GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

petemac110

Car(s)
MY18 Passat 206TSI
My guess is that your 98RON isn't really 98RON. I would try another station. I'd baseline log at Map1. If you get KR, then note it and move to Map 2. If KR stays the same, then start a Map 6 using Map 2 as a baseline, and tweak from there. I'd also set your FOL to 50 and leave it there.
Depends on gas quality. If this run was uphill, it could also affect it a bit. Next option is do a custom map and drop added boost by another psi if you don't like the current timing. I'd try a different gas station 1st.

I've done a bit of digging and found anecdotal evidence scattered on that wonderful bible-of-truth that is the internet ( ;) ) that some of the stronger, high PEA injector cleaner/fuel system cleaner treatments can have a negative impact on the octane rating of the fuel. The version that I used is the 'once per 6,000 mile/10,000km' style, as opposed to the cheaper, weaker stuff.

The brand of petrol that I use is Australia's largest supplier so it shouldn't be an issue with the overall quality of their fuels by design, but it could certainly be a bad batch. I have two of their outlets within close distance to me, so I'll try the other outlet when I next fill up and will re-log. I'm not keen to change supplier unless I absolutely need to due to coverage and availability of this brand.

Noted re: FOL 50 - sounds like a sensible idea.

I'll try more of a systematic approach into the future to eliminate the potential variables that could be causing this issue.

The engine does perform beautifully though. I certainly have no issues with how it feels - it's only the logs that are causing me grief! ;)

Watch this space over the coming weeks - I need to burn though half a tank of fuel before I can fill it with fresh juice, and it could take a while based upon my current low weekly mileage.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
FOL 50 really isn't needed but shouldn't hurt anything either.

RN_MK7.5R

Car(s)
2017 MK7.5R DSG
Hi guys,

So I am looking for some guidance,

I noticed when stacking that the boost value stays the same,

for instance I have Racingline stage 2 98 file,

on just the file it requests ecu psi at 24.4psi at 5500 rpm and it shows boost also at 24.4psi

when adding boost at that rpm lets say 2psi stack on 5500 it looks like the ecu psi is lowering and the boost is staying the same at 24.4psi.

so my question, is it actually adding boost and just now showing it? Or is the file blocking the stack by lowering ecu psi and keeping boost at 24.4psi?

https://datazap.me/u/rnmk75r/ecu-psi-question?log=0&data=1-4

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Hi guys,

So I am looking for some guidance,

I noticed when stacking that the boost value stays the same,

for instance I have Racingline stage 2 98 file,

on just the file it requests ecu psi at 24.4psi at 5500 rpm and it shows boost also at 24.4psi

when adding boost at that rpm lets say 2psi stack on 5500 it looks like the ecu psi is lowering and the boost is staying the same at 24.4psi.

so my question, is it actually adding boost and just now showing it? Or is the file blocking the stack by lowering ecu psi and keeping boost at 24.4psi?

https://datazap.me/u/rnmk75r/ecu-psi-question?log=0&data=1-4
Strange that your DME_BT is lower than your Boost value even without the JB4 adding boost. That's probably caused by something the flash is doing. I've actually never seen this behavior.

Your JB4 is not adding boost, you're on Map 0. Boost target is 0.
https://datazap.me/u/rnmk75r/ecu-psi-question?log=0&data=1-3-4-15-23

EDIT: Just saw your second log in there with a map 6. I think the problem is additive works off adding on top of the DME_BT and yours is a constant 20.1 psi. Try using absolute Map 6 values instead of addititve.

Last edited:

RN_MK7.5R

Car(s)
2017 MK7.5R DSG
Strange that your DME_BT is lower than your Boost value even without the JB4 adding boost. That's probably caused by something the flash is doing. I've actually never seen this behavior.

Your JB4 is not adding boost, you're on Map 0. Boost target is 0.
https://datazap.me/u/rnmk75r/ecu-psi-question?log=0&data=1-3-4-15-23

EDIT: Just saw your second log in there with a map 6. I think the problem is additive works off adding on top of the DME_BT and yours is a constant 20.1 psi. Try using absolute Map 6 values instead of addititve.
Could you please explain what it means to use absolute map 6 values? Instead of additive values? How does one do that?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Do you mean instead of adding 4psi at 5500 I give it a number of 27psi
To make the JB4 use absolute instead of additive, use a number more than 10 in the 1500 RPM slot. You then enter the desired final value in to each RPM slot. 15,18,20,25, 26, etc etc.

RN_MK7.5R

Car(s)
2017 MK7.5R DSG
To make the JB4 use absolute instead of additive, use a number more than 10 in the 1500 RPM slot. You then enter the desired final value in to each RPM slot. 15,18,20,25, 26, etc etc.
Will this then override the software? Or just add boost onto the file still? Does this not make the file absolute?

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Will this then override the software? Or just add boost onto the file still? Does this not make the file absolute?

I don't understand the question.

Additive Boost means the system will add the value on top of the DME_BT value. There seems to be a problem with this in your case because your DME_BT is lower than your actual boost.

Absolute Boost means the JB4 will try to keep raising boost until it reaches the number in the cell you specified.

RN_MK7.5R

Car(s)
2017 MK7.5R DSG
What
would be a good boost graph for a starting point?

I have never done absolutes, only additive

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
So I've been going through some of he old posts in this thread and came across this Map 6 from user Perry01 from around 2017. Holy smokes...the car pulls hard above 4k. He also has a more agressive map with more above 5k. I didn't get a chance to go pedal to the floor...but even at 3/4 throttle...the car pulls harder than Map 3.

Will my motor asplode?

jb4 map 6.jpeg