GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It's the subtle cosmetic mods I like... POST YOURS

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Haha, thanks sir. Not my first run around the block, I’ve been longtime in the VW/Audi community and come from the B5 world as a resident idiot/masochist. This one is just my daily, but I do love it and even though the b5 is my true love, this car is so good and so fun to drive, it’s also a Uni stage 2 IS20- catted uni DP, stock exhaust, APR intake, and (unfortunately) the 09G auto. The only real thing I wish I was different.

Would you believe the car has 99k miles? I do own a business detailing and overall maintaining and assisting with super high end cars/collections, so I can’t help but keep the golf as minty as I can.

We are cut from the same cloth. OEM+ and subtle, clean mods are the best way to build a car that will be timeless and continue looking great for years. I can definitely believe it, as I'm in the same boat as you! My car will be 9 years old in June 🤯 and has about 137k miles on it currently. Our cars look better than some showroom fresh ones I've seen lol. Keep it up man 😎

500_6685.JPG

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
We are cut from the same cloth. OEM+ and subtle, clean mods are the best way to build a car that will be timeless and continue looking great for years. I can definitely believe it, as I'm in the same boat as you! My car will be 9 years old in June 🤯 and has about 137k miles on it currently. Our cars look better than some showroom fresh ones I've seen lol. Keep it up man 😎

View attachment 264995
Absolutely one of my favorite cars on here.

sherbet

Ready to race!

View attachment 264995
100% my feelings! I’ve never been one for look at me, I’ll change 100 dumb things to make myself happy that probably nobody except forum dwellers like us will notice.

I love the look and color scheme of your car, the right amount of silver and red to offset the grey. Damn you though, because now I feel like I do need to buy the aluminum mirror caps that I have been eyeing for a while. I love them on my B5, but those are legitimately solid aluminum, and didn’t know if the MK7 VW caps were plastic or actual aluminum. But I do think it will look fantastic on the night blue, and honestly, it looks even better than I thought it would from your pics.

Also** love the Pretoria’s with your setup. 19”? I’ve always wanted a set of these, but I don’t really want to run larger than 18” because in my sick mind, I like having wheels that fit both my S4 and my Golf, and 19” just doesn’t suit my style of driving and lately I’ve been on a path of working on dropping unsprung weight for both cars

sherbet

Ready to race!
Al
Sherb, I’d love to see a consolidated build thread for your car in the Build Journal section sometime. Absolutely love it.
unfortunately, I’m too impatient to actually take photos when I’m doing most things with the car, so I don’t really have a good progress log, so to speak. I pretty much bought this car with the intention of having a very good daily driver and in the past I’ve always ruined that when I overly modify a car. One of the valuable lessons I’ve learned over the years is that there is a certain point to which you cross that fine line between perfect daily and a bit too much. That said, I’ve pretty much reached a point with this car, where I am just about happy with everything, but now that I say that I can think of about 15 other things that I want to change. 🥲 the future for this car probably hold a rear sway bar, possibly pre facelift R front bumper, some slightly larger, yet OEM looking exhaust tips to fill out the valance…perhaps retrofit some e9x m3 oem tips or something subtle yet more suitable, 312mm non PP GTI brakes, even possibly 982 Boxster retrofit, and An upgraded intercooler. But many of those are just kind of things that I would like to do, not necessarily have any plans for it in the near future. My focus lately has been on my b5 project and while I love the golf, I sort of worry that anything past what I have done will start to compromise my love for the fact that I can jump in it at any time and go anywhere without concern-and still pass the girlfriend doesn’t bitch test. Plus, the 2.7TT platform is just so much more thrilling and is an endless pit of wasted money but man, it is such an exciting car to drive and the noises it makes are spine tingling.

If I do end up considering more mods in the future, I would probably do a build thread but for now I don’t really know if there’s much of a point considering I’m attempting to be at a stopping point of the build and just running it and having fun with such a low cost, high reward car.

where2

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'19 e-Golf
I've seen Adam's car up close, and I'd never have guessed it has 137k on it. I'll have to bring the e-Golf back down to visit some Tuesday night, after I come up with more creative, yet subtle mods for it. I'm currently itching for a set of Osram Mk7 Facelift LEDriving headlights to replace the factory SE halogens. (Honestly, I'd love to upgrade to a set of European facelift DLA LED lights, but I don't know anyone with access to a VCP/ODIS setup, and I don't have the lane keeping camera to make them work properly).

Rich guys with GTIs 😁
Not all of us... ⚡🔌

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
Damn you though, because now I feel like I do need to buy the aluminum mirror caps that I have been eyeing for a while. I love them on my B5, but those are legitimately solid aluminum, and didn’t know if the MK7 VW caps were plastic or actual aluminum. But I do think it will look fantastic on the night blue, and honestly, it looks even better than I thought it would from your pics.

Also** love the Pretoria’s with your setup. 19”? I’ve always wanted a set of these, but I don’t really want to run larger than 18” because in my sick mind, I like having wheels that fit both my S4 and my Golf, and 19” just doesn’t suit my style of driving and lately I’ve been on a path of working on dropping unsprung weight for both cars
Do it! They're relatively cheap for OEM parts (at least when I got them) and they add just the right amount of "pop" to tie in with your silver wheels/trim. They're not the full metal ones like older Audis had, but they do have a metallic coating if that makes sense - they are cold to the touch. Believe it is some sort of matte chrome finish that gets applied. They've held up very well over the years too, so no concerns there. Keep in mind there are two versions - the US accessory ones are plastic, the Euro ones are as I described above. While you're at it, go for Euro aspherical mirrors too if you haven't already - eliminates virtually all blindspots.

The Prets have always been a favorite of mine, but no denying that going with 19's has its drawbacks. The wheels look great, but they are pretty easy to bend. Tradeoff of being 21 lbs and flow formed I guess.

I've seen Adam's car up close, and I'd never have guessed it has 137k on it. I'll have to bring the e-Golf back down to visit some Tuesday night, after I come up with more creative, yet subtle mods for it. I'm currently itching for a set of Osram Mk7 Facelift LEDriving headlights to replace the factory SE halogens. (Honestly, I'd love to upgrade to a set of European facelift DLA LED lights, but I don't know anyone with access to a VCP/ODIS setup, and I don't have the lane keeping camera to make them work properly).
Appreciate that! Definitely hope you can make it out to another meet sometime soon. Those OSRAM lights would look great for sure. Never understood why VW put halogens on an EV - least efficient lighting available, not to mention downright antiquated.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Link not working, need to see what you did…the brutal CA winter is among us and they would make me feel fanci
I agree, 50 degrees this morning, too cold for my liking... thank goodness I've retrofitted heated steering wheel as well 😁 I require my butt, back and hands to be heated in unison.
DIY here by @Nuje. Both of us have Mk8 wheels, but for the Mk7 only the Golf wheel is available heated... suck it GTI drivers!

Not all of us... ⚡🔌
You can retrofit lane keeping camera, windshield and all (I have). If I hadn't picked up the Osrams before doing all that I would have likely gone pre-facelift DLA headlights. The Osrams look so good and work so well that it doesn't make sense for me to ditch them for DLA now.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I agree, 50 degrees this morning, too cold for my liking... thank goodness I've retrofitted heated steering wheel as well 😁 I require my butt, back and hands to be heated in unison.
DIY here by @Nuje. Both of us have Mk8 wheels, but for the Mk7 only the Golf wheel is available heated... suck it GTI drivers!

You can retrofit lane keeping camera, windshield and all (I have). If I hadn't picked up the Osrams before doing all that I would have likely gone pre-facelift DLA headlights. The Osrams look so good and work so well that it doesn't make sense for me to ditch them for DLA now.
Separate note… do you have a log of what you had to do to retrofit the electronic e-brake rear calipers? And do you need the whole console or just the center assembly?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Separate note… do you have a log of what you had to do to retrofit the electronic e-brake rear calipers? And do you need the whole console or just the center assembly?
Ohhhh... it's not worth it, haha. You need the whole center console. And you will spend lots of time with a dremel/snips to get everything back in, especially over the CoolerWorx, haha.
I have not put together the post about center console parts yet, it's coming soon-ish. Here's what I have put together so far regarding parts... again, not worth it.

https://golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/cuzoes-2015-golf-tdi-s-journal.373961/post-7889122

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Do it! They're relatively cheap for OEM parts (at least when I got them) and they add just the right amount of "pop" to tie in with your silver wheels/trim. They're not the full metal ones like older Audis had, but they do have a metallic coating if that makes sense - they are cold to the touch. Believe it is some sort of matte chrome finish that gets applied. They've held up very well over the years too, so no concerns there. Keep in mind there are two versions - the US accessory ones are plastic, the Euro ones are as I described above. While you're at it, go for Euro aspherical mirrors too if you haven't already - eliminates virtually all blindspots.
I've thought about going that route for my car at times but the Pure White base wouldn't make them pop at all.

AdamSheikh

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
15 GTI | 24 RS 3
I've thought about going that route for my car at times but the Pure White base wouldn't make them pop at all.
Idk, one of my favorite specced 8V RS3s was white with aluminum optics. Super clean, modern look if done right!

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Idk, one of my favorite specced 8V RS3s was white with aluminum optics. Super clean, modern look if done right!
1668177023749.png

it is pretty sharp.

Classic Man

Car(s)
2017 VW GTI

View attachment 264995
Amazing car. Very nice. Im curious about everyone's opinion about Pretoria replicas. Good? Bad? Is one brand better than another?