Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Do you guys daily your cars?

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I don't mind autocross, I've done that plenty in previous cars that I've owned with minimal effect on the reliability of the car. It's more tracking the car that worries me. You wreck your car on track and insurance doesn't cover it. I'd probably get track insurance but the costs start to add up.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Oh yeah, I never got above 235 this weekend, even doing 12 course runs in a row. ~30 sec. rest between runs brought the temps back down below 220.

It was 47 degrees though. Lol.

One time I got up to 250 at an autocross leaving the car running, 2 drivers, with AC blasting between runs in 95 degree weather, but that's about as extreme as you can get autocrossing.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Do you run an oil cooler (didn't see it if it's in your sig)?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Do you run an oil cooler (didn't see it if it's in your sig)?

Not yet, that's coming this year. Right now, I just back off once I hit 260.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Just looked at the Buccaneer region autocross schedule..... that one on the 26th is really close to me. I'm tempted. I haven't done it in so long, I'll probably be pretty rusty though.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Just looked at the Buccaneer region autocross schedule..... that one on the 26th is really close to me. I'm tempted. I haven't done it in so long, I'll probably be pretty rusty though.
No one cares if you aren't fast, it's fun, and plenty of people to help you get back up to speed if you want help.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Yeah I know. Let me see if the wife had anything planned that day.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
@GTIfan99, did you install your own springs? I've done a handful of springs/coilover jobs on various vehicles but all this car seems the least straight forward of any car I've done. The whole 2x4 thing scares me....

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99, did you install your own springs? I've done a handful of springs/coilover jobs on various vehicles but all this car seems the least straight forward of any car I've done. The whole 2x4 thing scares me....

I've done it 3 times on this car to date.

2 x 4 is sketchy, double sketchy by yourself.

I've done 2 x 4 all 3 times and have all my fingers.

And I'll say it again, do not do springs alone on a non-DCC car. The base Sachs shocks are not able to keep the car out of the bump stops on a lowered car. Under heavy braking you will hit the bump stops and braking is compromised as well as it causing terminal, uncontrollable understeer.

That's bad when you're autocrossing or tracking. It can kill you during emergency braking on the street. Anyone that tells you otherwise is wrong.

I'm telling you this because I ignored the same advice and I installed APR springs on the base Sachs shocks. Just don't do it.

I now have konis, which are a pain in the ass to install, and would have 100% just had a custom rate redshift setup built for me instead.

https://store.redshiftmotorsports.com/RedShiftCompCoilovers-s/147.htm