GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue with nav on 2017 golf r?

drewdirienzo

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys. Have a month old 2017 golf r. Today the nav starting acting up. It just sits with a spinny wheel saying "starting navigation system" and nothing happens? Any thoughts?

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Nav issues seem to be common on '17s from several problems reported here. Could just be the SD card, or could be the MIB2 unit itself. A trip to the dealer is in order, bummer.

drewdirienzo

Passed Driver's Ed
Nav issues seem to be common on '17s from several problems reported here. Could just be the SD card, or could be the MIB2 unit itself. A trip to the dealer is in order, bummer.

Nothing I can reset or try? Wow month old car. Isounds like the problems ahead being only a month old is writing on the wall......

H22hatch

Ready to race!
Hey guys. Have a month old 2017 golf r. Today the nav starting acting up. It just sits with a spinny wheel saying "starting navigation system" and nothing happens? Any thoughts?

Same problem with my '17 R. Took it into the dealer and they had to order a new 5F module for it. Mine is only 3 weeks old. Still waiting for the new module.

typevw

My 2017 R had the same problem , Nav didn't work at delivery. The SD card from my Alltrack also didn't work in the R. However, both SD cards worked in the Alltrack. Dealer has apparently replaced the head unit in the R. I haven't picked up the car yet.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

mmahon

I just picked up a 2017 GTI Autobahn three weeks ago. The NAV says checking data on the SD card for about 10-15 minutes before the system reboots. The dealership is ordering me a new card. Maybe that's the fix, I'm not sure. The unit doesn't reboot with the SD Card removed. I'm pretty annoyed.

Does your system crash when the SD card is in?
For me they had to replace the 5F module

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
I just picked up a 2017 GTI Autobahn three weeks ago. The NAV says checking data on the SD card for about 10-15 minutes before the system reboots. The dealership is ordering me a new card. Maybe that's the fix, I'm not sure. The unit doesn't reboot with the SD Card removed. I'm pretty annoyed.

shit happens man. they'll fix it at no financial cost to you besides gas to the dealership, and a little time. cars are incredibly complex these days, things are bound to go wrong from time to time.

mmahon

shit happens man. they'll fix it at no financial cost to you besides gas to the dealership, and a little time. cars are incredibly complex these days, things are bound to go wrong from time to time.

I totally agree. First world problems. I guess I'm lucky to have them.:) I guess my real issue is I feel like the dealership touched my car and then it started having problems. It could be a coincidence, or, obviously it could be part of a giant global conspiracy to take a giant steaming dump on my day. Regardless, I like to complain.

Ironray

Just happen to my 2017 r yesterday. The spinning wheel navigation. Looks like it going to be problem with 2017 models. Oh well to the dealership. At least it not the tune that I flashed that caused it. This is very annoying but it's covered

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I don't know if this applies to the 2017 Golf, but on my 2017 Jetta, the Nav has the 2 SD card slots on the dash screen. The manual says that Slot 1 (closest to driver) runs at higher speed. I moved the navigation SD to slot 1 and it seemed to work a little faster and had less wait with the spinning "navigation starting up" screen.
I'm assuming the Golf's with infotainment box in the glovebox run the maps off built in memory as there is only one SD card slot?