GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jax fl meets

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Welp, yesterday did not go too well. On my second run, while bracing during the first turn, I felt a "pop" then a sudden sharp pain in my left lower back, down my hips and left leg. When I finished the run, I couldn't even get out of my car, let alone squat down to check tire pressure and what not. So, I just stayed in the car and decided to finish up my runs the best I could. But without the ability to use my core to hold myself in place, I was relying solely on my arms, which meant my steering was all f*ed up and I was flopping around in the cabin. Probably was hilarious to watch from the outside 🤣. And I'm positive my tires got overheated because I couldn't let out any pressure. So, didn't really get a lot of fun or improvement out of the last 3 runs since I was in pain and unable to drive to the fullest. After, yada yada yada explained I couldn't work the next heat and eventually got my car loaded and tires aired down and headed home.

Pain just got worse and worse after I got home. Ended up at the ER last night with some of the worst pain I've felt in my life. X-Rays didn't show any obvious issues so the assumption is a severe muscle strain. Was kind of inconclusive, which I assume is good. Doc gave me some shots and pills and I went to bed. Feeling a bit better this morning.

I'm pretty bummed since the course was really awesome. It was the Kart track with almost no cones on it. Basically just a mini road course. Had some very interesting turns and actually was a really good lesson in apexes. Would've been a lot of fun, so I will definitely try to make it to another event there in the future.

Here's a video from someone else:

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Dude, that's sucks, I hope you recover soon. I'll show you my trick with the belts that helps keep you in place a little better. In the past I used the Schrothe quick connect belts and they work well too.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
I hope you feel better. Maybe time for some racing seats

..https://www.bmptuning.com/products/corbeau-sportline-rrx?variant=32021531590774

These would be sick looking.

Also I know nothing about autocross these could be the worst seats ever. Lol

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Those are beautiful seats! Honestly, the stock seats are pretty supportive and the bolsters do a good job. But even a racing seat you need to use some core strength for stability, I'm sure. Once I'm healed up, I'm sure it will be fine. Have never had issues before. Although, I def. want to see what secret sauce Sean is using to lock himself in.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Those are beautiful seats! Honestly, the stock seats are pretty supportive and the bolsters do a good job. But even a racing seat you need to use some core strength for stability, I'm sure. Once I'm healed up, I'm sure it will be fine. Have never had issues before. Although, I def. want to see what secret sauce Sean is using to lock himself in.
Planks for 2 hours a day. 😅

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG

Hope you're feeling better by now! I had similar issues when I used to track my 370z (minus the back pain). I found myself bracing myself so hard against my door and my steering wheel, I'm almost positive it had negative effects on my driving. Not to mention it was exhausting. I did end up getting a special cinch lock for the seatbelt which helped some but still didn't stop my upper body from moving around. It was called the CG-Lock. Ultimately the best solution is the proper seat/harness set up though. When strapped in with a 5/6 point harness, it's essentially effortless and you no longer need to brace yourself. Make's a world of difference.

Here's the seatbelt lock I was talking about: https://store.racerdirect.net/cg-lo...l-for-3-point-lap-belts-cg-lock-seatbelt.html

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks for that. Some interesting options out there for more a secure belt. It really shouldn’t be a problem with a regular seat belt, but I guess old injuries eventually come back to bite….

Muscle relaxers are helping at night 🥴 and then just lots of ibuprofen during the day. Just needs some time to heal up.

It’s always something! Onward and upward.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for that. Some interesting options out there for more a secure belt. It really shouldn’t be a problem with a regular seat belt, but I guess old injuries eventually come back to bite….

Muscle relaxers are helping at night 🥴 and then just lots of ibuprofen during the day. Just needs some time to heal up.

It’s always something! Onward and upward.
Yoga is awesome for this type of injury. Obviously not in the acute stages of injury, but once you're feeling better. I'll give you the basic yoga positions that my wife and I do, they're nothing weird or complex, but sure do help this old guy keep moving.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Yoga is awesome for this type of injury. Obviously not in the acute stages of injury, but once you're feeling better. I'll give you the basic yoga positions that my wife and I do, they're nothing weird or complex, but sure do help this old guy keep moving.
My wife was just saying the same thing to me last night. I actually used to practice some yoga but fell out of the habit. Will get back in for sure. Lesson learned.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
So I may have the dreaded waterpump/thermostat housing leak issue. My coolant seems low. Ordered some more coolant to top it off, going to monitor it for now. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

On another note, are you guys able to meet up next Sunday (8/21)?

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
So I may have the dreaded waterpump/thermostat housing leak issue. My coolant seems low. Ordered some more coolant to top it off, going to monitor it for now. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

Did you check the black bottom skid cover? If it's leaking there there should be some visual residue on there.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

Holy crap, is next weekend really the 21st?