GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 Logging, stacking and Map 6 Discussion

Mk7_Harare

Passed Driver's Ed
I agree with Shorty^ You might want to taper the boost more gradually from 4500-5000 onwards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheers man, I'll try some better figures over the weekend. Just wasn;t too sure what to put on the lower end of the rpm, never really paid attention to what the boost was between 1500-2500

ALE 5six1

Ready to race!
So went to the track On Friday and it was my First time using jb4 from a dead stop and ran into issues in 2nd gear, only with map 1 and only 2nd gear. Did 3rd gear pulls without issue.
Fuel = 93 with 2.5 gallons of E85
Mods= drop in filter and catted downpipe.
JB4 settings = Boost safety 25 for map 1, 26 for map 6. 1st gear max boost 18. 2nd gear max boost 20

Here are 3 runs with the issue in 2nd gear on map 1
https://datazap.me/u/ale-5six1/3-runs-map-1-issue-2nd-gear?log=0&data=1-4

So I made a custom map 6 tune and was able to run it without issue.
Here are 2 runs with map 6
https://datazap.me/u/ale-5six1/map-6-no-2nd-gear-issues?log=0&data=1-4

UPDATE: Spoke to George and learned

“Map 1 is a additive map so with 20 in the max boost second its trying to cut 20psi. Set the value to say 7 and it will cut the 4psi of the map and 3psi form the ECU. ”

Meaning, If you are on map 1 or 2, then the max boost per gear is additive.
If you are on map 6 then the max boost per gear can either be additive or absolute, based on how you you set your boost by RPM

He also said “We are looking at a way to make the max boost absolute only which will suite everyone.”

Thanks everyone!

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon

“Map 1 is a additive map so with 20 in the max boost second its trying to cut 20psi. Set the value to say 7 and it will cut the 4psi of the map and 3psi form the ECU. ”

If you are on map 6 then the max boost per gear can either be additive or absolute, based on how you you set your boost by RPM

He also said “We are looking at a way to make the max boost absolute only which will suite everyone.”

Thanks everyone!

Thought max boost/gear is global, meaning it's the same for all maps :confused:. Learn something new all the time.

Don't know if the max. boost/gear over-rides this of not (I'm sure it does, otherwise why have it), but you can still get the boost higher with additive if you turn off the nanny. I believe you change 6-cyl timing logging from 0 to 1. As default, boost is limited to 9psi additional over ECU. Set to 1 allows it to go higher if necessary to reach higher target boost. Seems counter-intuitive if you're trying to limit boost in the lower gears, but beneficial if your trying to add lots more in the higher gears.

Last edited:

NeedSleep

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R DSG
Thought max boost/gear is global, meaning it's the same for all maps :confused:. Learn something new all the time.

Don't know if the max. boost/gear over-rides this of not (I'm sure it does, otherwise why have it), but you can still get the boost higher with additive if you turn off the nanny. I believe you change 6-cyl timing logging from 0 to 1. As default, boost is limited to 9psi additional over ECU. Set to 1 allows it to go higher if necessary to reach higher target boost. Seems counter-intuitive if you're trying to limit boost in the lower gears, but beneficial if your trying to add lots more in the higher gears.

It's global in that you can use it for all maps. It's just that if you're on an additive map, max boost per gear expects an additive value. If you're on an absolute map, max boost per gear expects an absolute value. It's boost safety that's always expecting an absolute value. I think it was TwinDad or something who mentioned this before (buried in this thread).

I've had max boost in 1st gear set to 2psi for a while now on my additive map 6 so that it adds at most 2psi over stock.

Thanks everyone!

So basically...you valeted yourself haha. I think that subtraction stuff came in with the valet map updates.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
It's global in that you can use it for all maps. It's just that if you're on an additive map, max boost per gear expects an additive value. If you're on an absolute map, max boost per gear expects an absolute value. It's boost safety that's always expecting an absolute value. I think it was TwinDad or something who mentioned this before (buried in this thread).

I've had max boost in 1st gear set to 2psi for a while now on my additive map 6 so that it adds at most 2psi over stock.

That makes sense and was how I thought it operated, particularly in regard to boost safety being absolute.

So basically...you valeted yourself haha. I think that subtraction stuff came in with the valet map updates.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

And that also makes sense. Was confused why it was subtracting and figured it may have come about in recent update. I'm still on 60/6//5 due to retaining auto-clear, and don't know what has come after other than CARB friendly stuff.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
Good running JB4 car. I take it the DV lube sorted things out?

Thanks Diggs...Negative. While I did replace the DV with the newer revision, prior to doing this George sent me a new file with revised fw. which seems to have resolved the issue of boost not being recirculated/dumped on throttle closing. I’m impressed with this device and car.

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Thanks Diggs...Negative. While I did replace the DV with the newer revision, prior to doing this George sent me a new file with revised fw. which seems to have resolved the issue of boost not being recirculated/dumped on throttle closing. I’m impressed with this device and car.

Ahh. Yeah this last firmware seems to have caused a lot of issues on cars.
I keep seeing weird shit in logs and codes popup that people have never had before. Glad they got something new out quickly.

bigdave79

Ready to race!
Ahh. Yeah this last firmware seems to have caused a lot of issues on cars.

I keep seeing weird shit in logs and codes popup that people have never had before. Glad they got something new out quickly.
Yeah I've been getting some weird codes since the last update. But I don't see any newer firmware on n54tech.com.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

blaqsheep

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
IS38 GTI
Hey Diggs, would you be willing to look at basic driving on map 0 just to make sure everything is okay with the car before I start cranking it up?

I mentioned to George that ever since I installed the JB4 the car feels a bit stuttery.

Take logs and upload to datazap.