GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
@ZuMBLe thanks for looking it over, I'll do another log and try out Map 4 since it's getting cooler here.

Is it even beneficial for me to go map 6 without more mods?

You can try going Map 6 after you do a Map 4 log. Your Map 2 log was really clean so we are looking for limits.

yamba6

Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
So I have a 2019 Golf Alltrack that I recently hooked up a JB4. My car is completely stock and I typically know nothing about tuning cars. I'd love some feedback though as I feel I did 3 logs all in 3rd gear starting at 20mph until the car hit about 6000-6500rpm. Any help is greatly appreciated to know if the car is running good or what needs to be changed or possibly even having a map created.
I have the logs saved as an excel but not sure how to attach here or what I can do to pass that off to show.

Thank you! (From a newb)

Figured out how to get the log if anyone can take a look.

https://datazap.me/u/yamba6/first-logs-pulled?log=0&data=1-4

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
So I have a 2019 Golf Alltrack that I recently hooked up a JB4. My car is completely stock and I typically know nothing about tuning cars. I'd love some feedback though as I feel I did 3 logs all in 3rd gear starting at 20mph until the car hit about 6000-6500rpm. Any help is greatly appreciated to know if the car is running good or what needs to be changed or possibly even having a map created.
I have the logs saved as an excel but not sure how to attach here or what I can do to pass that off to show.

Thank you! (From a newb)

Figured out how to get the log if anyone can take a look.

https://datazap.me/u/yamba6/first-logs-pulled?log=0&data=1-4
There is a JB4 thread in the 1.8 forum. In that thread you'll find JB4 values for a completely stock 1.8.

yamba6

Car(s)
2019 Golf Alltrack
There is a JB4 thread in the 1.8 forum. In that thread you'll find JB4 values for a completely stock 1.8.
Yeah, I noticed after I posted that it said this was in the GTI engine section and I noticed your post and saw cars: Alltrack 6MT. It didn't dawn on me till after I posted. Thank you.
George from BMS got back to me as well with a custom map 6.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion

petemac110

Car(s)
MY18 Passat 206TSI
Hi all,

long time listener, first time poster from Sydney, Australia.

I've recently installed a JB4 to my MY18 Passat R -line 206TSI (detuned Mk7 Golf R engine, but exact same engine and IS38 turbo- 280hp/206kW and 350Nm) with the DQ250 six speed DSG box.

My only mods are intake-related - snow grate removal, opening up the inlet pre-airbox, and the stock inlet pipe installed between the factory airbox and an aftermarket turbo inlet elbow thingy ;)

FYI the car is mainly a family hauler with a bit of spirted driving every now and then when I'm in the car alone. I mainly enjoy the extra torque that the JB4 offers through the midrange. Realistically, apart from logging on my 'private road', I will rarely wind out third on the street and never fourth. No track days or drag strip action is planned. I do like the feeling of Map 2 for this very reason - strong low/midrange torque.

Australia gets hot in summer - 35-45 degree celsius (95-113 degrees F) are not uncommon.

Attached are the following links:

A run that I did a few days through gears 2-4, although it appears I wasn't using full throttle in gear 2. No boost redux on this run, and FOL at 45.

Map 2:

datazap.me | petemac110 | Log 1635653218

Two runs that I did earlier today - added a redux of 60 to see what it would do for the boost flare after shifting. FOL at 45 once again.

Map 2:

datazap.me | petemac110 | Map 2 redux 60 FOL 45

Map 3:

datazap.me | petemac110 | Map 3 Redux 60 FOL 45

The car pulls strongly and feels great, but I note the following:
  • Timing isn't as smooth as I'd like - timing is consistently being pulled throughout the last two logs in particular. The ambient temperature was 10 degrees celsius higher on for the last two logs (25 degrees) whilst the Saturday first log was cooler at around 15 degrees) and the IATs were lower.
  • The boost flare remains after adjusting a redux of 60 to the last two logs. Any thoughts/tips?
  • AFRs look reasonable, mainly in the low 13s and high 12s under load and higher boost.
  • Fuel trims hit a ceiling of 40 in some runs. Is this acceptable? Should I leave it or adjust the FOL to see what impact it has?

Should I also log Map 1 to see if its a bit nicer on the timing side of things?

Are my logs fit for purpose? Let me know if I need to improve my technique.

The car has done 55k kms or 35k miles. It is currently half of the way though a tank of petrol which included a high PEA injector cleaner, and is probably due for new sparkplugs in 5k (I haven't inspected them, but that's what the service schedule suggests). I'm not sure whether the injector cleaner could have an impact on the effective octane rating of the fuel and thus encourage knock. If this is likely to be an issue, I will run the tank low and full it up with fresh fuel and re-log.

I'd appreciate any thoughts or insights! Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

petemac110

Car(s)
MY18 Passat 206TSI
Another three quick logs to add to my post above.

Map 2, Redux 60, and FOL increased to 50 - still plenty of knock it would seem:

datazap.me | petemac110 | Map 2 redux 60 FOL 50

Map 0 - baseline OEM tune - interestingly some very minor knock showing on IGN 3, and the throttle vs pedal behaviour is also interesting!! Otherwise clean as you'd hope.

datazap.me | petemac110 | Log map 0 stock tune MY18 Passat 206 TSI

And lastly - I stuffed up this run by starting in second gear, but this was a Map 6 tune that I prepared with between 0.5 - 1psi less across the boost map compared with the Map 4 figures that George quoted elsewhere in this thread. I wanted to see what she'd do, but again, the run wasn't great... and I seemed to ease off the pedal a bit in third and fourth. Interestingly, the IGN 1 looks possibly the best of any of my logs, although there is still knock showing on IGN 2, 3 and 4.

datazap.me | petemac110 | Custom map 6 conservative FOL 50

In my eagerness to get home, I forgot to log Map 1!

I think I will try to address some of the variables at play (fuel, spark plugs etc) before doing further logs. It may be worth me trying an even more conservative map 6 with lower boost levels yet again, however I'm a little surprised at the amount of knock showing up. Is there a chance that the knock sensor is faulty?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
They look functionally fine to me but without margin for error and overall timing is low. Try map 1 and if it feels better, just leave it. We get a little to tweaky at times.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Another three quick logs to add to my post above.

Map 2, Redux 60, and FOL increased to 50 - still plenty of knock it would seem:

datazap.me | petemac110 | Map 2 redux 60 FOL 50

Map 0 - baseline OEM tune - interestingly some very minor knock showing on IGN 3, and the throttle vs pedal behaviour is also interesting!! Otherwise clean as you'd hope.

datazap.me | petemac110 | Log map 0 stock tune MY18 Passat 206 TSI

And lastly - I stuffed up this run by starting in second gear, but this was a Map 6 tune that I prepared with between 0.5 - 1psi less across the boost map compared with the Map 4 figures that George quoted elsewhere in this thread. I wanted to see what she'd do, but again, the run wasn't great... and I seemed to ease off the pedal a bit in third and fourth. Interestingly, the IGN 1 looks possibly the best of any of my logs, although there is still knock showing on IGN 2, 3 and 4.

datazap.me | petemac110 | Custom map 6 conservative FOL 50

In my eagerness to get home, I forgot to log Map 1!

I think I will try to address some of the variables at play (fuel, spark plugs etc) before doing further logs. It may be worth me trying an even more conservative map 6 with lower boost levels yet again, however I'm a little surprised at the amount of knock showing up. Is there a chance that the knock sensor is faulty?
Hey, Australia has pump E85 now right? 8 liters per tank would clear up all the KR, just check an adjust FOL when needed.

petemac110

Car(s)
MY18 Passat 206TSI
They look functionally fine to me but without margin for error and overall timing is low. Try map 1 and if it feels better, just leave it. We get a little to tweaky at times.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I really should try Map 1 and see how it performs and logs.

I did some further reading last night and it would seem that whilst the magnitude of the ignition correction is low, the frequency with which it is occurring (and the low overall timing as you’ve noted!) isn’t great.

Map 1 is the logical next step.

petemac110

Car(s)
MY18 Passat 206TSI
Map 1 is the logical next step.

OK, I did a quick Map 1 log this evening, although on a different road which a relatively steep hill, in third gear - not the same road as my other pulls.

I did adjust the FOL back down to 45 too - maybe I should have left it at 45 for the sake of comparison, however the KR was present to the same extent in the previous FOL 45 and 50 logs so I think this isn't a relevant factor.

A similar amount of KR is present on Map 1! I'm very frustrated. I'm really not sure whether this tank of fuel is bad, whether the (strong PEA-based) injector cleaner has impacted negatively on the characteristics of the current tank of fuel, whether the plugs are contributing in some way, whether the knock sensor is playing up... I just don't know.

datazap.me | petemac110 | Map 1 Redux 0 FOL 45

Something definitely doesn't stack up - a Mk7 Golf R really should have no issues with Map 1!

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
OK, I did a quick Map 1 log this evening, although on a different road which a relatively steep hill, in third gear - not the same road as my other pulls.

I did adjust the FOL back down to 45 too - maybe I should have left it at 45 for the sake of comparison, however the KR was present to the same extent in the previous FOL 45 and 50 logs so I think this isn't a relevant factor.

A similar amount of KR is present on Map 1! I'm very frustrated. I'm really not sure whether this tank of fuel is bad, whether the (strong PEA-based) injector cleaner has impacted negatively on the characteristics of the current tank of fuel, whether the plugs are contributing in some way, whether the knock sensor is playing up... I just don't know.

datazap.me | petemac110 | Map 1 Redux 0 FOL 45

Something definitely doesn't stack up - a Mk7 Golf R really should have no issues with Map 1!
Depends on gas quality. If this run was uphill, it could also affect it a bit. Next option is do a custom map and drop added boost by another psi if you don't like the current timing. I'd try a different gas station 1st.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
My guess is that your 98RON isn't really 98RON. I would try another station. I'd baseline log at Map1. If you get KR, then note it and move to Map 2. If KR stays the same, then start a Map 6 using Map 2 as a baseline, and tweak from there. I'd also set your FOL to 50 and leave it there.