GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ISUDAR For Apple Carplay/Android Auto Wireless Module - anyone try?

kyllo34

Car(s)
Mk7 golf r
I have this unit installed and just recently got an iphone 13, and carplay turns on much faster than android auto did with my old s10. Carplay was on about 3 seconds after the gti logo finished loading on the screen. No lag at all and very responsive, still got to upgrade to the 6.5" screen as the 5.8" screen resolution is not that great, but surprisingly colorful.
Thanks for the response! Did you lose any media or steering wheel functionality? And with this, does the USB port in the cubby still work? Are there a series of buttons you need to press to access the Carplay screen or does it behave as if the phone is always plugged in?

Last edited:

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Thanks for the response! Did you lose any media or steering wheel functionality? And with this, does the USB port in the cubby still work? Are there a series of buttons you need to press to access the Carplay screen?
I believe it plugs into the usb port in the cubby. I think what many are doing is retrofitting the usb hub some overseas cars have or retrofitting the cubby qi charger.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
If this thing is using the USB port in the cubby for anything I would not buy it. USB port in the cubby should be unaffected.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion
I don't have the USB in the cubby, I have the MDI port....and in that regard no it doesn't effect it. The unit comes with it's own USB port and MINI-SD card port which you can use while using the GUI of the iSUDAR, or you can switch back to the original screen (by holding the media button for 2 seconds) and use the USB cubby port like you normal would have, but the iSUDAR will not recognize the USB cubby media.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I don't have the USB in the cubby, I have the MDI port....and in that regard no it doesn't effect it. The unit comes with it's own USB port and MINI-SD card port which you can use while using the GUI of the iSUDAR, or you can switch back to the original screen (by holding the media button for 2 seconds) and use the USB cubby port like you normal would have, but the iSUDAR will not recognize the USB cubby media.
So it’s either the iSUDAR or the MIB, basically?

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@gixxerfool That should be correct, basically. But both should be running simultaneously so you could have CarPlay running (through the iSUDAR), switch to your MIB to change driving modes, then switch back to the iSUDAR. Or at least that's how it would operate if I designed the system.

Should be like running two computers with a single monitor that's on a switch. But only Computer 1 has speakers so Computer 2 plays audio via Computer 1's aux jack.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
@gixxerfool That should be correct, basically. But both should be running simultaneously so you could have CarPlay running (through the iSUDAR), switch to your MIB to change driving modes, then switch back to the iSUDAR. Or at least that's how it would operate if I designed the system.

Should be like running two computers with a single monitor that's on a switch. But only Computer 1 has speakers so Computer 2 plays audio via Computer 1's aux jack.
Ok. That’s the feeling I got. I would much prefer an actual, or reasonable facsimile to, my wife’s Tiguan with factory Wireless CarPlay.

Benihana

Go Kart Champion

You can also use the MFD on the gauge cluster to guide your driving mode change without switching back to MIB.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@gixxerfool Assuming your 2016 already has CarPlay... Just buy one of the Wireless CarPlay dongles. It plugs into your USB port in place of your phone.

Your phone sees the dongle as a wireless CarPlay capable head unit. And your car sees the dongle as a plugged in phone. Most of the dongles boot up and connect in 15-30 seconds.

You don't need to mess with any of this iSUDAR stuff, again assuming your car already has CarPlay. Similar dongles are available for AndroidAuto as well.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
@gixxerfool Assuming your 2016 already has CarPlay... Just buy one of the Wireless CarPlay dongles. It plugs into your USB port in place of your phone.

Your phone sees the dongle as a wireless CarPlay capable head unit. And your car sees the dongle as a plugged in phone. Most of the dongles boot up and connect in 15-30 seconds.

You don't need to mess with any of this iSUDAR stuff, again assuming your car already has CarPlay. Similar dongles are available for AndroidAuto as well.
It does have CP already. I would hate to lose the USB port but I may have to.
Thanks for the information.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Might I ask.. what do you use the USB port for right now, not CarPlay?

The built-in USB port doesn't support any fast charging, so a 12V USB port charger is better for that. And if it's for media you should have a spare SD card slot on the glovebox unit. SD cards are cheaper than USB sticks and no less convenient.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
Might I ask.. what do you use the USB port for right now, not CarPlay?

The built-in USB port doesn't support any fast charging, so a 12V USB port charger is better for that. And if it's for media you should have a spare SD card slot on the glovebox unit. SD cards are cheaper than USB sticks and no less convenient.
CarPlay. You’re correct though. So I just ordered a carlinkit 4.0. $40 off coupon on Amazon and I had reward points. So $70 it’s a steal.

gixxerfool

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 Golf R
I wanted to post quick impressions. Setup was easy. Interface is a little slow, but I can deal. Dropped my daughter off and it worked fine. Now it won’t initialize and I can’t connect to reset it. Kind of the experience I expected and didn’t want. This is why I have been so hesitant of any of these “solutions”. I would rather put time and effort into a retrofit if I find a solid answer.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
I think some people over in Europe have managed to retrofit MIB 3 in other VAG cars. Haven't seen anything about a Golf 7 yet though.