GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue with nav on 2017 golf r?

Apw36

Did they by chance tell you which parts were ordered? They tried flashing mine and then ordered a new navigation SD card (not the reader, the card itself). It came in and was the same version that I had, so clearly fixed nothing. I am waiting on another new card for my third trip back. I still think it is the card reader. My reader does not read all my FLAC files, so something is flaky there.

I'm not sure what the part is, and the invoice says misc parts with no part numbers. I'll try to chime back once it arrives from Germany.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
First post here. Coming over from the WRX/STI world since 2002. Got a grey '17 Golf R (DSG) a week ago (4/8). At 430 miles this morning the navigation stopped working. Damn.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Damn I've been problem free ('17 autobahn GTI) ever since the update, but then again I got away with 6k miles or something before it crapped out on me.
I'm at 9.5k now.

TimGTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
No resolution yet

I took my 2017 GTI in for the third time regarding the navigation system issues. They tried a new SD card and, not surprisingly, that fixed nothing. They then spent about an hour on the line with the regional VW tech. Their next step is to have that regional tech come in to look at the car. They are still reluctant to replace any of the electronics, clinging to the idea that it is a software issue. It seems clear to me that it's hardware at fault. I am supposed to go in for repair trip number four later this week.

ogsura

I just asked this it to my tech - with for word. After 3 hours, 'diagnosing', they realize that they have no idea what is wrong. Is it ok to show the tech a post from here - and then have him charge me? After sitting with the car for 5 hours? This blows

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Here's something I've suggested before - see if they can source the unit out of the 2016 models, which is made by TechniSat and not Delphi. VERY few reports of problems with 2016's. Part# is 3Q0035876. The 2017 model that blows goats has an "A" on the end of the same number. At this point, the mofos ought to be willing to try this, since it's been MONTHS and they literally have no clue how to resolve the problem at this point. If the dealer tells you they can't order that part because their order system won't let them order a '16 part for a '17, or some such bureaucratic BS, then I'd call VWoA customer relations and give them a (polite) earful and demand the same thing.

virpacalis

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'17 R DSG
Update: the regional tech updated my nav software. It now works perfectly and the dealership did give me a new loaner GTI for the two days they needed for the fix.

TimGTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
We can add my 2017 GTI Autobahn to the list of casualties. In summary:

- 3/27: purchased vehicle new with 22 miles late on Monday. On drive home the stereo input controls stopped working and the head unit reset itself
- 3/28: navigation wouldn't start and was stuck searching for data
- 3/29: navigation somehow worked again; drove two hours without issue
- 3/30: navigation wouldn't work at all (searching and searching) and the system completely reset itself 5 times in 25 minutes, which seemed to stop when I yanked the SD navigation card
- 3/31 and 4/1: system wouldn't connect to iPhone via bluetooth, but I thought, at least until I can get to the dealer, I can use Apple CarPlay via USB. Nope. The reset cycle continued and only SiriusXM stations worked. Had to turn bluetooth off on phone and disconnect from USB to stop system resets
- 4/2: system resets itself even on just SiriusXM, when it does, the input and adjustment buttons (volume, etc.) don't work until a hard reset is performed

So, less than 500 miles in and I've had to return to use my phone headphones again - same as I did in the 1999 Honda Accord with 204k miles I traded in. Guess I'll be getting to know my local service department now. Had been hoping that a new vehicle would keep me from wasting my time in that way. At least it drives quite well.

If you eject your navigation SD card, the system reboots will stop -- at least they did for me. Then everything but navigation will work fine until they find the fix.

My apologies that I did not respond sooner -- I had been following this thread, but missed your post.

17R

Well my 2017 R purchased 02DE16 just had its NAV crap out this morning just as described here (re-boots and all). Mine lasted a 5 months and 9K miles. Its going in next week even though from reading this thread it doesn't seem likes there's a fix?

Kelvin

Volkslanta

If you eject your navigation SD card, the system reboots will stop -- at least they did for me. Then everything but navigation will work fine until they find the fix.

My apologies that I did not respond sooner -- I had been following this thread, but missed your post.

Hi Tim,
Thanks for chiming in. I had done that and at first it seemed to fix it, but as described, the system continued to deteriorate. Even with the card yanked, the system would reset when connected to bluetooth. Then it would reset without bluetooth, but connected to CarPlay. Then it would reset with nothing connected, just listening to SiriusXM. Navigation never did come back when I reinserted it to try again most days I drove it.

At about the 17th day of ownership, I was finally able to get it to the dealer. The tech couldn't recreate the problem, which was surprising since it existed in some form or another 16 of my first 17 days of ownership. Anyway, after sending the above info and some other details, they took it back into the shop. A regional tech came out to check it out. They reflashed it three times. It works now. We'll see how long. I asked the service advisor if I was going to be making a return visit at some point soon to get it fixed again. He acknowledge there are issues and you never really know.

As an aside, I also had to get them to repair a water leak into the spare tire well in the hatch that showed up in the second week. Hoping these are near term speed bumps in long term ownership. We'll see.

ignatiusdragon

Golf 2017 Navigation

Very pleased with my 2017 Match Estate 1.4 TSI DSG but the navigation route planning is such rubbish that it is unusable. My only disappointment.

TimGTI

Car(s)
2019 GTI Autobahn
Fixed, I hope!

Well, I took the GTI in for my fourth time in a month. They did their third software update and I have navigation again. They brought in a regional tech to do the update, but they did say this was a brand new update. They told me they had a Sportwagen in with the same issue today and that the software update fixed both systems.

I hope it is solved.

bluedoggiant

Go Kart Newbie
Well, I took the GTI in for my fourth time in a month. They did their third software update and I have navigation again. They brought in a regional tech to do the update, but they did say this was a brand new update. They told me they had a Sportwagen in with the same issue today and that the software update fixed both systems.

I hope it is solved.

I've been good for a long while since the initial update. What software version are we on now?