GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jason Cammisa MK8 Hagerty review... OUCH

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I like the Mk7 crowd’s loyalty.

VW - We can make your car faster, more powerful, handle better and have newer tech, all for roughly the same price.
Mk7 owners - Nah, I might turn on the heated steering wheel accidentally.
VW - You know you don’t even have one of those now, right?
Mk7 owners - Where is the volume knob, what have you done?!

EpicTech

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI 6sp w/PP
I suddenly wish I had bought 2 MK7 GTI's. One to use, and one to do absolutely nothing with except store in a garage to use as an investment tool that someday, someone out there is going to pay big $$ for a low mileage near-new MK7 GTI. Kind of like that guy up north did that is asking 65k for his Mk4 R32.

odessa.filez

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 GSW 1.8tsi auto
this was a good review, especially the time spent on the button-less driver interface...and the dismissal of 'doesn't understeer'.

it's gonna be hard to convince mk7 owners to switch,.given most of us paid dieselgate prices or got extended warranties.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
@bentin analogy...

Sloth2.jpg

The Dude

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI S
There seems to be a lot of turbo noise though, so I guess those cost cuttings included noise abatement.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
I don't pay attention nor listen to any car reviewer out there, online or in print. I buy what I like, regardless of what some needle dick car reviewer has to say about it.

Yeah same. BUT I WILL listen to the science! lol... If it's a used car and I can get the good years vs bad years, I will certainly be following that information. Though yeah, I guess from a reviewer standpoint on a brand new car, I would go with my own instincts/wants and who cares what 1 dude on this planet thinks about it.

MSchott

Go Kart Newbie
Ok, he doesn't like the cheaper plastics or the interface. No problem. But he barely touched on the handling and engine power. Sorry, but I bought my GTI because it's the best all around sports sedan in it's class. Great handling and wonderful engine. Both better on the MK8 than the MK7.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I suddenly wish I had bought 2 MK7 GTI's. One to use, and one to do absolutely nothing with except store in a garage to use as an investment tool that someday, someone out there is going to pay big $$ for a low mileage near-new MK7 GTI. Kind of like that guy up north did that is asking 65k for his Mk4 R32.
Asking 65K for a Mk4 R32 and getting 65K is two different things.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Ok, he doesn't like the cheaper plastics or the interface. No problem. But he barely touched on the handling and engine power. Sorry, but I bought my GTI because it's the best all around sports sedan in it's class. Great handling and wonderful engine. Both better on the MK8 than the MK7.
He goes more in depth on those things in an earlier episode-

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I like the Mk7 crowd’s loyalty.

VW - We can make your car faster, more powerful, handle better and have newer tech, all for roughly the same price.
Mk7 owners - Nah, I might turn on the heated steering wheel accidentally.
VW - You know you don’t even have one of those now, right?
Mk7 owners - Where is the volume knob, what have you done?!
This is how’s it been with every gen… not just the mk7, mk4 hated every look of the mk5 (RIGHTFULLY SO) then the mk5 crowd was livid about the 32 getting dropped from after the “R” on the mk6, mk6 hated every strip on the headlights and the more square sharp shapes, and the lose of center exhaust on the R….

Historically humans just hate change lol

starsmith

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 Urano Grey GTI
As long as you are aware that much of the handling and acceleration improvements reviewers have raved about is purely because VW sent the cars with the stickiest autocross rubber you can buy, and it is very likely to be much closer to the MK7 tire for tire.