GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jason Cammisa MK8 Hagerty review... OUCH

IanCH

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'20 GTI
So I finally got around to watching the video and... wow it's worse than I thought. They are going to tank the sales numbers with this monstrosity.

I didn't fully comprehend the extent of the haptic button takeover. And the lag observed in that video for the system is unacceptable.

I bought my 7.5 in July 2020, smugly stating that I was getting the best version of the mk7 before the terrible mk8 came out. At the time we knew the direction they were taking with the interior but I had thought they might do a better job. Then when the performance specs and some of the drivetrain stuff came out I got concerned that I was going to be proven wrong on the mk7.5

At the end of the day, my only regret is not holding out for a cornflower blue autobahn with those dope wheels. Luckily white is aight and wheels are a dime a dozen.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
I watched closely and appreciate his attention to detail. I had a 2015 and now a 2019. I have seen the cheapening of the product. The arm that attaches my gas pedal is plastic! Not sure but I thought I saw the same plastic now being used in the brake and clutch pedals. I want to see again.

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
I watched closely and appreciate his attention to detail. I had a 2015 and now a 2019. I have seen the cheapening of the product. The arm that attaches my gas pedal is plastic! Not sure but I thought I saw the same plastic now being used in the brake and clutch pedals. I want to see again.
If you think there is a big difference between the 2015 and the 2019 you would be amazed to know that while not the best as far as performance the MK4 GLI was comparable to a "cheaper" BMW as far as fit and finish. My first brand new (8 miles on the odo) VW was a 2005 GLI in Black Magic Pearl color. That car interior was nice, the doors made the "thump" solid sound, the sheet metal felt solid, not dinky like the newer models. But, the price tag was high when compared with the new generation. I paid a little over $25k in Dec 2004 for my GLI, which is almost the same price as the base GLI now.

Litespeedgti

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI S DSG
If you think there is a big difference between the 2015 and the 2019 you would be amazed to know that while not the best as far as performance the MK4 GLI was comparable to a "cheaper" BMW as far as fit and finish. My first brand new (8 miles on the odo) VW was a 2005 GLI in Black Magic Pearl color. That car interior was nice, the doors made the "thump" solid sound, the sheet metal felt solid, not dinky like the newer models. But, the price tag was high when compared with the new generation. I paid a little over $25k in Dec 2004 for my GLI, which is almost the same price as the base GLI now.
Over $25,000 was, for sure, a lot of dollars in 2004. Good comparison.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
The cost cutting with the hood prop and engine cover are almost as unforgivable as the shitty interior.

mk5 was the pinnacle of interior quality and it has gone down since.

I have a mk6 and a mk7 right now and the difference just between those 2 interiors is pretty drastic.

For example the mk6 doesn't have hard pack plastic for the rear doors, and it also has a lock on the glovebox (which has a vent inside for cooling drinks). Also mk6 has a nice floor mounted gas pedal and the mk7 does not.

Edit: oh thought of another one... The mk6 came with full size spare, the mk7 came with a donut

Last edited:

Maiden69

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI
The cost cutting with the hood prop
This is something that I am seeing more in new cars. Even the new Nissan 400Z went with a hood prop rod instead of shocks as seen in the car they sent Jay Leno to drive. Then again, I think most Japanese cars still use them... not sure about the MK5 Supra, as it is mostly BMW built.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
1. prop rods are lighter, cheaper, simpler.
2. How many owners open their hood? My completely made up number is <50%

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
They are worse especially when they're in the way of working on something but they don't wear out and need replaced.
I have never had to replace a hood strut.

I havent had to use a shitty prop like that since I owned a 98 civic and I drive VWs precisely because they dont feel like cheap japanese crap.

The cost cutting really bothers me. If a VW rep asked me which would you rather have on the mk8? A new aluminum subframe or a proper hood strut?

I would legit take the hood strut.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
mk5 was the pinnacle of interior quality and it has gone down since.
I had this thought when I traded in my 2007 MK5 GTI for the MK7.5. There were also little things about the MK5 that were somewhat special ; GTI logo imprinted into the seats, the leather seats were nicer, GTI branded metal door sills, less hard plastics, and a much nicer steering wheel IMO. The 2006-2007 GTI were the best years to have with that car (quality wise) before they slowly started their cost cutting measures with the later year MK5's (2008-2009). I will say this though, my MK7.5 has been much more reliable than my MK5 ever was.

Last edited:

Mk_GTI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Sat in a Mk8 GTI and saw a Mk8 Golf R over the weekend. These may be North America spec. The exterior looks better in person and is growing on me. The interior looks and feels cheap and the cost cutting is very apparent.

I'll wait until a Mk8.5 before even considering.

Attachments

• tempImageEJ439D.png
    tempImageEJ439D.png
    13.6 MB · Views: 76
  • tempImageNLQ9xI.png
    tempImageNLQ9xI.png
    12.2 MB · Views: 68
  • tempImagejopOGj.png
    tempImagejopOGj.png
    10.7 MB · Views: 73