GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Issue: Drivers side rear window won't roll down, child safety lock fault

442GTI

Passed Driver's Ed
No overlay pin to pin, just replacement of the rear door harness. Very simple repair according to tech.

POLOCHON

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO 6MT
So just a quick update.
Reminder: mine was at dealer for: a) defective airbag alert in the cluster - airbag CEL.
b) windows sometimes not working. Child safety alert sometimes in cluster. sometimes all working fine. intermittent.

a) they will replace the whole airbag on passenger side. They didn't find any issue in wiring or short circuit. airbag in order - 2 weeks.
b) they took a look at window opening closing issue. But only had 1 hour left in the schedule to investigate. They think it as some link with the main module on my driver door. And they think it has a link with the button you press when you don't want your kids to mess with opening closing their windows. However I never push that button cause my kids know they should no mess with my car and the windows.

THey will investigate b) further in 2 weeks at the same time they will replace the airbag.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Seems to be isolated to Mexican GTI's. Curious if the German cars have a different wiring harness?

Mine does seem to have stemmed from the child lock button on the driver door, at least it was the one thing that could trigger the dash message.

POLOCHON

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO 6MT
So quick update - back from dealer
a) passenger airbag replaced under warranty.
b) electronic child safety in the cluster- some windows not working when it happens. BTW It happened again once last week and kids were seated at the back. So it happens only when kids are in the car.

Little upset cause dealer did investigate a little and since they were not able so see fault code (even if it happened again a week ago) and were not able to replicate the fault in the shop. So they look at wiring and it looks ok but I doubt they did lot of researches. However they opened a case with VW canada and they spoke about that issue with the "VW rep". Rep says it happened to some 2018 GTIs (I'm a 2018 GSW) so I confirm we are not alone. Dealer said their best technician for eletrical stuff is off for vacations and it would be better to wait his return to go further in this. ANd that VW of Canada accepted to pay them.
However, service manager told me VW rep said that they found in some cases that the problem was causes by the driver's cell phone, She said it's important to put the car in the center console while driving. Not on seats or in the door compartment. Cause some phones generate a lot of "magnetic waves" and can confuse some modules on the car. Ok.... honestly my BS radar rang at that moment. But after some reflection, sometimes I put my cell phone on seat or in my door storage...

So in the end, we booked a new appointment for early september. And she said, if it happens again, take pictures of message in the cluster and take notes of which windows aren't working, who and where are seated people in the car and were the phone is located at that moment.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
As a refresher, mine was a 2018 6mt GSW with 4motion. The driver side rear door first presented the window issue at ~11k miles. The dealers fix was a repinned canbus wire door to door. After many trips to the dealer in mid 2019 to diagnose, and a few more to fix the panel damage issues, the car was back in my hands. I am now at 28.8k miles and the issue hasn't come back... so my fix worked. It freaked me out to have a re-pin, but at this point i firmly believe I had some damage on that wire from Puebla. Car is fine, I still LOVE it, and we are good. Time will tell.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
I continue to make mine work by just jiggling the cable that pokes out of the b pillar and feeds into the rear door. 90% of the time, I can control the rear window with the front switches. 10% of the time, I have to open the rear door and use that window switch to make it work. But so far, there isn't a situation where it won't go up. Sort of stalled on miles, so could be a long time until I get to 30k and need service. Hovering at 28k miles now.

POLOCHON

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO 6MT
So the issue came back about 12 days ago.
Was crusing on highway with rear windows open. Then the child safety message came in the cluster, out of nowhere.
And jeeeez. I wasn't able to close rear passenger window. And rain came at the same moment.... bummer.
Parked the car. Tried to move the electric cable (duct) that is attached to door. Didn't make it. Stopped engine. Didn't work.
Waited 5 minutes. Restart engine. And it worked.
BTW, on week before that event, my pano roof leaked again.

Now the car is at dealer since Friday Sept 11th. They are going to try to fix the roof for the 4th time. And try to fix the child safety issue as well.
My confidence and faith levels are rrrreeeeal low.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
once again, pin-pin canbus wire replacement has kept me problem free since ~11k miles. I am now at ~31k miles and not a single re-occurrence of this issue. And still no leaks.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
So the issue came back about 12 days ago.
Was crusing on highway with rear windows open. Then the child safety message came in the cluster, out of nowhere.
And jeeeez. I wasn't able to close rear passenger window. And rain came at the same moment.... bummer.
Parked the car. Tried to move the electric cable (duct) that is attached to door. Didn't make it. Stopped engine. Didn't work.
Waited 5 minutes. Restart engine. And it worked.
BTW, on week before that event, my pano roof leaked again.

Now the car is at dealer since Friday Sept 11th. They are going to try to fix the roof for the 4th time. And try to fix the child safety issue as well.
My confidence and faith levels are rrrreeeeal low.
Mine is still in and out, but I have yet to encounter a situation where opening the rear door and using that window switch doesn't work. Probably looks odd when I'm on the highway and swing the rear door open to get the window up, but any VW owners that see it probably know what's going on.

POLOCHON

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO 6MT
Spoke with the service advisor yesterday. Car still in the shop.
He says they fixed the leak....(yeah right- sorry I'm doubtfull). Replaced the pano seal.
They soaked the car for hours and its freaking dry. And they tried to reproduce the little uphill parked condition I have im my drive way. Still dry.

Regarding the child safety stuff. They looked at wiring and cables, and they the found a ground/short somewhere. He says the cleaned the ground. However they will replace the window control module as well since VW told them to do that. I'm not an electrician. I'm just reusing the terms the advisor told me.

Should have my car back this Friday. Fingers crossed.

POLOCHON

Car(s)
2018 GSW 4MO 6MT
Spoke with advisor yesterday. Told me they did more soaking tests....and it leaked again. The nightmare continues.
I didn't ask about the child safety issue to know if it's been solved. I was just too pissed.
He said I should have my car back next week since they spoke with some top level VW tech that told them what to do to seal that small leak correctly. What a PITA.

Stay tuned for the next episode. I made a mistake; didn't involved VW Canada in the loop so far but will probably happen soon.

maxwell

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2018 GSW 6MT 4motion
If I had both going on at this point id probably push for a buy-back.

A short is serious, a short and a leak they cant fix is just terrible. so sorry to hear it.

Still madly in love with my mk7.5. I hope you get back to good like I did.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Yeah, I'm at my dealer for regular service. My service guy sounded less than enthusiastic about chasing down the cause of my child safety lock issue. I'm okay with that, seems like the "fix" is anything but.