GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issues with Bilsteins and Camber Plates?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Wondering if there are any known issues with B16s and running extra camber.

When my car had about 90k on it, I installed a set of Bilstein PSS10 B16s. After about 10k, I installed the 034 camber plates and ~15k or so later (25k total) the front struts failed. I ended up purchasing and installing new B16 struts (was the best option available to me with a track date coming up at the time) and, with the new struts, I swapped over to Superpro camber plates. 5k later, it seems the drivers strut is now on the way out.

I know I'm not the only person out there running Bilsteins with extra camber (I've done it in the past on other cars) and I can't find anything that suggests this is a common issue, other than one person who was selling a set of coilovers after the shaft broke when installed with the 034 density mounts (the stiffer ones that don't have any extra camber). I also have the RS3 style solid rubber bushings, 26mm H&R FSB and run slicks on the track, so there's other stiffer front suspension work, but nothing crazier than what many other people run.

One of the old struts has a dark spot on the shaft. I've also not had any luck looking for causes of that, but I suppose it is possible that excessive heat from the brakes (both failures have come after a track weekend) could be causing the failure. Trying to google "dark spot on strut/shock shaft" just returns a bunch of results for "dark spot on shaft" which are unhelpful (though I suppose a reason to be optimistic, because at least I don't have that particular problem).

scrllock

Autocross Champion
I've heard of this happening with Bilsteins and other camber mounts re-using the stock bearing. More of these on BMWs if you look on their forums instead.

I'd get in touch with someone who rebuilds these and ask what they think (would save yourself money over buying more sets new too). Odds are bilstein will tell you you either installed them improperly or they're not intended to be used with aftermarket mounts.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Is there an aftermarket strut bearing option? I’ve never seen one the 4 times I’ve had to buy the parts to do this work. I did look at some BMW stuff and found some people who had Bilstein deny warranty claims because of the camber but for most/all of the ones I saw it isn’t clear that’s actually why they failed—that’s just the excuse Bilstein gave for denying the claim. And, again, there are so many results of people running similar or more aggressive setups with the same coilovers, including vendors selling kits with the coilovers paired with camber plates. Apparently Vorshlag has camber plates specifically for the Bilsteins, which would be an odd choice if they are incompatible.

I’m probably going to have the spare set I have rebuilt, and hopefully whoever does that can provide some guidance.

One thing I thought of while I went out to look at the car is that I have an aux radiator on the passenger side (like the Golf R does) and the air vents in the bumper and fender lining to go with it. So, that side gets some extra air flow through there which might help with overheating. Hoping that’s the issue because it might be something I can remedy by getting some extra air in there/figuring out a heat shield for the strut. Not in love with the Bilsteins at the moment and wouldn’t have put them on in the first instance if I could do it again, but $600 or so to rebuild the two old ones is better than $2500 to replace them with something else.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Is there an aftermarket strut bearing option? I’ve never seen one the 4 times I’ve had to buy the parts to do this work. I did look at some BMW stuff and found some people who had Bilstein deny warranty claims because of the camber but for most/all of the ones I saw it isn’t clear that’s actually why they failed—that’s just the excuse Bilstein gave for denying the claim. And, again, there are so many results of people running similar or more aggressive setups with the same coilovers, including vendors selling kits with the coilovers paired with camber plates. Apparently Vorshlag has camber plates specifically for the Bilsteins, which would be an odd choice if they are incompatible.

I’m probably going to have the spare set I have rebuilt, and hopefully whoever does that can provide some guidance.

One thing I thought of while I went out to look at the car is that I have an aux radiator on the passenger side (like the Golf R does) and the air vents in the bumper and fender lining to go with it. So, that side gets some extra air flow through there which might help with overheating. Hoping that’s the issue because it might be something I can remedy by getting some extra air in there/figuring out a heat shield for the strut. Not in love with the Bilsteins at the moment and wouldn’t have put them on in the first instance if I could do it again, but $600 or so to rebuild the two old ones is better than $2500 to replace them with something else.
Yes, the strut bearing is one of the components that full plates like Vorshlag or Ground Control replace with a spherical bearing. My Ohlins kit has an adapter to use their own bearing with the stock mounts. I'm just wondering if using the stock bearing with a rubber/poly mount that doesn't allow for the articulation of a spherical is somehow forcing some radial load that the bilsteins can't handle.

I had good luck with Delta Vee here in MI, recommend giving him a call to make sure your stuff is rebuildable first.

I'd never run a Bilstein street kit with slicks, I recommend you invest into there Bilstein Evo R kit or a KW Clubsport kit.

I agree, stock B16 rates is not sufficient for slicks. Do you have a part number for an Evo R kit that fits the MQB/Mk7 chassis?

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Yes, the strut bearing is one of the components that full plates like Vorshlag or Ground Control replace with a spherical bearing. My Ohlins kit has an adapter to use their own bearing with the stock mounts. I'm just wondering if using the stock bearing with a rubber/poly mount that doesn't allow for the articulation of a spherical is somehow forcing some radial load that the bilsteins can't handle.

Which Ohlins kit do you run? (I only see one out there, but just checking.) The strut bearing issue makes sense to me.

I agree, stock B16 rates is not sufficient for slicks. Do you have a part number for an Evo R kit that fits the MQB/Mk7 chassis?
This also makes sense. The issue is that I made the choice to run slicks well after I put the B16s on. And I’m more willing to run slicks with a suboptimal suspension setup (from a performance standpoint) than I am spending $3k on another set of coilovers.

I could just not run slicks again—but I really like them. I’ve also sort of reached the limit of major cash I’m willing to put into the car.

I have two sets of these at this point, so I might as well rebuild the ones that are not on the car at this point. Maybe I can find out why exactly they’re failing in the process. And if they don’t go back on the car then I can hopefully sell the set for what the rebuild cost is and get my money back on that.

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Which Ohlins kit do you run? (I only see one out there, but just checking.) The strut bearing issue makes sense to me.

This also makes sense. The issue is that I made the choice to run slicks well after I put the B16s on. And I’m more willing to run slicks with a suboptimal suspension setup (from a performance standpoint) than I am spending $3k on another set of coilovers.

I could just not run slicks again—but I really like them. I’ve also sort of reached the limit of major cash I’m willing to put into the car.

I have two sets of these at this point, so I might as well rebuild the ones that are not on the car at this point. Maybe I can find out why exactly they’re failing in the process. And if they don’t go back on the car then I can hopefully sell the set for what the rebuild cost is and get my money back on that.
I have a very old MP21 kit (2015ish GTI spec) that's been rebuilt to MT21 (pre-2020 R) spec. If you buy one new off the shelf now, you get a variant of MU21, which shortened the strut body by 20mm. Good question, since there are at least 4 MQB kits out there.

IMO I would contact a bilstein builder who does custom stuff and let them know you've got big sway bars and slicks, so they can help you adjust valving and pick new springs, then add camber plates with an appropriate perch.

MiamiBourne

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2016 6MT Golf R Oryx
Wondering if there are any known issues with B16s and running extra camber.

When my car had about 90k on it, I installed a set of Bilstein PSS10 B16s. After about 10k, I installed the 034 camber plates and ~15k or so later (25k total) the front struts failed. I ended up purchasing and installing new B16 struts (was the best option available to me with a track date coming up at the time) and, with the new struts, I swapped over to Superpro camber plates. 5k later, it seems the drivers strut is now on the way out.

I know I'm not the only person out there running Bilsteins with extra camber (I've done it in the past on other cars) and I can't find anything that suggests this is a common issue, other than one person who was selling a set of coilovers after the shaft broke when installed with the 034 density mounts (the stiffer ones that don't have any extra camber). I also have the RS3 style solid rubber bushings, 26mm H&R FSB and run slicks on the track, so there's other stiffer front suspension work, but nothing crazier than what many other people run.

One of the old struts has a dark spot on the shaft. I've also not had any luck looking for causes of that, but I suppose it is possible that excessive heat from the brakes (both failures have come after a track weekend) could be causing the failure. Trying to google "dark spot on strut/shock shaft" just returns a bunch of results for "dark spot on shaft" which are unhelpful (though I suppose a reason to be optimistic, because at least I don't have that particular problem).

I remember reading people with Bilstein B16’s and the top nut shearing off. Apparently it was due to not using OEM strut mounts…well it was what Bilstein was saying I guess. I took a few screen shots at the time since I was looking into getting some B16 Coils (still am)

Attachments

• IMG_3388.jpeg
    IMG_3388.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 72
  • IMG_3389.jpeg
    IMG_3389.jpeg
    620.9 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_3390.jpeg
    IMG_3390.jpeg
    852.9 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_3391.png
    IMG_3391.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 73

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
I have a very old MP21 kit (2015ish GTI spec) that's been rebuilt to MT21 (pre-2020 R) spec. If you buy one new off the shelf now, you get a variant of MU21, which shortened the strut body by 20mm. Good question, since there are at least 4 MQB kits out there.
Is the MT21 the most desirable? I did a quick search and couldn’t find out what the difference is.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Is the MT21 the most desirable? I did a quick search and couldn’t find out what the difference is.
MT21 doesn't offer lowering, MU21 does (for an R, at least). Only real difference I think

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
Well I bought a set of Ohlins and sent the front struts from the first set of PSS10s out to be rebuilt. If those turn out to be rebuildable, I’ll probably keep one set of PSS10s and sell the others.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R

I had good luck with Delta Vee here in MI, recommend giving him a call to make sure your stuff is rebuildable first.

Not sure if you’re still thinking about new suspension, but there’s a JRZ RS2 kit on FB, newly rebuilt, for 3k.

Very few folks would make use of that lol, but figured you might

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Not sure if you’re still thinking about new suspension, but there’s a JRZ RS2 kit on FB, newly rebuilt, for 3k.

Very few folks would make use of that lol, but figured you might
Couldn't find it, but I don't think I'm in the market this year.

And I don't know why greekspec deleted his post. For the record, the bilstein evo r p/n for Mk7/8 is 89-313022.

manu97

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 R
Couldn't find it, but I don't think I'm in the market this year.

And I don't know why greekspec deleted his post. For the record, the bilstein evo r p/n for Mk7/8 is 89-313022.
I looked again, and couldn't find it either. weird.

Half fast

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
For anybody following along, I bought a used set of Ohlins with Vorshlag plates. Installed them, noise is gone. Wish I’d have just done the Vorshlag plates to start. Perhaps the spherical bearing would’ve saved the Bilsteins. Live and learn.

I sent out a pair of the struts to get rebuilt. If nothing else, I’m interested to see what exactly failed. In an ideal world, I could put them on the car over the winter and send the Öhlins to be rebuilt.