GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

jax fl meets

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Sorry, I just realized I miss typed. I was talking about the viscosity rating.🤦 I'm going to try motul 5w-50 this next oil change.
It'll be interesting to see the oil analysis after next change.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
For 19+ factory calls for 0w-20. That first year, VW screwed up the VVT programming and 0w-20 caused issues with timing and they all ran pig rich and were burning up o2 sensors. I had then reset all adoptions and started running 5w-40 and never had another issue, even before they issued both is the ECU patches. I'm still running 5w-40. We live in Florida and I track and autocross the car, so it's a no brainer for me.

If I were stock, I'd just run 0w-20 or whatever the manual calls for your model year.

I don't think I'd want to run any higher than 5w-40 in a street car without some type of preoiling system. They're pretty cheap, but the logistics of doing it in a street car don't make much sense.

If you really loved your car, you'd run Amsoil Signature series in 5w-40. It's what all the rally teams use. It's the best oil out there.

Anyway, I change oil every 5000 and after every track day. I'm 100% sure the oil was toast after getting it up to 286 at Daytona.

My car is a 2019. How can I verify my ECU has those patches installed?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
My car is a 2019. How can I verify my ECU has those patches installed?
I'm pretty sure you can see ECU revision in OBD11.

You could also call the dealer and have them make sure the recalls were done on your car. There were 2 of them to update ECU.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
It's weird, you would think the 7.5's would be identical or slightly better than 7's, but they a few annoying here and there issues that the 7 doesn't have. Maybe they were testing parts for the 8? Idk.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
It's weird, you would think the 7.5's would be identical or slightly better than 7's, but they a few annoying here and there issues that the 7 doesn't have. Maybe they were testing parts for the 8? Idk.
The 2018 is a 7.5 too, but my 2018 S has had zero issues ever and it's still trouble free with my son driving it. I bought the 2019 in April, thinking they've sorted everything out since 2015, and I'd get a no sunroof PP GTI that's well sorted. I immediately had issues with it running super rich below 4000rpm, to the point of stumbling on acceleration and dying when you came to a stop. Resetting adaptions would fix it, but it would slowly revert. Resetting adaptions and using heavier oil solved it for me. VW came out with a revision to the ECU that tuned the VVT to work with the lighter oil. The issue is that the actual timing and timing reported to the ECU were off. ECU thought car was lean, would learn to add fuel, added fuel caused car to run stupid rich, kill power, and damage o2 sensors and cats.

I think the change to 0w-20 was related to emissions and gas mileage ratings. 2019 was just the guinea pig for the switch, which continues into the mk8.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
I'm pretty sure you can see ECU revision in OBD11.

You could also call the dealer and have them make sure the recalls were done on your car. There were 2 of them to update ECU.

Any idea what ECU revision I'm looking for?

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
The 2018 is a 7.5 too, but my 2018 S has had zero issues ever and it's still trouble free with my son driving it. I bought the 2019 in April, thinking they've sorted everything out since 2015, and I'd get a no sunroof PP GTI that's well sorted. I immediately had issues with it running super rich below 4000rpm, to the point of stumbling on acceleration and dying when you came to a stop. Resetting adaptions would fix it, but it would slowly revert. Resetting adaptions and using heavier oil solved it for me. VW came out with a revision to the ECU that tuned the VVT to work with the lighter oil. The issue is that the actual timing and timing reported to the ECU were off. ECU thought car was lean, would learn to add fuel, added fuel caused car to run stupid rich, kill power, and damage o2 sensors and cats.

I think the change to 0w-20 was related to emissions and gas mileage ratings. 2019 was just the guinea pig for the switch, which continues into the mk8.
I know quite a few 7.5 owners with injector issues as well. And I know a few jb4 guys who had to sell them because it caused weird ass issues like hard starts and dropping to map zero unexpectedly. When I talked to George about it, at the time he wasn't sure. Nothing major, just things you'd think would work as flawlessly as the year before didn't. Either way, I love the styling of the 7.5 more than the 7 in the front.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Any idea what ECU revision I'm looking for?
There's a stalling thread that should list the patches. I can't remember off the top of my head.

Search 2019 stalling

Last edited:

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
So I've been doing a lot of reading and going back and forth, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the IE Stage 1 tune. I know EQT is the go to, but I've not found a single bad review on IE. While having the accessport would be nice, I love how IE sends you both the low/high torque tunes and multiple octane files. Also the potential to upgrade to flex in the future is awesome.

Now do I wait until July 4th to see if they have a sale or just go for it? Ha.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
So I've been doing a lot of reading and going back and forth, I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the IE Stage 1 tune. I know EQT is the go to, but I've not found a single bad review on IE. While having the accessport would be nice, I love how IE sends you both the low/high torque tunes and multiple octane files. Also the potential to upgrade to flex in the future is awesome.

Now do I wait until July 4th to see if they have a sale or just go for it? Ha.
Just to give you some insight. Not trying to be a dick, but did you not eat about IE recently blowing up a dozen or so cars last week? The rolled out RAL and launch control and blew customers motors. They agreed to replace, but just wanted to update you. IE isn't the greatest.

GTIguy87

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI DSG
Just to give you some insight. Not trying to be a dick, but did you not eat about IE recently blowing up a dozen or so cars last week? The rolled out RAL and launch control and blew customers motors. They agreed to replace, but just wanted to update you. IE isn't the greatest.

I did read about that. I was assuming it was isolated to the anti-lag. I guess my opinion on them would be based on how they are handling the situation though. I will do some more reading on that.

904mk7

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
17 PP GTI
Yeah that issue appears to be completely related to the RAL, which frankly is a risky feature regardless.
It's not. They just got lazy. It's easy just retard the timing. IE parts yes. Tunes. eh. If I didn't tune my own car and had to get a flash tune. I'd get Apr and be done. If I wanted more power, if get a bigger turbo, but still stick with apr.