GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ISUDAR For Apple Carplay/Android Auto Wireless Module - anyone try?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Since so many have had luck with this product, I’m going to give it a fair shake. I am returning the 4.0 and I ordered a 3.0 from Carlinkit direct. They have a good deal right now. $75 shipped with the discount code. It’s worth a shot. If I don’t like this one I will return the wired way.
Way late to this dance, I realize, but just for anyone else who may have gone down this route:
When my CarLinkit wireless CP thing has issues connecting (and rebooting, restarting it, or the MIB itself won't fix it), I've discovered it's typically because my iPhone has decided to connect to the MIB's bluetooth connection...and won't let go.

Go into BT settings on the phone, tap your car's BT connection (I've renamed mine to "Sportwagen"; can't remember what the default name is) and then DISCONNECT. You can go all the way and FORGET THIS DEVICE, too.

Once I do that, the CP via the Carlinkit typically re-asserts itself; at worst a unplug/replug of the Carlinkit gets it going again.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Way late to this dance, I realize, but just for anyone else who may have gone down this route:
When my CarLinkit wireless CP thing has issues connecting (and rebooting, restarting it, or the MIB itself won't fix it), I've discovered it's typically because my iPhone has decided to connect to the MIB's bluetooth connection...and won't let go.

Go into BT settings on the phone, tap your car's BT connection (I've renamed mine to "Sportwagen"; can't remember what the default name is) and then DISCONNECT. You can go all the way and FORGET THIS DEVICE, too.

Once I do that, the CP via the Carlinkit typically re-asserts itself; at worst a unplug/replug of the Carlinkit gets it going again.
Oh. Good call. I’ve also noticed, not a huge deal, but if I’m on a call, get into my car it will only connect to the in car BT until the call has ended. Maybe it will fix that too.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Oh. Good call. I’ve also noticed, not a huge deal, but if I’m on a call, get into my car it will only connect to the in car BT until the call has ended. Maybe it will fix that too.
That might be a quirk of how App-Connect works. I'm using android, with AAWireless dongle.

If I'm on call when I get to the car Android Auto does not start, but the phone connects/call works in the car. Once I hang up Android Auto starts.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
That might be a quirk of how App-Connect works. I'm using android, with AAWireless dongle.

If I'm on call when I get to the car Android Auto does not start, but the phone connects/call works in the car. Once I hang up Android Auto starts.
Most likely. I think I’m going to disconnect BT since I always have CP going anyways. If it won’t connect to CP upon entering I’ll reenable BT.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Most likely. I think I’m going to disconnect BT since I always have CP going anyways. If it won’t connect to CP upon entering I’ll reenable BT.
I don't know how CP works, but Android Auto wireless will not work without a BT connection. I don't remember how it worked wired. If I have (accidentally) turned off BT on my phone I know it when I get in the car because AA does not start. It needs the BT for the connection to be established. I have not tried turning off BT once connected to see what happens.

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
I don't know how CP works, but Android Auto wireless will not work without a BT connection. I don't remember how it worked wired. If I have (accidentally) turned off BT on my phone I know it when I get in the car because AA does not start. It needs the BT for the connection to be established. I have not tried turning off BT once connected to see what happens.
CarPlay is the same, works via a handoff between BT and wifi. I would imagine (and maybe this is what @gixxerfool meant) that you could disable bluetooth (or at least "forget" the phone connection) in the infotainment. Phone BT stays on but it doesn't know or see a car BT connection is there, only the CP one.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
CarPlay is the same, works via a handoff between BT and wifi. I would imagine (and maybe this is what @gixxerfool meant) that you could disable bluetooth (or at least "forget" the phone connection) in the infotainment. Phone BT stays on but it doesn't know or see a car BT connection is there, only the CP one.
@Cuzoe what he said. Thank you sir.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Interesting, although I'm not using the ISUDAR so I can't speak to it. I just tried forgetting my phone connection in the car at lunch, AA did not start. There was no separate Android Auto BT connection per-se... my phone is always connected to the car, which is VWBT664 or something, even as wireless Android Auto is running.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Interesting, although I'm not using the ISUDAR so I can't speak to it. I just tried forgetting my phone connection in the car at lunch, AA did not start. There was no separate Android Auto BT connection per-se... my phone is always connected to the car, which is VWBT664 or something, even as wireless Android Auto is running.
Weird. I just forgot my cars BT connection while CP was running and it kept going.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I didn't do it with the system already connected... maybe it would have remained connected. But I'm certainly not going to be pairing/un-pairing anything every time I drive, haha.

That being said, I don't have a problem to "solve" anyway. AA not starting if I go the car while already on the phone is not a big deal. If I really need to use AA for navigation I just tell the person I'll call them right back. Hang up, AA starts. Then I start navigation/call them back, in whatever order, and I'm on my way.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I didn't do it with the system already connected... maybe it would have remained connected. But I'm certainly not going to be pairing/un-pairing anything every time I drive, haha.

That being said, I don't have a problem to "solve" anyway. AA not starting if I go the car while already on the phone is not a big deal. If I really need to use AA for navigation I just tell the person I'll call them right back. Hang up, AA starts. Then I start navigation/call them back, in whatever order, and I'm on my way.
That’s fair. You’re right it’s not a problem. It’s more of why keep it connected to BT when I don’t use it and possibly get rid of this annoyance while I’m at it. Two birds, one stone. I don’t throw stones at birds. Or my car. I just don’t throw stones. What were we talking about?

Nuje

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2015 Sportwagen TDI
I think the Bible says a bird in the bush is better than two stone hands... that might not be right, hmm.
Tablets. I think it was "...better than two stone tablets". ;)

As for the matter at hand, I actually bought one of these for my wife's A3 e-tron (2016, which was Audi's last pre-CarPlay m.y., apparently; I just have to wait until she's not looking so I can install it and see what's what.

I also have a gateway to install to get heated steering wheel working (hopefully), so my plan is to do it all then.

Pyro

I just bought this unit last week and am surprised how well it works. I have a fender sub and steering wheel controls work just fine.

The one problem I have is getting the stock reverse camera to come up when I put the car into reverse. I'm assuming the video feed should be sent through the harness but do I need to connect the trigger wire to something? If anyone has got this working with the stock camera please let me know!
did you figure it out? I'm thinking of rebuying it to try again, this time from Amazon.com so the returns might be a bit easier