GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jax fl meets

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I've done it 3 times on this car to date.

2 x 4 is sketchy, double sketchy by yourself.

I've done 2 x 4 all 3 times and have all my fingers.

And I'll say it again, do not do springs alone on a non-DCC car. The base Sachs shocks are not able to keep the car out of the bump stops on a lowered car. Under heavy braking you will hit the bump stops and braking is compromised as well as it causing terminal, uncontrollable understeer.

That's bad when you're autocrossing or tracking. It can kill you during emergency braking on the street. Anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong.

I'm telling you this because I ignored the same advice and I installed APR springs on the base Sachs shocks. Just don't do it.

I now have konis, which are a pain in the ass to install, and would have 100% just had a custom rate redshift setup built for me instead.

https://store.redshiftmotorsports.com/RedShiftCompCoilovers-s/147.htm

I have DCC, which also sort of makes me hesitant. I really enjoy the DCC and the ride they produce. Also have heard rumors of having to re-calibrate the sensors for DCC and ACC? Why does this car have to be so complicated ha.

If I do pull the trigger on it, I was debating between VMR or H&R springs. Thoughts?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I have DCC, which also sort of makes me hesitant. I really enjoy the DCC and the ride they produce. Also have heard rumors of having to re-calibrate the sensors for DCC and ACC? Why does this car have to be so complicated ha.

If I do pull the trigger on it, I was debating between VMR or H&R springs. Thoughts?

I'd do whichever is the least drop.

These cars don't have a great camber curve. The lower you go, the worse they understeer. However much you lower, take at least half that much out of the front bump stops.

If you don't lower too much, you might not need everything calibrated or might be able to calibrate with obd11.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I'd do whichever is the least drop.

These cars don't have a great camber curve. The lower you go, the worse they understeer. However much you lower, take at least half that much out of the front bump stops.

If you don't lower too much, you might not need everything calibrated or might be able to calibrate with obd11.

Gotcha. I'm most concerned with ACC. I've read the radar calibration is not cheap. May just leave it at stock height for a while.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Anyone at Osteen. It's the only place I take my car and I never take my car to anyone. Lol

Thanks, I've heard that from a few people now. How are they with tuned cars and warranty work?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Gotcha. I'm most concerned with ACC. I've read the radar calibration is not cheap. May just leave it at stock height for a while.

I have forward collision, so pretty sure it's the same sensor, and had no issue. I've been at 3 different heights with no CEL.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
Thanks, I've heard that from a few people now. How are they with tuned cars and warranty work?
From what I’ve heard they’re very mod-friendly. Have been so far with me. They actually sold me my tune and are happy to support it and take care of me. I’ve had CPO warranty work done there while tuned with no problem.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I have forward collision, so pretty sure it's the same sensor, and had no issue. I've been at 3 different heights with no CEL.

Thanks, I'll look more into it

From what I’ve heard they’re very mod-friendly. Have been so far with me. They actually sold me my tune and are happy to support it and take care of me. I’ve had CPO warranty work done there while tuned with no problem.

So good to hear. Probably going to wait for the black friday deals to get my tune. Leaning towards EQT.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks, I'll look more into it

So good to hear. Probably going to wait for the black friday deals to get my tune. Leaning towards EQT.

Osteen is more likely to help you out if you buy an APR tune from them, maybe not as much if you're tuned with AP and an EQT tune.

That's just the reality.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
That being said, the failure rate for stg 1 cars is pretty low.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
bummer, I wasn't really interested in APR.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

The dealer can't just ignore mods, because they could get stuck with the repair bill and lose their factory backing if they do, but for minor things that they're certain your tune didn't cause, they can look the other way and not flag your car unless they absolutely have to.

Buying fun them and having them do the tune is the best way to ensure they err on your side. I'm not saying they won't help you out, but if you have zero relationship with the dealer, then walk on off the street, they're less likely to stick their necks out to help you out.

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
If you want to tune your car and have the best chance of keeping your warranty intact, you’ll need to weigh some pros and cons and possibly make that compromise.

Still, even though I got my APR tune from them, if the turbo blows tomorrow, I don’t expect warranty coverage. But I know the dealer is more likely to try to help me since I bought the car and tune there, and get it maintained there.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
The dealer can't just ignore mods, because they could get stuck with the repair bill and lose their factory backing if they do, but for minor things that they're certain your tune didn't cause, they can look the other way and not flag your car unless they absolutely have to.

Buying fun them and having them do the tune is the best way to ensure they err on your side. I'm not saying they won't help you out, but if you have zero relationship with the dealer, then walk on off the street, they're less likely to stick their necks out to help you out.

Yeah I totally understand that. This isn't my first tuned car. I guess it's just one of the first time's I've actually cared. That being said, I never had any issues with any of my previously tuned cars.

If you want to tune your car and have the best chance of keeping your warranty intact, you’ll need to weigh some pros and cons and possibly make that compromise.

Still, even though I got my APR tune from them, if the turbo blows tomorrow, I don’t expect warranty coverage. But I know the dealer is more likely to try to help me since I bought the car and tune there, and get it maintained there.

Oh yeah for sure. Like I said above, in the past I just didn't really ever care about my warranty. But I've also never had a 6 year, 72k mile warranty (3 years left on it now) before and I kind of just hate the idea of throwing that way if something happens.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG

I'm curious, why did you do the 91 tune instead of 93? How does it feel compared to stock? Have you ridden in a car with an EQT or IE tune?