GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

phoffman183

Car(s)
16 GTI SE
Looks like Stage 1 or 1+. I'd start with APR, then Unitronic.
I just received confirmation from APR, I guess I need to work on a stacked Map 6 tune. This explains why the car seemed much faster than my previous MK6 GLI!

Your vehicle was tuned by us on 05/29/19 by New German Performance Nova to a stage 1 tune on 93 octane.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
I just received confirmation from APR, I guess I need to work on a stacked Map 6 tune. This explains why the car seemed much faster than my previous MK6 GLI!

Your vehicle was tuned by us on 05/29/19 by New German Performance Nova to a stage 1 tune on 93 octane.

Or sell the JB4, enjoy your 1+, and spend the money on other stuff like tires, wheels, sway bar, etc.

jluu

Hi everyone hope all is well. Just picked up a used JB4 and want some insight. Located in Vancouver BC Canada. Running Chevron 94 octane ethanol free gasoline on a 2018 GTI Autobahn (220hp engine) DSG. Stock engine at the moment but will be getting a CTS turbo inlet pipe/elbow and CTS intake with SAI shortly. Probably will block the passenger back side of the intake duct and cut out the driver side for more air flow. This will be the extent of the mods for the time being.

Total noob here so wondering if I should just leave it on map 1 or have something done up for map 6? If something for map 6, where and how do I start?

I just want it to be running optimally and efficiently as possible.

Thanks in advance for everyone's feedback.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Just do logs before the mods and see. Load the latest FW, log map 2 and if clean, try map3. If your octane is really 94, should be doable. Don't think those other components will do much for you outside of your wallet.

jluu

Just do logs before the mods and see. Load the latest FW, log map 2 and if clean, try map3. If your octane is really 94, should be doable. Don't think those other components will do much for you outside of your wallet.
Unfortunately our 94 is not comparable to USA 92 based on testing I've read online and one guy comparing different top tier gas available here. Chevron 94 is best available without mixing.

So I think map 2 or 3 is out of the question for me.

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Unfortunately our 94 is not comparable to USA 92 based on testing I've read online and one guy comparing different top tier gas available here. Chevron 94 is best available without mixing.

So I think map 2 or 3 is out of the question for me.

Chevron 94, especially in BC is known by local tuners to be incredibly inconsistent in terms of quality. They get knock counts and timing pull all over the place from tank to tank, and even I had issues with Chevron 94 knocking in a JDM vehicle that was rated for the equivalent 95 AKI. However, all those problems went away with Shell 91 despite having to map more conservatively. Even the JDM I had was way happier running it. It's unfortunate that the border is closed for easy access to 92.

EDIT: there's actually a video on this!

Last edited:

jluu

Chevron 94, especially in BC is known by local tuners to be incredibly inconsistent in terms of quality. They get knock counts and timing pull all over the place from tank to tank, and even I had issues with Chevron 94 knocking in a JDM vehicle that was rated for the equivalent 95 AKI. However, all those problems went away with Shell 91 despite having to map more conservatively. Even the JDM I had was way happier running it. It's unfortunate that the border is closed for easy access to 92.

EDIT: there's actually a video on this!

Yeah I watched that guys video. He tested many different fuels and for his S4 Shell was extremely terrible and got major knock. Chevron 94 worked best for him. It was on his part 2 of 3 video. He also did a follow up video on Shell vs Chevron on part 3

Drincc

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 GTI
Yeah I watched that guys video. He tested many different fuels and for his S4 Shell was extremely terrible and got major knock. Chevron 94 worked best for him. It was on his part 2 of 3 video. He also did a follow up video on Shell vs Chevron on part 3

The local Evo guys have more consistency problems with 94 than 91, but I'm guessing the tolerances are different for VAG. I'm not bothering giving 94 a look again based on my previous experience, unless they've finally figured out the consistency issues.

Jambroni

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra ST
Hey @ChrisMk77 (and any other expert here), is there any reason to do an ECU flash? I understand fueling can be controlled with ECU flash but my car runs great already. I do not plan any hardware mods.

My car has no mods apart from intake and I run an E25 mix. High 11s on the quarter and 100-200 in the low 10s with one dipping down into the high 9. Cupra ST which is the equivalent to Golf R wagon.

I run lower boost now during summer since I'm on stock IC.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Hey @ChrisMk77 (and any other expert here), is there any reason to do an ECU flash? I understand fueling can be controlled with ECU flash but my car runs great already. I do not plan any hardware mods.

My car has no mods apart from intake and I run an E25 mix. High 11s on the quarter and 100-200 in the low 10s with one dipping down into the high 9. Cupra ST which is the equivalent to Golf R wagon.

I run lower boost now during summer since I'm on stock IC.
I think you would like a good ecu/tcu tune combo just for the better driving character, but also depends if you have warranty left or not.

Not sure though who has the best tuning platform with support for your car.

Jambroni

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra ST
I think you would like a good ecu/tcu tune combo just for the better driving character, but also depends if you have warranty left or not.

Not sure though who has the best tuning platform with support for your car.

Cheers. Warranty runs out next month due to milage. Well I wanted to go with EQT but car is not supported appearantly since the car isn't sold in NA. So it would be a local tuner, not sure how much of an improvement it would be. ;)

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Cheers. Warranty runs out next month due to milage. Well I wanted to go with EQT but car is not supported appearantly since the car isn't sold in NA. So it would be a local tuner, not sure how much of an improvement it would be. ;)
Edi right? They seem to get good performance out of our cars, hope that driveability and dsg tunes are great also.

Ha det gött i sommar och om du har vägarna förbi Kalmar/Öland så får du ta en runda i min. 😄

Jambroni

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Seat Leon Cupra ST
Edi right? They seem to get good performance out of our cars, hope that driveability and dsg tunes are great also.

Ha det gött i sommar och om du har vägarna förbi Kalmar/Öland så får du ta en runda i min. 😄

Yup EDI look great, been in contact with them before, now that warranty is almost gone my fingers itch ;)

Tack för erbjudandet! :D

vwGTILife

Go Kart Newbie

SO3

Hey Guys,
i think i got a problem and i would like to know what you think about that "issue".
first of all, its not till the redline - i know that, road was not long enough. But i discovered some serious knock on ign2 and ign3 even its now high on boost. i run a map6, very smooth as far as i think. After i discovered the knock, i switched back to map1 and even here i got knock on Cyl2.

8.8 firmware with BT adapter
Fuel is 98ROZ (German Spec)
Car: Skoda Octavia 5e vRS (CHHB Engine)
Mods: Euro6 catted Downpipe, OEM intake and Stainless Steel Exhaust + GFB recirculating valve

by the way, it detects also knock on Cylinder2 when its on 30% pedal how can that be?

Map6:
https://datazap.me/u/so3/log-1623913458?log=0&data=1-4-11-14-18-25-26

Map1:
https://datazap.me/u/so3/log-1623913458?log=1&data=1-3-4-18-25-26

Map6: no boost but knock on Cylinder 2???
https://datazap.me/u/so3/log-1623913458?log=2&data=1-4-5-9-11-14-18-19-26

EDIT: did another Map2 run, and some knock again:
https://datazap.me/u/so3/log-1623920828?log=2&data=1-4-14-18-25-26

i did also some Map0 pulls, what should i say, no KR on any Cyl...
is it maybe crappy 98ROZ fuel?
i was wondering because many other people run 23psi or more boost :-/

any help is appreciated
thanks

Last edited: