GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue with nav on 2017 golf r?

Ironray

My 2017 Golf r has two slots in the glove compartment. Besides that I Just got the news from the Dealer in there words ( have to replace the radio ) waiting on unit.

sandman0248

Adding on to the pile...

I have a 2017 GTI Autobahn (DSG), picked it up from the dealership 2 1/2 weeks ago with 10 miles on it. About a week ago, I noticed the following symptoms:

- Compass shows "--" instead of a direction
- Nav screen shows spinning wheel trying to read the SD card
- Infotainment screen eventually freezes and I’m unable to adjust volume
- After about a minute of screen freeze, the infotainment system reboots

Interestingly, if I remove the Nav SD card from the SD slot, everything but Nav works just fine.

Brought it to the dealership this morning, and they said they need to install a new 5F module (which they’ll have in stock in a couple days, knock on wood).

Thankfully CarPlay works just fine when I remove the Nav SD card, so I can just use the iPhone’s nav.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Obviously VW got a big batch of FUBAR MIB2 units recently. Nobody was reporting this with '16's, but it's becoming epidemic on '17's.

Can someone with the nav problem post up their part number? It's in the info display. I want to look up who the OEM is, curious if it's different than on my '16 (TechniSat was the OEM, made in Germany).

sandman0248

Obviously VW got a big batch of FUBAR MIB2 units recently. Nobody was reporting this with '16's, but it's becoming epidemic on '17's.

Can someone with the nav problem post up their part number? It's in the info display. I want to look up who the OEM is, curious if it's different than on my '16 (TechniSat was the OEM, made in Germany).

Device part number: 3Q0035876A
Hardware: 840
Software: 0751

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Interesting. 3Q0035876A is made by Delphi in Portugal:

3Q0035876 in my '16 is made by TechniSat in Germany:

The problems all seem to be with '17 models, so apparently Delphi built a bunch of turds.

Ironray

I have all the exact symptoms that you have. The dealer has told me that they ordered a new radio however they have none in stock at the distributor so they can't tell me an ETA. So here I wait. This is ridiculous. Has anyone had their Nav fixed yet?????

Ironray

That is the name of the manufacturer the dealer mentioned (Delphi) that has none in stock. Should have left the manufacturing of the radio in Germans hand.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Maybe see if the dealer can find the old part number without the "A"? Might still be lurking around if they just look for it. And apparently a better unit too. Delphi sucks in general!

Ironray

Maybe see if the dealer can find the old part number without the "A"? Might still be lurking around if they just look for it. And apparently a better unit too. Delphi sucks in general!

Thanks. I will contact the dealer.

Aaron MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Adding on to the pile...

I have a 2017 GTI Autobahn (DSG), picked it up from the dealership 2 1/2 weeks ago with 10 miles on it. About a week ago, I noticed the following symptoms:

- Compass shows "--" instead of a direction
- Nav screen shows spinning wheel trying to read the SD card
- Infotainment screen eventually freezes and I’m unable to adjust volume
- After about a minute of screen freeze, the infotainment system reboots

Interestingly, if I remove the Nav SD card from the SD slot, everything but Nav works just fine.

Brought it to the dealership this morning, and they said they need to install a new 5F module (which they’ll have in stock in a couple days, knock on wood).

Thankfully CarPlay works just fine when I remove the Nav SD card, so I can just use the iPhone’s nav.

Same exact issue on my month old (at the time) 17 R. Took it to the dealer yesterday and determined it is the 5F module. Part is in order and will have it replaced next Monday. Let's hope it works.

sandman0248

Same exact issue on my month old (at the time) 17 R. Took it to the dealer yesterday and determined it is the 5F module. Part is in order and will have it replaced next Monday. Let's hope it works.

You might want to call the dealership the day before your appointment to confirm that they have the part. I was supposed to have my new 5F module installed last Friday, but Ironray's post about his 5F being on back order prompted me to phone my dealership the day before my appointment. Turns out they didn't receive the 5F, and they said they'd call me when it turned up (which has yet to happen).

typevw

My Alltrack is in the service department for the same issue. Advisor says F5 unit is on a nationwide back order with no ETA. They will keep me posted. When they replaced the unit in my R back in November/December, it only took a few days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aaron MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
You might want to call the dealership the day before your appointment to confirm that they have the part. I was supposed to have my new 5F module installed last Friday, but Ironray's post about his 5F being on back order prompted me to phone my dealership the day before my appointment. Turns out they didn't receive the 5F, and they said they'd call me when it turned up (which has yet to happen).

Thanks so much for he heads up, I will be sure to call tomorrow.

Cheers

anaxagoras

Same problem, I've had my car for 3 months, been using the nav a lot, over 300 trips and 8k miles with it, just started acting up and doing the same thing. Nav spins and the HU reboots ever 15 minutes or so when using Android auto.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Aaron MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed

Thanks again for pointing this out. I called yesterday and you are correct, the 5f module is on back order (even though there's a huge lot hanging out in San Francisco right now). Now ETA for delivery.

Also, temporary fix that I just discovered is to remove the SD card from the Nav and no more reboots!!

Cheers
-L13