CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Just curious...

When visiting the dealer for services, do you:

1) Remove the JB unit...

or

2) Leave it in and tell the (assumingly mod friendly) dealer it’s there...

or

3) Use a certified shop for regular maintenance and only visit the dealer when a warranty claim is made which brings us back to question 1).

I’m waiting to hear back from a friend who is s Service Advisor for my dealer. On his watch, I was never plugged in during my ED Stage 2 GTI days. Wanted some input from current JB owners.

Thanks!

ashiun

Ready to race!
Remove it before bringing it in. Taking it off and putting it back on takes like 5 minutes unless you have an R, which means you need to jack up the car to access the underside.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
What he ^ said, remove it

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

tknj99

Ready to race!
I think the safe route is to remove the JB4 including the AFR wire tap while leaving the molex wire with the OBD connection dongle disconnected and tucked away.

Oldschoolmk7

Go Kart Champion
If the jb4 is the only major mod definitely pull it. Not worth getting flagged.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
You didn't say why you're going to a dealer. If it's for major drivetrain warranty work take it off. VW will likely send a field rep to inspect your car. They'll look for boost controllers.

What does your long term mixture reading now? Set your piggy to zero additive boost and see what it reads daily. You should have VCDS scans from when you were stock for comparison.

slow12s

Ready to race!
good thing this thread came up, I was going to ask the same

getting a jb4 this month (if a local deal goes through, I'll be picking it up tonight) and need a couple small things at the dealership (oil change and bluetooth module needs to be replaced as it doesn't play music/show a connected device half the time)...as much as I'd love to install it tonight if I do pick it up, I'll wait until this weekend and play it safe for the install and get the oil change done this week

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Thanks for the input. My R is currently stock, but a JB unit is in its future.

Just wanted to know what fellow users practice.

CarlosCanizares

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I think the safe route is to remove the JB4 including the AFR wire tap while leaving the molex wire with the OBD connection dongle disconnected and tucked away.

I was curious about the OBD plug. Tucking it away was my thought.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
I just tuck the obd plug for stuff like oil changes. Haven't had any real warranty work yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doolin64

Passed Driver's Ed
Remove it before bringing it in. Taking it off and putting it back on takes like 5 minutes unless you have an R, which means you need to jack up the car to access the underside.

Not to thread hijack, but I thought you need to jack the car up to remove an airdam to isntall JB1/JB4 on our cars. I have a JB1 sitting in my garage waiting to be installed (I want warmer temps and my car to hit a 1000 miles). The two plugs up top are a piece of cake. It's the bottom one I'm questioning based on what you said.

mattd502

Ready to race!
Not to thread hijack, but I thought you need to jack the car up to remove an airdam to isntall JB1/JB4 on our cars. I have a JB1 sitting in my garage waiting to be installed (I want warmer temps and my car to hit a 1000 miles). The two plugs up top are a piece of cake. It's the bottom one I'm questioning based on what you said.

On the gti it’s not necessarily required to go underneath the car it all depends on whether or not your build allows you to reach down there, I didn’t even attempt it I just went underneath, trying to reach down seemed like a serious headache and I’m 6’5 and thin so my arms had the reach but it wasn’t worth the trouble.

doolin64

Passed Driver's Ed
On the gti it’s not necessarily required to go underneath the car it all depends on whether or not your build allows you to reach down there, I didn’t even attempt it I just went underneath, trying to reach down seemed like a serious headache and I’m 6’5 and thin so my arms had the reach but it wasn’t worth the trouble.

I'm 6'2 athletic build...I'm guessing I'll go under. Definitely different than my truck. With my truck I can roll under it on a creeper while it's sitting on the ground.

TQ_MKVII

Ready to race!
Remove it. I pull the car on ramps and remove the battery and it still only takes 20min.

I'm 6' ~215 and have no idea how people get that bottom plug from the top. Hell the first time I removed the stock plug it was a huge PITA and I had to use a flat head to manipulate the clip to get it to release. Couldn't get it to come loose by hand.