GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

It sounded like something banging on a metal bin-lid!!

Geoffers

I have had my MK 7.5 golf GTD DSG now for about six months. After a couple of weeks into ownership I was in a tight car park having to do about a 10 point turn. When setting off there was this loud banging noise like something banging on a metal bin lid!! It was quite quick about five or six bangs within two or three seconds until I applied the brakes and stopped. It was quite loud and definitely coming from under the car at the front around the engine gearbox area It was quite quick about five or six bangs within two or three seconds and was quite loud and definitely coming from under the car at the front around the engine gearbox area. Since then on a few occasions when setting off when it’s been sitting for a while there has been a jolt from 1st. It’s like the sensation of a gear cog that’s missing a couple of teeth and it catches again if that makes sense? I am also convinced that the gearbox is getting noisier just in general as it sounds quite ‘geary’ and a little rattly when I put my foot down. The DSG seems very hesitant and generally unpredictable as well.
I took it into the local VW garage who obviously said there is nothing wrong with it after plugging it in to the computer but recently it has happened again and so it is going in again next Tuesday. Just wondered if anyone else has experienced a similar banging noise and subsequent issue with gearbox jerking from set off?

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
Drain gearbox oil and change to Motul. Send a sample off to be analyzed for metal wear particles. Examine closely the fluid you drain out, pour it through a sieve. This will help you eliminate gearbox.has anybody had the drive axles disconnected from transaxle? Was it properly reinstalled?

golfdave

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf GT Estate
You need to find out how to replicate it on command..then do that with a dealer tech in the car with you driving it...

It could be front stub axles/joints also if it does it on tight full lock turns..

Geoffers

So, this is still ongoing for me. After a few more months of driving like this the symptoms have gotten worse but after now probably 7 or 8 dealership appointments and customer services getting involved no-one has actually taken anything apart to take a look!!
Most recent symptoms now steer towards a DMF problem. When I pull up to lights or slow down for speed-humps etc there is a knock maybe 2-3 times from the front that I can feel through the pedal and floor/footrest. Dealer said it’s my driving style and the gearbox is shifting down quickly. Bullshit. This shakes the car too much and if it’s shifting from 2nd to 1st why does it clunk loudly 3 times??!
Also vibrations while driving have become more noticeable and I can almost feel metal on metal rubbing almost like it’s driving with the brakes on slightly.
Now getting master technicians from Milton Keynes involved and my patience has run out.
I’ll keep you posted but would be interested of anyone with DMF issues on the past that can relate to these symptoms??

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2016 3Dr GTi DSG CSG
Record a clear video of it happening and post it here.

Geoffers

In the meantime the dealer did a DSG recalibration and put an update on the ecu software. Thanks to this my car is now doing 35mpg!!!!!!!! ?

Geoffers

So, a third dealership has now finally said the knocking is not normal but don’t know what’s broken. They are purely relying on computer readings which are not throwing out any fault codes to try and find out what’s wrong! At no point have they actually got their spanner’s out and taken bits off!! This is getting beyond a joke! Currently they are awaiting guidance from VW technical on what to do!! ?
At this point if they refuse to disassemble anything I will instruct them to do it myself and I’ll pay for the labour if that’s what they’re worried about. When they finally open things up and see the problem it’ll be covered by warranty anyway so they won’t be paying and either will I. It’s a complete shit-show on VW’s part and on this basis this car will probably be the first and last VW I’ll have.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
Check the universal joints in the drive shaft. I have had one disintegrate doing a tight turn.