GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is38 vs tte525

Dganic23

Looking to ditch my is20 for either a is38 or tte525 and meth kit. Car will be tuned locally on Cobb. Seeing what's my best option considering I'm on stock fuel system and motor obviosuly. If I did the tre525, was just going to tell my tuner to keep the torque curve down early on. Looking for the most reliable/potent setup for my money the car can support.

PLF8593

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
19 Alltrack 6MT
Looking to ditch my is20 for either a is38 or tte525 and meth kit. Car will be tuned locally on Cobb. Seeing what's my best option considering I'm on stock fuel system and motor obviosuly. If I did the tre525, was just going to tell my tuner to keep the torque curve down early on. Looking for the most reliable/potent setup for my money the car can support.

Well if you're looking for reliability, TTE is not exactly where you should be looking IS38 is safest. And if you wanna go TTE, do the 480 instead of the 525.

Ton

Go Kart Newbie
Well if you're looking for reliability, TTE is not exactly where you should be looking IS38 is safest. And if you wanna go TTE, do the 480 instead of the 525.

They were supposed to have better reliability I thought? What's the deal with them?

LJK

Passed Driver's Ed
I would think it'd be a waste to do anything above an IS38 on stock fueling?

Dganic23

This is why I asked. Seems that theres not much common consensus on this topic making me lean towards the proven is38.

RJ_infinite

Ready to race!
For the price of tte you're barely under a full stage 3 kit. You could do is38 or a not so expensive hybrid like Littco turbos which are much cheaper than tte with the same concept

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
APR's stage 3 runs on stock fueling, right? You could always upgrade fueling later and re-tune.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

APRs stage 3 is now running on their fuel package and a built motor from what I last heard. They ran it on stock fueling for a bit i believe but maxed out far off from where they wanted. Arin? Where are you?

Dganic23

Is20 and is38s are fairly unreliable that's why I suggested the other alternatives. Question. Can the gtx30r from cts be tuned on a COBB?

Zacr811

Ready to race!
Is20 and is38s are fairly unreliable that's why I suggested the other alternatives. Question. Can the gtx30r from cts be tuned on a COBB?

That is not true...More people have beat the crap out of thier is20 and is38 turbos with no issues. Just be sure to get the latest revision and maybe get it balanced prior.

mike@ngpracing

APRs stage 3 is now running on their fuel package and a built motor from what I last heard. They ran it on stock fueling for a bit i believe but maxed out far off from where they wanted. Arin? Where are you?

APR Stage 3 "with fueling" would be considered their 3+ kit and is something they have offered above Stage 3 since the jump. The stage 3 kit gets everything there is to get out of the stock fueling, and they are offering 3+ for those that want to go above and beyond.

APR's MQB cars were fitted with 3+ from the start if I am not mistaken, they did not make the upgrade because they maxed out stock fueling.

(I am not sure if you and I are trying to say the same thing just in different ways)

ATR

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
'17 Golf R 6mt
Umm, no. As already stated the stock turbos are pretty good. Want more reliable? Get the turbo balanced. Also treat the turbo & engine kindly. By that I mean let the engine idle for 30 seconds before taking off. And don't go WOT until the oil is up to temperature (above 180F). Also don't just shut the engine off right after a hard run. Let it idle for a minute or two when you park.

To your question about Cobb...
I don't see why it couldn't be tuned. You'll certainly need to get a pro-tune that much is for certain.

zimmie2652

Ready to race!
APR Stage 3 "with fueling" would be considered their 3+ kit and is something they have offered above Stage 3 since the jump. The stage 3 kit gets everything there is to get out of the stock fueling, and they are offering 3+ for those that want to go above and beyond.

APR's MQB cars were fitted with 3+ from the start if I am not mistaken, they did not make the upgrade because they maxed out stock fueling.

(I am not sure if you and I are trying to say the same thing just in different ways)

Well if that's the case, I stand corrected. I thought I recalled reading somewhere on here that they beat the hell out of the car on Stage 3 alone (trying to blow it up basically and were unable to) then developed their fuel kit for the 3+ setup afterwards.