GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jax fl meets

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Read all the way through the RAL failure thread..... In my opinion IE handled that situation quite gracefully. So I respect them for that. They took a risk and unfortunately got their asses handed to them. I'm hoping that they'll learn from their mistakes. I don't think it changes my opinion on them overall or their regular tunes.

@904mk7, why would you choose APR over EQT/IE? What's wrong with their flash tunes in your opinion?

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
I'll add my 2 cents here, even though no one asked for it.

If I did it all over again and bought a car that didn't already have an APR tune, I would strongly consider EQT due to their reputation, overwhelmingly positive feedback, and some of the nice features you get with the AP such as its traction control. I would consider IE as well, because the flex fuel solution is badass.

That being said, I absolutely adore my APR stage 1 low torque tune. The main reason why is it because it isn't pushing the turbo to the limits, so it simply targets 300wtq and holds that as long as possible. And with a torque-targeted tune, the ECU will spin the turbo more when the weather is hotter to make up for the lower air density. Because of this, and because the LT tune doesn't max out the turbo, the LT tune is incredibly consistent even when we get to 90-degree-plus days. Of course there's still timing pull due to higher IAT's -- we can never avoid that -- but the turbo headroom is really nice for more consistency. I would wager that you could dyno this tune in 50*F weather and 80*F weather and get results that are much closer than if you were running a higher-power tune that was squeezing out every last bit of power under ideal conditions.

It is significantly faster than stock, but it is NOT the fastest tune. Also, APR has not done all of the things EQT has done to improve driveability.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I'll add my 2 cents here, even though no one asked for it.

If I did it all over again and bought a car that didn't already have an APR tune, I would strongly consider EQT due to their reputation, overwhelmingly positive feedback, and some of the nice features you get with the AP such as its traction control. I would consider IE as well, because the flex fuel solution is badass.

That being said, I absolutely adore my APR stage 1 low torque tune. The main reason why is it because it isn't pushing the turbo to the limits, so it simply targets 300wtq and holds that as long as possible. And with a torque-targeted tune, the ECU will spin the turbo more when the weather is hotter to make up for the lower air density. Because of this, and because the LT tune doesn't max out the turbo, the LT tune is incredibly consistent even when we get to 90-degree-plus days. Of course there's still timing pull due to higher IAT's -- we can never avoid that -- but the turbo headroom is really nice for more consistency. I would wager that you could dyno this tune in 50*F weather and 80*F weather and get results that are much closer than if you were running a higher-power tune that was squeezing out every last bit of power under ideal conditions.

It is significantly faster than stock, but it is NOT the fastest tune. Also, APR has not done all of the things EQT has done to improve driveability.

While it was not asked for, I certainly appreciate your input. Honestly if it were possible to flash APR at home OR if I had a dealer closer by, it would be an option for me. I just prefer the convenience of flashing at home and being able to change tunes at any time.

While IE does have trueflex (2019+ not available yet), EQT does have the E30 tunes that I could possibly entertain in the future.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
I 100% agree, with both points for sure. EQT is currently king of OTS tunes right now without question, but I'm not really a follower and the eqt fever is a little culty. Given all the pressure with Cobb and the EPA right now. APR would look pretty good to me. Maybe IE has gotten better since they first came out, but the fact that IE has way less market share of tunes than APR and EQT and has more issues just worries me. I think an IE stage 1 is probably fine, but if you'd want more, why not go with a company that proven. Especially if you aren't going for a ton of power. There are 10's of thousands of GTI's runing APR tunes from multiple gens with no issues. You seem like you are a bit more hesitant to pull the trigger and like to do your research which I appreciate. Unless you plan on autocrossing, most people will want more. 😅

mrmatto

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2024 GTI DSG
6fuf8l.jpg

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I 100% agree, with both points for sure. EQT is currently king of OTS tunes right now without question, but I'm not really a follower and the eqt fever is a little culty. Given all the pressure with Cobb and the EPA right now. APR would look pretty good to me. Maybe IE has gotten better since they first came out, but the fact that IE has way less market share of tunes than APR and EQT and has more issues just worries me. I think an IE stage 1 is probably fine, but if you'd want more, why not go with a company that proven. Especially if you aren't going for a ton of power. There are 10's of thousands of GTI's runing APR tunes from multiple gens with no issues. You seem like you are a bit more hesitant to pull the trigger and like to do your research which I appreciate. Unless you plan on autocrossing, most people will want more. 😅

Oh I know for sure I'm going to want more eventually. Coming from a 600hp car to the GTI wasn't easy ha. I appreciate your input though and you guys have probably been in the mqb game a bit longer than I have. Coming from the honda world, this is a whole new realm to me.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Oh I know for sure I'm going to want more eventually. Coming from a 600hp car to the GTI wasn't easy ha. I appreciate your input though and you guys have probably been in the mqb game a bit longer than I have. Coming from the honda world, this is a whole new realm to me.
Yeah, less reliable, nicer interior. Lol

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
So I'm kicking myself. Got my front driver strut out and realized I don't have a 21mm pass through socket for the top of the strut. Anyone have one I could borrow? Gonna go check out lowes and home depot🤦‍♂️

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
No luck. Putting my car back together with my tail between my legs. Just ordered a tool lol.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
So I'm kicking myself. Got my front driver strut out and realized I don't have a 21mm pass through socket for the top of the strut. Anyone have one I could borrow? Gonna go check out lowes and home depot🤦‍♂️
I don't, sorry. A deep well won't work? You can also get those rachets that have swivel heads from AutoZone.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Damn, that sucks.

You still need someone for a wheel swap tomorrow?

No biggie, car went back together fairly easily. At least now I know how to pull everything apart. Next time around will be cake.

As for the wheels, I don't NEED to do it, it was just more of another data point for me. I think you're kind of far away aren't you? I'd hate for you to drive all this way just to test fit some wheels.

I don't, sorry. A deep well won't work? You can also get those rachets that have swivel heads from AutoZone.

No worries, ordered a tool. I'll try again next weekend. I couldn't find anything that I thought could work at lowes, home depot or autozone.