GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ISUDAR For Apple Carplay/Android Auto Wireless Module - anyone try?

Pyro

Hi everyone, I am looking to add wireless android auto to my Canadian 2015 MK7 GTI with MIB1 and Fender audio. Has anyone bought this wireless module before? I have been trying to ask the seller if the unit has a fiber optic connection for the Fender audio but haven't gotten a clear answer besides: "Does the car have OEM CD player at the glove box? it is compatible if the car has CD player at the glove box."

Looking for any feedback on this one before I try buying, thanks!

ISUDAR For Apple Carplay Wireless Module Video Android Auto For Audi/Volkswagen/Skoda/Seat/Golf/Passat/SUPERP B/Ibaiza MIB MIB2|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I have that exact unit in my 2015 GTI MIB1 non fender....I like it! You get wireless carplay/android auto and Nav on the previously useless 5.8" screen. The interface is also of the newer android auto similar to my bro's new 2021 Atlas MIB3, not the older interface that MIB2 uses. The ONLY thing I don't like is that you can't control switching tracks using steering controls when using AUX (first world problem).

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I have that exact unit in my 2015 GTI MIB1 non fender....I like it! You get wireless carplay/android auto and Nav on the previously useless 5.8" screen. The interface is also of the newer android auto similar to my bro's new 2021 Atlas MIB3, not the older interface that MIB2 uses. The ONLY thing I don't like is that you can't control switching tracks using steering controls when using AUX (first world problem).
Are you using the same phone in the 2021 Atlas? Later versions of Android Auto can recognize vehicles with a wide screen (resolution based, not physical size based) and will allow a split screen GUI that is pretty nice. That shouldn't be interpreted as an MIB2/MIB3 difference though, at least not directly. You can modify a file on MIB2 so that it reports a higher resolution to the connected phone, which will allow AA split screen GUI on any screen, although it's not perfect.

That specific modification won't work with the ISUDAR, although the ISUDAR could (or might already, or could have the option to) report a resolution to the connected phone that allows AA split screen GUI mode. I'm assuming the firmware on that unit can be updated.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Are you using the same phone in the 2021 Atlas? Later versions of Android Auto can recognize vehicles with a wide screen (resolution based, not physical size based) and will allow a split screen GUI that is pretty nice. That shouldn't be interpreted as an MIB2/MIB3 difference though, at least not directly. You can modify a file on MIB2 so that it reports a higher resolution to the connected phone, which will allow AA split screen GUI on any screen, although it's not perfect.

That specific modification won't work with the ISUDAR, although the ISUDAR could (or might already, or could have the option to) report a resolution to the connected phone that allows AA split screen GUI mode. I'm assuming the firmware on that unit can be updated.
I'm using the same phone on both Samsung S10 which supports wireless android out of the box. The iSUDAR does have dipswitches that you can pick resolution of the unit itself as long as your screen will display it, but not sure if it will pick up the splitscreen option without some sort of firmware mode which most likely will never happen, but for what it is it's not too shabby. I'm going to switch to MIB2/6.5" screen soon and will keep the iSUDAR in place and not go with the OEM android auto.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Benihana Gotcha... It now dawns on me that when you said interface you meant wired/wireless... not that it looks different on the screen.

I suspect the iSUDAR dip switches are to make sure it outputs the right resolution (matching the resolution of whatever screen is in your car). It would make sense for the iSUDAR to provide that info to the connecting AA device as well, but I don't know if they designed it that way.

As far as AA splitscreen GUI... when AA connects it receives some information from the car (or iSUDAR in your case) about its configuration. For example when I connect to my MIB 2.5 the MIB 2.5 sends information about its screen resolution to AA. If that's a widescreen resolution AA will then show the split screen GUI option. It's not very common.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
@Benihana Gotcha... It now dawns on me that when you said interface you meant wired/wireless... not that it looks different on the screen.

I suspect the iSUDAR dip switches are to make sure it outputs the right resolution (matching the resolution of whatever screen is in your car). It would make sense for the iSUDAR to provide that info to the connecting AA device as well, but I don't know if they designed it that way.

As far as AA splitscreen GUI... when AA connects it receives some information from the car (or iSUDAR in your case) about its configuration. For example when I connect to my MIB 2.5 the MIB 2.5 sends information about its screen resolution to AA. If that's a widescreen resolution AA will then show the split screen GUI option. It's not very common.
Actually I meant what it looks like on the screen. I noticed that the MIB2 2016 android auto looked more plain than the interface on the iSUDAR, or maybe I just saw an outdated version and now they are all updated to the newest version.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Actually I meant what it looks like on the screen. I noticed that the MIB2 2016 android auto looked more plain than the interface on the iSUDAR, or maybe I just saw an outdated version and now they are all updated to the newest version.
Oh, then yes in that case probably just updates. A new UI called "Coolwalk" has been seen but isn't released yet. It will apply across the board.

https://www.androidpolice.com/andro...ust-looking-more-and-more-like-apple-carplay/

Pyro

Happy to finally see some discussion on my post haha. I was talking to a friend today who installed a similar unit on his Audi and he asked me a basic question which might solve the Fender audio question - since this module connects to the screen (sort of acting like a bypass of the glove box brain?), it doesn't need to connect to the amp directly? Since the connection flow is module -> head unit -> amp -> speakers, the head unit is already connected to the amp. No need for the module to have an optical connection.

Does this make sense?

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
Not sure how it works with fender, but I have a helix soundbox that alters the harness and that worked no problem. I think it passes the signal through no matter what if it's OEM or fender.

kyllo34

Car(s)
Mk7 golf r
Hey guys, I've been looking at different solutions for adding wireless carplay to my mk7 R and this seems like it might be the cleanest/closest to an OEM feel ive been able to find. I havent been able to find any other posts about this isudar module though. Could you guys give any input as to its general responsiveness and connectivity? Would adding this cause any issues with any other feature in the car? My goal would be to get a module like this and then also get the OEM wireless charger cubby. https://a.aliexpress.com/_msA8CST. Any input and help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I would like to add this as well. Does it just add wireless CarPlay to units that already have wired CarPlay?
It would get you wireless CarPlay but it is completely separate from the wired CarPlay you have now. What this (and similar) units do is act as a man in the middle between your main unit and the screen. This unit would be its own CarPlay/AA capable device to which your phone connects. It acts as the radio (as far as your phone is concerned) and takes over your screen. Typically it will use your aux-in and also connect to can bus somewhere to sniff for/send commands. That way it has some or even full compatibility with your steering wheel or other controls.

You would set your factory stereo audio to Aux Input. Then press whatever combination of buttons gets the Isudar to take over the screen. Your phone (or any other device for which the Isudar takes input) is now shown on the screen (Carplay/AA/HDMI In/MirrorLink/whatever) and playing audio to your speakers.

If implemented properly your car would have no idea the Isudar or similar device is even there. @kyllo34 I can't speak to responsiveness/connectivity but it should not impact anything else in the car.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
It would get you wireless CarPlay but it is completely separate from the wired CarPlay you have now. What this (and similar) units do is act as a man in the middle between your main unit and the screen. This unit would be its own CarPlay/AA capable device to which your phone connects. It acts as the radio (as far as your phone is concerned) and takes over your screen. Typically it will use your aux-in and also connect to can bus somewhere to sniff for/send commands. That way it has some or even full compatibility with your steering wheel or other controls.

You would set your factory stereo audio to Aux Input. Then press whatever combination of buttons gets the Isudar to take over the screen. Your phone (or any other device for which the Isudar takes input) is now shown on the screen (Carplay/AA/HDMI In/MirrorLink/whatever) and playing audio to your speakers.

If implemented properly your car would have no idea the Isudar or similar device is even there. @kyllo34 I can't speak to responsiveness/connectivity but it should not impact anything else in the car.
That’s what I thought. Not really the solution I want. Thanks for the clarification.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I have this unit installed and just recently got an iphone 13, and carplay turns on much faster than android auto did with my old s10. Carplay was on about 3 seconds after the gti logo finished loading on the screen. No lag at all and very responsive, still got to upgrade to the 6.5" screen as the 5.8" screen resolution is not that great, but surprisingly colorful.