GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jason Cammisa MK8 Hagerty review... OUCH

HelloNewman

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7
"I didnt buy the new gti because it didnt have hydraulic hood" said nobody ever. you guys are just complaining to complain.
Modern Volkswagens have always been a scenario where you put up with some negative things (expensive parts, potential expensive repairs, overly complicated design, etc) because they have nice "luxury" features that make them better to own and live with on a daily basis. The competition is closing in wrt performance and driving experience, if the niceties are removed people are either going to step up to an Audi/BMW or go with a similarly priced competitor that offers lower running costs. You are paying a premium up front and down the road to own a GTI its competitors it should be a premium experience. Haptic buttons, a hood prop rod from a 1992 Toyota Tercel, an engine cover that looks like the lid to a Rubbermaid container, and a plastic fantastic interior are all definitely not contributing to an upmarket feel. Will it be enough to dissuade buyers? Time will tell. What I can tell you is look at the past. VW already tried the cheap and easy route with the Passat and it went from being a segment leading car to a complete turd of a vehicle that has now been completely killed off in the US altogether.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
What's the big difference with the wheel in a Mk6? I've never driven one, but aside from perforated leather, it looks awfully similar.

I hate piano black, but I'll pick it over carbon fauxber every time. I also don't like fake eyelashes, fingernails or t*ts, if we're talking about fake pretty things LOL.

lol, well, it just felt luxurious in comparison. The bottom end was flatter. The perforated leather looked eye catching. The buttons looked sharper (now they're these larger plastic ones). The center emblem piece was cleaner. I don't know. It's hard to explain unless you drove it for as many years as I did (7-8ish) and changed. I also feel like this one is too skinny in comparison.

Just look at this beauty...

VW-Golf-GTI-MK6-Inital-Clean-0059.jpg

Reactions: WAP

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
Mk7 has the best plaid interior of them all.

Fight me.

I can't argue with you on that since I haven't been or really seen the mk7 plaid in comparison.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
lol, well, it just felt luxurious in comparison. The bottom end was flatter. The perforated leather looked eye catching. The buttons looked sharper (now they're these larger plastic ones). The center emblem piece was cleaner. I don't know. It's hard to explain unless you drove it for as many years as I did (7-8ish) and changed. I also feel like this one is too skinny in comparison.

Just look at this beauty...

View attachment 224535
But the plastic part of the horn surround looks cheaper. I also like the thinner rim of the Mk7, the 6 seemed like it might have been compensating for something.

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2017 GTI MT, PP, LP
But the plastic part of the horn surround looks cheaper. I also like the thinner rim of the Mk7, the 6 seemed like it might have been compensating for something.

I'll give you that. It does in retrospect now. Yet I think everything else still adds more points to it. I mean, I loved that steering wheel so much more, I'm looking at the aftermarket ones for the 7 that look similar. I've seen plenty of others mod their steering wheel to appear similar, so there is something definitely right about it.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
"I didnt buy the new gti because it didnt have hydraulic hood" said nobody ever. you guys are just complaining to complain.
You're over simplifying, and missing the point - or evading the point.

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
“You’re not acknowledging why this problem we invented is bothering us so it’s time to buy a Subaru”
The problem we invented that the GTI was know to be several steps above its competition in terms of details and interior appointments for several generations?
That it's interior was considered to be as good as ones that could be found for many thousands of dollars above its price?
That it was noted for those things at least as much as for its performance?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
The only difference between hood struts and prop rods is one of perceived quality. The worst part about a prop rod is that it can be in the way but it won't possibly fail like a strut can and does.