GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jax fl meets

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Man those are beautiful. Had you caught me before I bought my wheels a few months back you probably would have had a sale! Good luck, and I'll put the word out for you. Maybe my buddy with a golf R would be interested.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Man those are beautiful. Had you caught me before I bought my wheels a few months back you probably would have had a sale! Good luck, and I'll put the word out for you. Maybe my buddy with a golf R would be interested.
Yep, they're nice.

Maybe he can try listing on the jax dubs fb page.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
@GTIfan99 You're on stock clutch still right? My buddy is currently buying a manual 2020 GTI and I was talking to him about getting a stage 1 eqt tune. He's concerned with having to get a new clutch though. I'm assuming you just drive relatively easy on it? No launching, hard gear shifts, etcetera?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
@GTIfan99 You're on stock clutch still right? My buddy is currently buying a manual 2020 GTI and I was talking to him about getting a stage 1 eqt tune. He's concerned with having to get a new clutch though. I'm assuming you just drive relatively easy on it? No launching, hard gear shifts, etcetera?
I'm at almost 30k miles and no issues. Just don't go WOT in 5th and 6th. And don't launch with a lot of slip.

I launch the car routinely, just don't heavily slip the clutch.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I'm at almost 30k miles and no issues. Just don't go WOT in 5th and 6th. And don't launch with a lot of slip.

I launch the car routinely, just don't heavily slip the clutch.

Wow, so you never floor it in 5th/6th? Too much load I suppose at lower speeds. I guess if you were really at the top of 4th (which would be pretty damn fast anyways) and put it into 5th it wouldn't be as much load though.

Navi

Autocross Champion
I ran stock clutch with is20 tune for awhile back in the day and it was fine before I swapped out the clutch. I never floored it in like 5th or 6th either. Nor did I floor it in 4th when going 40mph or anything weird like that.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Maybe I can talk the wife into it.........

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
@GTIfan99 , @mrmattolsen

Looking to buy an intercooler soon(-ish). Which do you guys have and how bad was the installation? I know stock location is generally better performing, but the install seems like more of a PITA. Leaning towards a FMIC at the moment. Thoughts?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
@GTIfan99 , @mrmattolsen

Looking to buy an intercooler soon(-ish). Which do you guys have and how bad was the installation? I know stock location is generally better performing, but the install seems like more of a PITA. Leaning towards a FMIC at the moment. Thoughts?
Both locations perform well for the street or a few pulls, based on all the data I've reviewed. The stock-mount location will resist heat soak for longer during more pulls and especially on the track. At least, that's the sense I get from all the data I reviewed back when I was considering intercoolers.

FMIC is definitely an easier install, but SMIC isn't too too bad -- just takes a lot more time.

I have the CTS FMIC, which required drilling 2 holes into the crash bar, and that was the hardest part (you just need a couple cobalt drill bits because that metal is hard af). Otherwise a really easy install. Not sure if it's the best FMIC, but it works great for me and often goes on sale.

My take (not necessarily the right take): If you're not going to be tracking the car, or if you don't care about SCCA classing, FMIC is the way to go. You'll get power consistency, cool IAT's when you do a pull, lower price, and easier install.

@GTIfan99 Has a SMIC, but that's perfect for him because he drives the car harder and tracks it.

Last edited: