GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Tunes - let's talk through this

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I'm expecting some cash back from taxes this year and will most likely go IS38 over the next couple of months. I don't think that I want to go bigger than an IS38 as I don't want to start messing around with fuel mods etc...

So - presently, I am Uni Stage 2 - Uni has a Stage 2+ file for an IS38, which would cost me $800 CAD to upgrade to. It is one of the weaker files out there, and for someone that has already, begrudgingly, spent two tune upgrades and a uni connect cable, I find the price stupid and will not be going this route.

United Motorsports - I pay around $1000 CAD and I have to take my car to a UM dealer, it is a custom tune from what I understand without any figures published anywhere. I had a UM tune on my previous MK6R, stage 2+, it hauled ass, drove well, but inevitably it smoked the turbo; and it had a weird issue of stalling when going from 6th to neutral and letting the car cruise on an off ramp.

EQT - I have to shell out around $1000 CAD for COBB and another $700CAD for ta custom tune. People are happy it seems, but thats more than the turbo itself.

Sneakytuned - $1000 CAD for COBB and around another $300 for OTS IS38 Tune

Any other options out there - ideally I'd like to get away with spending around $1000 for a tune.

Goals are daily driven, around 400 HP - present mods are in the sig.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
I think a custom tune with EQT is $500. Also you're not going to get 400 HP from an IS38. More like 360 with a custom tune. You could get close to 400 HP with also running Ethanol.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I think a custom tune with EQT is $500. Also you're not going to get 400 HP from an IS38. More like 360 with a custom tune. You could get close to 400 HP with also running Ethanol.
Thanks Jim - $500US, so around $700ish CAD. I was thinking 400 crank, should be able to do that, no?

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Another option would be, people seem to be happy with their products/service. They are currently having a sale with a COBB AP+Protune. Since you aren't local to Stratified (BC) you would have to add $125USD for a remote dyno tune.

https://www.stratifiedauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=240_254&products_id=689
He wouldn't have to get the remote dyno tune. The protune is the same thing but takes several revisions from logging on the street. The remote dyno tune is done in a few hours though.

Ridebjj

Autocross Champion
Can you get ethanol near you? If so, you can do what I'm doing. IS38 + hpfp + sneeky e48 ots tune. That should be good for ~400 at the wheels for a very reasonable $1600 US

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
He wouldn't have to get the remote dyno tune. The protune is the same thing but takes several revisions from logging on the street. The remote dyno tune is done in a few hours though.
Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up. Well in that case a pro tune+ Cobb AP seems like a decent deal for $875USD.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
Can you get ethanol near you? If so, you can do what I'm doing. IS38 + hpfp + sneeky e48 ots tune. That should be good for ~400 at the wheels for a very reasonable $1600 US
I’d have to buy a barrel and my house doesn’t have a garage, so I’d have to keep it in my shed, which sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
I know the post is more around tunes, but where do you plan to source your IS38? If you're planning to source new, have you thought about the IHI IS38 kit from FCP Euro? I was planning IS20, but the IHI IS38 is $900ish US itself and about 1K USD for all the hardware, seals, and Liqui Moly turbo primer.

Only reason I ask is their lifetime replacement warranty could help take some of the concern around the turbo going pop away as you'd have free lifetime replacement minus labor.

StorableComa

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 GSW S FWD
Not sure if they're known up in Canada, but there is also 5150 tuning you could look into. I personally don't know much about them, but they are mentioned a lot in the GTI circles. They are also a Cobb flash tuner, but have a few deals on bundling the Cobb unit and their tune. Haven't heard much of them on the forums recently, but they get a lot of traction in the Facebook groups I browse through. He's asking 900 USD on the site for both if you have a manual, It's $1300 if DSG (+400 for the DSG tune).

https://5150-racing.fwscart.com/GTIA3_Accessport_and_Tune_Combo/p5227572_18073718.aspx

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Not sure if they're known up in Canada, but there is also 5150 tuning you could look into. I personally don't know much about them, but they are mentioned a lot in the GTI circles. They are also a Cobb flash tuner, but have a few deals on bundling the Cobb unit and their tune. Haven't heard much of them on the forums recently, but they get a lot of traction in the Facebook groups I browse through. He's asking 900 USD on the site for both if you have a manual, It's $1300 if DSG (+400 for the DSG tune).

https://5150-racing.fwscart.com/GTIA3_Accessport_and_Tune_Combo/p5227572_18073718.aspx
I have a friend who swears by 5150.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I did that with my previous car - I’d prefer not to rip it on the street again.
I know the post is more around tunes, but where do you plan to source your IS38? If you're planning to source new, have you thought about the IHI IS38 kit from FCP Euro? I was planning IS20, but the IHI IS38 is $900ish US itself and about 1K USD for all the hardware, seals, and Liqui Moly turbo primer.

Only reason I ask is their lifetime replacement warranty could help take some of the concern around the turbo going pop away as you'd have free lifetime replacement minus labor.
Yes, FCP euro, shipping is only $40 to Toronto.

geokilla

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI DSG
Integrated Engineering? They just had a sale which ended. Maybe a dealer can do an extension for you.