GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Jacking up the car

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
So I took my car to the tire shop to get winter tires bolt on since I no longer have my jack Stands. Little did I know, the tire tech forgot to torque the wheels to the vehicle which lead me here with trust issues. I am thinking of getting new jack stands (my pittsburg ones had a recall) and doing the work myself. I was curious if anyone had experience with jacking up their mk7.5 golf with just a floor jack. I searched the internet and found 4 main ways.
1) using quick jacks but that’s way to expensive
2) using the jack stands on the subframe. unfortunately, I have have an all track skid plate which blocks the subframe access. So that’s a no.
3) my 3rd and final option is to purchase the Audi jack pads. This is where my questions reside.
A) I looked up the parts provided but it seems that it only fits the mk7. My gti is a mk7.5, does anyone know if the parts got updated? The vendors told me it won’t fit my 2019 gti.
B) I heard that there’s barely any clearance for the floor jacks and jack stands even with the Audi jack pad, is this true?
C) aside from a full lift, how do you guys swap tires? I’m use to jacking up at a main point such as a tow hook, diff, or subframe. This is unreasonable as if they designed it intentionally. Thanks in advance for any wisdom or advice.

Tacomonster

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Gti 2019
Tacomonster, you might want to look into the RennStand by Safe Jack. They have all different adaptors to fit different cars. Expensive, yes. But hard to put a price on safety, especially if it might save you from getting crushed by your car. And I'm with you, the less careless people touching my car the better.

https://safejacks.com/products/the-rennstand-by-safe-jack-single-unit
I’m so amaze by the amount of knowledge sharing on this forum. Everyone is so helpfu, I love it. Luva, this is the best invention ever, thank you for showing it to me. you are right on the safety, have You used this on the gti? I read the comments and was worry about fitment as our cars are quite small.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
Tacomonster, I just purchased it Thursday morning. I'll let you know after I get it. They have at least a dozen different attachments for different car jack points such as for pinch welds, pads, round stock, etc.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I have the Audi jack pad adapters. You are right, you can barely get your jack stands under them while still using the floor jack at the pinch wield. If you have a smaller floor jack they may work better.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Some have talked about driving up on some 2x6s to get a little height and jacking from the dogbone lip on the subframe. Would need a padded jack I’d assume

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
Also, ordered the jack pad adapters from e-acca to help alleviate the awkward jacking issues.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I have a low profile floor jack purchased from Harbor Freight; super convenient, fast, easy.

Agreed. A low profile floor jack is definitely the way to go, and the best tool to use in conjunction with the Rennstands.

ITGUY

Autocross Newbie
So it's 500 dollars if you want to get 4 stands to put your car completely up... I paid 1300.00 for my 7000lb quick jack single best purchase I made. I put the whole car up change the tires, I've done all the brakes and able to bleed them with no issues. I feel much safer working under that car compared to jack stands, not that I've ever had an issue with jack stands. Just a pain to store them but they have a nice home in my garage.

Luva

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI SE
I'm graduating from Harbor Freight jack stands, so nearly anything would be an improvement.

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
So it's 500 dollars if you want to get 4 stands to put your car completely up... I paid 1300.00 for my 7000lb quick jack single best purchase I made. I put the whole car up change the tires, I've done all the brakes and able to bleed them with no issues. I feel much safer working under that car compared to jack stands, not that I've ever had an issue with jack stands. Just a pain to store them but they have a nice home in my garage.
400-500 for secure stands, 300+ for a good jack. I’ve thought about the price of the quickjack vs that. Was gonna upgrade my harbor freights but decided to save for a quickjack myself.