GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacking up the car

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Do you find the audi jack pads worth the investment? Got any photos of where the front pad is installed?
I like them, but you have to have a jack and jack stands that are compatible.

I use the esco flat top jack stands that sandman posted above, and can just barely fit the jack stand under the audi pad while my jack lifts the car from the pinch weld. clearance is tight, but it works and is a good solution.

VAG Parts Bin

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
97 GTI & 17 R
We were just discussing jacking on the TTS caliper thread a few days ago. I have the Audi jack pads on my car.

I use a Pittsburgh Automotive 3-ton low profile jack sold at Harbor Freight. This can be had for ~$115 and less when there is a sale.

I don't see my exact model listed anymore, but I believe this is the same item with a different pn:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-low-profile-rapid-pump-floor-jack-56617.html

The stands I use are 30 year old Craftsman stands I got a Sears not long after I got out of high school. While I have a set of the shorty ESCO stands, I prefer using the old Sears ones as they don't have as large of a footprint as the ESCO ones and fit better on the pinch points with the jack on the Audi jacking pad.

These look almost identical to my 30 year old stands other than the color:

https://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-high-lift-jack-stands/p-00950159000P

Here are the excellent (albeit too wide for this use) ESCO stands:
https://www.amazon.com/Esco-10499-Adjustable-Shorty-Profile/dp/B07Y2BRPC5

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
What I like about the ESCO stands is using them on gravel, the three legs balance better and the feet have wide pads for good support.

tdipaul

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2017 6MT SE PP/LP
Why cant VW put a pinch weld right in the middle of the chassis? Not a fan of jacking up the front to lift the rear.

Jack up the middle, install your stands F&R, and leave the jack where it is with a little tension on it for backup.

sandmangti

Autocross Newbie
Why cant VW put a pinch weld right in the middle of the chassis? Not a fan of jacking up the front to lift the rear.

Jack up the middle, install your stands F&R, and leave the jack where it is with a little tension on it for backup.

would be. Ice but VW likely designed for emergency use not so much for enthusiasts. Chassis so stiff one can easily Jack both from front.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I have being wondering about our GTI's. I have some stands that gives me great clearance underneath my M3 to do exhaust work. I'm hoping that I would be able to lift the GTI high enough to get it to sit on the stands. The pinch welds area is pretty scary to lift without some sort of pad. They are 12 inches tall. Do you guys think that I might be able to used them on the GTI? The GTI wheelbase is so short compare to the M3 and having to lift that high, makes it pretty nerve breaking.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201212-160624_Firefox.jpg
    Screenshot_20201212-160624_Firefox.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 81

Golfs everyday

Autocross Newbie
It's pretty dangerous to lift a car that high with pads sandwiched on the pinch welds as your floor jack pivots as it raises the car. ie your pad can roll and slip out between the platform of your hydraulic jack and the pinch weld dropping your car onto your jack. What are you planning to do on the GTI? If just exhaust work, I back up onto my RaceRamps and they provide plenty of clearance. GL in whatever you decide.

JJ_MK7

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI Autobahn
I agree with you. I didn't felt comfortable lifting the GTI out of the pinch welds to the high I need to go to clear the stands. I bought an AWE Tuning exhaust and I do have Race Ramps as well. I might try that tomorrow and see how the work of replacing the exhaust goes.
I also decided to order some jack pads made by Reverse-Logic with the Jack support inserts to actually lift the vehicle from underneath using a flat large surface. Using a two lift jack method, helps me lift the vehicle evenly, the rear first and then the front. See my M3 on the stands to do work on the exhaust or down pipes area.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-12-12 193416.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-12 193416.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 202
  • Screenshot 2020-12-12 193500.png
    Screenshot 2020-12-12 193500.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 176
  • 20190222_181743.jpg
    20190222_181743.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 205

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
How did you guys jack up the car to install the dogbone insert? I tried jacking the rear pinch weld to get stands under the front pinches but couldn't get it high enough to work under the car comfortably. Seems like it's a good method for working on tires but not underneath. And for obvious reasons, I don't want to shell out $250+ for a jack kit to install a $40 piece

Since I only have 1 jack and 2 stands, I was thinking of jacking up one side from the rear just enough to get a stand under the front pinch weld, then using the jack from the front to lift up the subframe enough to get both jacks under the front welds at a decent height. If anyone has a better method or advice I'm all ears...jacking up cars always sketches me out a bit 😅

Side note: Lifting the rear as high as possible made the front stand on the other side shift enough that it actually moved off the pinch weld which scared the shit out of me. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any damage other than a small crack in the plastic underbody panel. It also seemed like the jack moves a lot more than usual when lowering it from that high, which I assume is why the stand shifted so much

Last edited:

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
How did you guys jack up the car to install the dogbone insert? I tried jacking the rear pinch weld to get stands under the front pinches but couldn't get it high enough to work under the car comfortably. Seems like it's a good method for working on tires but not underneath. And for obvious reasons, I don't want to shell out $250+ for a jack kit to install a $40 piece

Since I only have 1 jack and 2 stands, I was thinking of jacking up one side from the rear just enough to get a stand under the front pinch weld, then using the jack from the front to lift up the subframe enough to get both jacks under the front welds at a decent height. If anyone has a better method or advice I'm all ears...jacking up cars always sketches me out a bit 😅

Side note: Lifting the rear as high as possible made the front stand on the other side shift enough that it actually moved off the pinch weld which scared the shit out of me. Luckily there doesn't appear to be any damage other than a small crack in the plastic underbody. It also seemed like the jack moves a lot more than usual when lowering it from that high, which I assume is why the stand shifted so much
Your suggestion of jacking the rear, positing the stands under the front, then raising from the subframe to get higher is a good technique, I've done the same thing many times.

I will say though it is recommended to use 4 jack stands and make sure the car is level for a dogbone install. When you remove the bolt the engine will tilt and if it is not level it makes it a little challenging, especially if you are working by yourself.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
Your suggestion of jacking the rear, positing the stands under the front, then raising from the subframe to get higher is a good technique, I've done the same thing many times.

I will say though it is recommended to use 4 jack stands and make sure the car is level for a dogbone install. When you remove the bolt the engine will tilt and if it is not level it makes it a little challenging, especially if you are working by yourself.
I was worried that might end up being a problem. It's supposed to be a quick and simple install but honestly, I'm starting to wonder if I should bring the car to Midas or somewhere they can throw it on a lift and install it real quick without any hiccups

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I was worried that might end up being a problem. It's supposed to be a quick and simple install but honestly, I'm starting to wonder if I should bring the car to Midas or somewhere they can throw it on a lift and install it real quick without any hiccups
It's not impossible with just the 2 jack stands, just have a prybar ready to push the engine forward a little when reinstalling the bolt.

I'm not sure midas would let you do something like that, for insurance reasons. Maybe a mom and pop shop.

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
It's not impossible with just the 2 jack stands, just have a prybar ready to push the engine forward a little when reinstalling the bolt.

I'm not sure midas would let you do something like that, for insurance reasons. Maybe a mom and pop shop.
I see. Since today's Sunday pretty much every shop in town is closed today anyways. If I don't have a prybar a breaker bar should work instead, right?

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I see. Since today's Sunday pretty much every shop in town is closed today anyways. If I don't have a prybar a breaker bar should work instead, right?
Breaker bar might work, but it may be a little tough to find a good spot to get leverage when under the car. A prybar or heavy duty flathead would be a bit easier.