GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Is38 replica on mk7

TheJokker

Go Kart Newbie
Can you imagine how cheap these turbos are if they are still so affordable after china paid all the tariffs on them?

The fact is:
China/Taiwan/Korea have some very very advanced automation machines. They can and do build quality parts. The price point is cheaper because of automation. They can spit out volume and high quality. They likely save because they don't pay their workers as much and their workers don't demand as much. That's a cultural thing that has nothing to do with the quality. There are shitty things that come out of China, just like there are shitty things that come out of the US. China doesn't automatically mean bad.

The Pontiac Aztek is an American car. I rest my case.
If you are buying what is essentially a counterfeit IS38 turbo from an unknown company with unknown quality control you are rolling the dice. Every company is going to have some defects during production. Quality Control catches (most) of these defects to protect the companies reputation and the consumer. Counterfeit companies are known for selling everything they make; the good and the bad. If you get one of the duds than you are on your own. If try and get warranty service from them and they ignore you what are you going to do? Call the Chinese Better Business Bureau? Get on a plane and fly to Wuhan and demand your money back?

A fool and their money are soon parted...

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
If you are buying what is essentially a counterfeit IS38 turbo from an unknown company with unknown quality control you are rolling the dice. Every company is going to have some defects during production. Quality Control catches (most) of these defects to protect the companies reputation and the consumer. Counterfeit companies are known for selling everything they make; the good and the bad. If you get one of the duds than you are on your own. If try and get warranty service from them and they ignore you what are you going to do? Call the Chinese Better Business Bureau? Get on a plane and fly to Wuhan and demand your money back?

A fool and their money are soon parted...

Right.. But country of origin has nothing to do with couterfeit or not. That's my point. You can't automatically assume when someone says china, they mean low grade counterfeit.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Every instance is different, but we installed Chinese made K04s on a my buddy's S4. It was something like $500 for the pair and $100 more for all the metal charge pipes. 50,000 miles later they are doing just fine. We had to re-clock them; other than that it was a cakewalk.

Some honda guys are making crazy power with chinese ebay turbos. Lots of guys here have aliexpress headlights and love them! They may not know they are aliexpress headlights, but they are.

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Right.. But country of origin has nothing to do with couterfeit or not. That's my point. You can't automatically assume when someone says china, they mean low grade counterfeit.
this...it very well may be a high grade counterfeit

:)

Mud

Strange Mud

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Assorted
Yea well, when I see what a big turbo and 400+ bhp in one of these cars actually feels like, then I'll know if I really should or not.

*nudge*
this...anyone in CT that wants free lunch I'd like a ride in one. Even better if I get a chance to drive but a ride would be great.

edit: if we all don't die :(

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
I would only consider buying a “knock off” turbo if it was for a dedicated project car or a “shit box” with a junkyard motor I was going to blow up anyway regardless of where it was constructed. I know many people have great luck with cheap eBay turbos, but in most cases they are on cheap project cars. The country of origin is not the problem the problem is that the item is built to meet a price point, and that creates inherent quality problems. I would be wary putting ANYTHING on my car that was built to a price point if it were my daily driver that I cared about and needed to get me from point A to point B. However if that does not concern you then roll the dice and go for it :)

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI

Blindeye_03

Go Kart Newbie
I didn't know we were talking about illegal knock offs. I thought we were talking about country of origin. It's a dangerous game when you equate how much you spend on something with the quality. There isn't always a direct correlation.

I'm positive you're the racist one and I'm the sarcastic one.
Youre definitely something alright.