GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Upgrade Question

anotero

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 GTI
https://www.facebook.com/groups/EQTVAG/permalink/908661383302108

Ed- "Because we spent extra time to create and launch these files. They will also inevitably require additional support over time in the form of questions, logs, etc. We will likely be charging the extra $50 for the E30 tunes as well. We will also be charging extra for GTI IS38 staged tunes when they come out. These are all premium staged tunes that require additional work on our part.
FYI, $225 is still dirt cheap for any quality tune"
Thanks. They better hurry up.

Roughly 1250 for a full IS38 upgrade including tuning sounds good.

CaptainRatty

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
Thanks. They better hurry up.

Roughly 1250 for a full IS38 upgrade including tuning sounds good.
Yup, that's what I'm leaning towards as well for next step.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
They do, it's Teflon.

The IS38 is the only turbo I know of that actually has a brief break in.

Most of these budget "OEM+" options are actually OEM- in my opinion.
So most of my reading on swapping to a IS38 only mentions using turbo primer like the liqui moly (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pro-line-turbocharger-additive-liqui-moly-lm22074) in the oil intake and oil line as far as "break in" for install. Seeing as the blades would cut themselves to fit with the coating, is there any soft driving time required or after it's spooled up a few times you can full send?

The threads I've read just say make sure it was primed on install and you're done.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
So most of my reading on swapping to a IS38 only mentions using turbo primer like the liqui moly (https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/pro-line-turbocharger-additive-liqui-moly-lm22074) in the oil intake and oil line as far as "break in" for install. Seeing as the blades would cut themselves to fit with the coating, is there any soft driving time required or after it's spooled up a few times you can full send?

The threads I've read just say make sure it was primed on install and you're done.
Turbo’s break in pretty quickly. Stay completely out of positive atmospheric boost while inspecting the oil lines for at least 100 miles. Then for the next 300 miles just drive the way you normally do but avoid wide open throttle. If you make 1-3 psi that’s fine but try to curb that some.

as far as a special oil to fill that cavity with, the oil inlet. I’d honestly just fill it with your preferred engine oil. But using some special bullshit oil will obviously not do any harm either.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Think the additive is more a gel/goop than a fluid - at least cold. Not sure if you could prime with motor oil without disconnecting fuel/spark and turning the engine over a few times with the starter. Don't think hand turning would pull oil to the turbo, but I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️ Oil might be too messy to pre-prime with seeing as it'd be a fire concern in that area. Just my thoughts, but it's only like 7 bucks and included in FCP's IHI kit so I can't see the harm in using it. They claim it helps against dry running-in damage in the first second(s) of running on a fresh install while oil is still being pumped to the turbo.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Think the additive is more a gel/goop than a fluid - at least cold. Not sure if you could prime with motor oil without disconnecting fuel/spark and turning the engine over a few times with the starter. Don't think hand turning would pull oil to the turbo, but I could be wrong. 🤷‍♂️ Oil might be too messy to pre-prime with seeing as it'd be a fire concern in that area. Just my thoughts, but it's only like 7 bucks and included in FCP's IHI kit so I can't see the harm in using it. They claim it helps against dry running-in damage in the first second(s) of running on a fresh install while oil is still being pumped to the turbo.
U can disco for the sake of just turning it over. Or you can start it and have like no pressure for a few seconds. Either way works

Agray

Go Kart Champion
Reviving this thread to ask a few questions to all you is38 upgrade folks...I've been kicking around Vortex vs. is38 for a while now and I landed on is38 being the more prudent choice for my situation... I'm generally risk averse and I intend to keep the car for 150k+ miles (basically until it quits).

1. Still liking it? Any regrets? I'm shooting for 360HP and 400WTQ. Doable on pump 93?
  2. Are NGK 91006 (RS7) plugs ok to run with these turbos?
  3. I recall reading somewhere that the FCP is38 kit was missing a seal... Any truth to that or is the kit complete? Is Rev H still the latest?
  4. The FCP kit looks like it comes with a new waste gate actuator and DV? If that's correct, is the waste gate already calibrated?
  5. Is there a break in period for the is38?
  6. Is the OEM PCV up to the task of dealing with 26+lbs of boost? I won't be tracking it, but I'll get on it in the hills when I can.

Agray

Go Kart Champion
1. That'd be pushing a is38 pretty hard on pump gas. Get a vortex if you want 360whp and it to last longer. it'll make 360whp at 6500 too :)
2. sure
3. never read that. anything to do the swap can be bought separately.
4. yes but youll need to run adaptation
5. no
6. yes
Thanks Diggs. What do you consider to be safe levels for the is38 on pump gas? Any less is really going to cut it close to what I'm already making now on stage 2 is20 pump gas :rolleyes:

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
At elevation? The most efficient turbo you can get with the least restrictive IC and DP.

Vortex std
AMS
trackslag catless
Good info. Thnx. Sadly swapping the dp isn’t an option. Not till there’s a carb legal dp. And that’s never ever gonna happen. I’d like to bridge the gap somehow while keeping the stock dp, but let’s be for real. It ain’t happening and it wouldn’t be financially feasible.