the trouble?

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Sorry i ninja edited something else, look a the post above... that FIY APR Plus is Stage 1 91

To answer the question, the reason is because the JB4 is intercepting and altering the stock ECU commands...

Its expecting to alter the stock ECU tune, not a flashed ECU... if you check the JB1 on their site, they warn against doing this.

You can fiddle with the JB4 and get it to work, but I would not recommend it....

"The JB4 can also be stacked over a flash tuning allowing for fine tuning as well as meth control with safety measures in place and full logging. "

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
Sorry i ninja edited something else, look a the post above... that FIY APR Plus is Stage 1 91

To answer the question, the reason is because the JB4 is intercepting and altering the stock ECU commands...

Its expecting to alter the stock ECU tune, not a flashed ECU... if you check the JB1 on their site, they warn against doing this.

You can fiddle with the JB4 and get it to work, but I would not recommend it....

"The JB4 can also be stacked over a flash tuning allowing for fine tuning as well as meth control with safety measures in place and full logging. "
So even on a custom map 6 after logging is dumb lol? BTW APR Plus is 87 low output octane 290whp. Got it a week ago.

Just haven't seen it discussed at all.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You are right, never noticed that for the GTI.... for the Golf R it really is the 91 AKI stage 1 tune....

1594686408593.png

I wouldn't mess with a JB4 AND flashed ECU... I dont think it will end well, if you lurk here regularly, you will see enough tuning horror stories to thing twice about that.

These cars can be very good when properly tuned... but very bad when not.... Just wait until the warranty ends and then turn it up safely....

Having the piggy back on top of the flashed ECU isnt common in this platform, I cant find an example with Mk7s... maybe someone shows up here who's tried it....

edit: missed a "p"

Last edited:

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
It’s definitely a thing, and I have thought about doing the same while under warranty on my Alltrack. As long as you pay for your JB4 brand-new, you’ll get free lifetime tuning support from George @ BMS. I’d suggest it if you’re interested. Sounds pretty cool to me, have your cake and eat it too

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
I'd bear in mind your powertrain warranty is now through APR not VW. While it seems VW can't yet detect a JB4 was installed.... APR might?

As an aside, how do you like the APR+ tune?

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
I'd bear in mind your powertrain warranty is now through APR not VW. While it seems VW can't yet detect a JB4 was installed.... APR might?

As an aside, how do you like the APR+ tune?
Ah good thing is my local VW dealer is also my APR dealer. I really like the APR plus tune competently changes the car. Just want to see if I can get to normal stage 1 numbers. Greedy I know.....

YamR1rider

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport DSG
Ah good thing is my local VW dealer is also my APR dealer. I really like the APR plus tune competently changes the car. Just want to see if I can get to normal stage 1 numbers. Greedy I know.....

My point is though while VWs scan does not yet seem to pick up the presence of a JB4, what if APR takes a closer look at things.... do you want to risk it?

Yep I'm also a big fan of the plus tune, had it a couple of years now, the DSG tune also. My warranty period will be up in a couple of years...will decide then whether to just keep it as is, or bump it up. While it's always tempting, the cheapskate in me says keep as is, I really like it runs perfectly on 87 gas 😁

cnace2

Passed Driver's Ed
My point is though while VWs scan does not yet seem to pick up the presence of a JB4, what if APR takes a closer look at things.... do you want to risk it?

Yep I'm also a big fan of the plus tune, had it a couple of years now, the DSG tune also. My warranty period will be up in a couple of years...will decide then whether to just keep it as is, or bump it up. While it's always tempting, the cheapskate in me says keep as is, I really like it runs perfectly on 87 gas 😁
I'm not too sure. Thats the big question I guess. I doubt they would be able to tell. If VW can't then why would APR be able to? Ugh I'll probably just hold off for now until the itch is a little stronger lol.