GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

JB4 for GTI

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
I did a search for jb4 and didn't come up with any results. Is there such a thing for the GTI?

I have a 2019 so don't want to void the warranty until 6 years later ?

Coming from a Q60 which had jb4.

Thanks

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
JB4 is a neat tool for someone who doesn’t want to reflash the ecu. There’s no guarantee that your warranty won’t get voided due to traces it leaves behind (both physically in the form of the wiretap at the O2 sensor wire and the rubber grommet at the firewall being perforated and digitally in the form of logs at the ecu if a deep investigation is performed), but it’s user friendly, relatively easy to install and the end user support from George is top notch. I was amazed as to what it could do and how the user input map is adjusted over data logging and email correspondence.

For me, it’s easy to go from Map 0 (factory) or Map 1 (roughly +4psi} for a track day, Then Map 2 (roughly +5psi) or Map 6 (scalable up to +7.9psi) for daily driving/ around town fun! All controlled from my iPhone.

Last edited:

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
JB4 is a neat tool for someone who doesn’t want to reflash the ecu. There’s no guarantee that your warranty won’t get voided due to traces it leaves behind (both physically in the form of the wiretap at the O2 sensor wire and the rubber grommet at the firewall being perforated and digitally in the form of logs at the ecu if a deep investigation is performed), but it’s user friendly, relatively easy to install and the end user support from George is top notch. I was amazed as to what it could do and how the user input map is adjusted over data logging and email correspondence.

For me, it’s easy to go from Map 0 (factory) or Map 1 (roughly +4psi} for a track day, Then Map 2 (roughly +5psi) or Mao 6 (scalable up to +7.9psi) for daily driving/ around town fun! All controlled from my iPhone.
You are scaring me with the warranty concerns. My 2019 has 6 more years of bumper to bumper warranty. Don't want to jeopardize that.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
You are scaring me with the warranty concerns. My 2019 has 6 more years of bumper to bumper warranty. Don't want to jeopardize that.

If you want a mild performance increase with no physical trace, then go with a Neuspeed Power Module on +5 or a JB1! Plug n play at 2 sensors and you’re done! Removal for warranty/service is easy.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
If you want a mild performance increase with no physical trace, then go with a Neuspeed Power Module on +5 or a JB1! Plug n play at 2 sensors and you’re done! Removal for warranty/service is easy.
Can VW service see the boost was increased from some external controller like jb1?

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
From what I was told...maybe from long term fuel trims...but not really traceable. I got this from someone at VW...as in VWoA.

I'm running a Neuspeed Power Module with a Wagner downpipe. I've also run the JB1 back to back to the NPM.

From what I've noticed with both is that they give you a nice kick down low...but as the RPMs go up...I can really feel the car tapering off. The DP helped it a bit up top. I currently have the NPM running 7 psi with 3 gallons of E85 topped and off with 91.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
That’s a little paranoid... the hole in the grommet could be anything... that where my power wire is run through for my stereo system, and the O2 tap fears could be dealt with by changing the O2 as you tap on the hardware side of the connector and not the engine harness.

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
That’s a little paranoid... the hole in the grommet could be anything... that where my power wire is run through for my stereo system, and the O2 tap fears could be dealt with by changing the O2 as you tap on the hardware side of the connector and not the engine harness.

I put a hole in the grommet for the vacuum line to my boost gauge.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S

I tried using that EBay loom. You can have mine- it throws a code.

As for the stereo or boost gauge lines running through the grommet, that’s fine if you actually have stereo equipment or a boost gauge!

I wouldn’t say the OP is being paranoid- I went through the same thought process of what to get/ how to be as stealthy about it as much as possible last Fall when I got the ‘19 GTi. I tried NPM at first- it was ridiculously easy to install and use and a no brainer to remove for service.

I ended up going JB4 for being able to switch through the maps for track days, knowing I could still take it all out in a pinch for major warranty service- yet knowing it does leave those minor traces that it was there- something a knowledgeable service tech could look for. Both the pinhole in the wire and the pierced grommet could be replaced but there’s added steps there that the OP should be aware of before making his decision.

dtran11

Go Kart Newbie
Thanks all for your great feedback. I'm currently thinking of jb1 now and jb4 in the future. I just want to set and forget for now. Would I need any other mods like a better clutch if I go with jb1? Not looking to spend a lot of money. Thanks

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I tried using that EBay loom. You can have mine- it throws a code.

As for the stereo or boost gauge lines running through the grommet, that’s fine if you actually have stereo equipment or a boost gauge!

I wouldn’t say the OP is being paranoid- I went through the same thought process of what to get/ how to be as stealthy about it as much as possible last Fall when I got the ‘19 GTi. I tried NPM at first- it was ridiculously easy to install and use and a no brainer to remove for service.

I ended up going JB4 for being able to switch through the maps for track days, knowing I could still take it all out in a pinch for major warranty service- yet knowing it does leave those minor traces that it was there- something a knowledgeable service tech could look for. Both the pinhole in the wire and the pierced grommet could be replaced but there’s added steps there that the OP should be aware of before making his decision.
I wasn’t say the OP was paranoid, I was saying your post was, haha.

What I was saying about the hole is that it’s fine even if you don’t have that stuff installed “still” because a hole it is, is not a reference that it can ONLY be from a piggyback tune. Even the pin hole be assumed from a “afr gauge” tap... the techs are not searching though a car trying to detect the use of a piggyback tuner in a effort to have VWOA deny a warranty claim, That would be taking money out of his or her pocket as well as the dealers.

Yes I agree if you want to be 100% safe just don’t even attempt a jb4.

Last edited: