GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jax fl meets

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
What’s new, dudes? We’re getting closer to some cooler install-Sean’s-intercooler weather 🤞
The car loved the cold weather last night, I can't wait to get the IC on.

I was a little shaky driving during the day, but laid down a couple smoking runs at night. After day runs, I was 3 tenths behind in STH and 15th in pax. I pulled out a 1.7 sec lead at night. Took the class win and 6th overall pax. The night runs felt good, like the old days when I could make a car dance.

Maybe we can do a BBQ or something before it cools off too much.

Last edited:

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
What’s new, dudes? We’re getting closer to some cooler install-Sean’s-intercooler weather 🤞

Not a whole lot new here. Would love to watch you guys install Sean's intercooler so I can see what I'm getting myself into next spring haha.

The car loved the cold weather last night, I can't wait to get the IC on.

I was a little shaky driving during the day, but laid down a couple smoking runs at night. After day runs, I was 3 tenths behind in STH and 15th in pax. I pulled out a 1.7 sec lead at night. Took the class win and 6th overall pax. The night runs felt good, like the old days when I could make a car dance.

Maybe we can do a BBQ or something before it cools off too much.

Oh dang man, I though that the night autocross was at the end of the month. I would have totally come out!

and yeah, I'd be down for a BBQ/install your intercooler day ;)

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Getting bored with Stage 1 already.... I hate that the top end just falls right off. Is adding a downpipe/intercooler and going stage 2 a huge difference? Or should I go straight for the big turbo :p

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Getting bored with Stage 1 already.... I hate that the top end just falls right off. Is adding a downpipe/intercooler and going stage 2 a huge difference? Or should I go straight for the big turbo :p
What tune do you have?

If you're after more top end, you'll never get it with an IS20. It's always going to be out of breath at 5500 rpms. What you will gain with a DP and IC is faster spool and more mid range hp and tq.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I rode in a car with stage 2. Honestly wasn't a huge noticeable difference. Spool seemed a faster, and yes there was a little more midrange. But the IS20 still isn't designed to flow great at the top-end.... :chanting: swap it. swap it. swap it. swap it.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I have eqt stage 1 (93 octane) at the moment. It's lovely around town but falls on its face on the highway. Sounds like a larger turbo is in order here.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have eqt stage 1 (93 octane) at the moment. It's lovely around town but falls on its face on the highway. Sounds like a larger turbo is in order here.
Do the IC first, which you need for big turbo anyways, then see if you want to do it.

gatoraviator

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GTI SE w/PP
Stoopid question. A turbo upgrade for a GTI is IS20 to IS38 (which the Golf R has). With that said, what would a turbo upgrade for a Golf R be?

Are you saying if we GTI owners upgraded to IS38 we would be equally fast as an R?

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Do the IC first, which you need for big turbo anyways, then see if you want to do it.

IC will help with the top end a bit too

That's the plan. IC after the holidays hopefully then I'll go from there.

Stoopid question. A turbo upgrade for a GTI is IS20 to IS38 (which the Golf R has). With that said, what would a turbo upgrade for a Golf R be?

Are you saying if we GTI owners upgraded to IS38 we would be equally fast as an R?

A stage 1 GTI is about as fast as a stock golf R from a roll, it'll never match it from a dig since you know awd and such lol.

There's tons of aftermarket turbo options that bolt up to the R and GTI thought.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
So it's been awhile, how are you guys? I recently purchased the innovate ethanol content sensor/gauge. Planning on doing an e30 tune in the near future. Don't worry, Intercooler is still high on the list!

Also just out of curiosity, I've been wondering (and cant' remember if we talked about it before), why did you guys decide on GTI's instead of Golf R's? and why DSG/Manual?