GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Rebuild vs. Hybrid Build

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
I have an IS38 that I purchased that I am looking to either have rebuilt or explore the hybrid options.

Rebuild:
As a more basic and less expensive option I would have the turbo rebuilt, have it balanced and improve the oil lines. I think this is along the lines of what BMP Tuning had as the IS38+ option.

Hybrid:
For a little more power I am looking into the hybrid options but coming across some that are quite pricey like dbv2 which is over $2k plus the core. I'm trying to get more details on Littco but really wasn't finding too many options.

So since I did not find a ton of information I'm really looking for input and advice. If anyone has other companies to contact that work on these turbos besides GPop that would be much appreciated.

Thanks

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
The is38 isn’t a great design to begin with, I’d say install it and if it pops buy another one. They’re $700 used you can buy a few cheaper than what the upgrades cost

That’s my plan anyway

For 2k I’d be looking at VTT stage 2, proven to support 10 second 1/4 mile and 500+ whp

carchrism5

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI
The is38 isn’t a great design to begin with, I’d say install it and if it pops buy another one. They’re $700 used you can buy a few cheaper than what the upgrades cost

That’s my plan anyway

For 2k I’d be looking at VTT stage 2, proven to support 10 second 1/4 mile and 500+ whp

I'm not considering a $2k upgrade on this, I'd go another route before spending that kind of money on an IS38.

Given that I have a core at minimum I'd do the rebuild, oil lines and balance. That is not expensive at all (under $500) and that is basically option one. So what I'm really looking for is if it its feasible to spend under $1k (excluding core) to have it truly upgraded.

I refer to it as a core because I bought it based on physical condition and price paid reflected that. I do not have the running history of it so I would not consider installing it as is. Considering price paid for the core, if I paid $500 for the GPop rebuild, balance and oil lines, I would still be a happy camper.

Travis9935

Ready to race!
What's the newest is38 revision S? Anyone know what got changed? Like if the oil pathways were opened up more?

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Deleted answered my own question. Revision T is the latest

Last edited:

teemmy

Ready to race!
I'm not considering a $2k upgrade on this, I'd go another route before spending that kind of money on an IS38.

Given that I have a core at minimum I'd do the rebuild, oil lines and balance. That is not expensive at all (under $500) and that is basically option one. So what I'm really looking for is if it its feasible to spend under $1k (excluding core) to have it truly upgraded.

I refer to it as a core because I bought it based on physical condition and price paid reflected that. I do not have the running history of it so I would not consider installing it as is. Considering price paid for the core, if I paid $500 for the GPop rebuild, balance and oil lines, I would still be a happy camper.

Curious what you come up with because I have an IS38 that I took off my car because it started making the "siren of death" sound. I took it off and it didn't seem to have shaft play. VTT actually rebuild turbos as well and I was quoted something around 400 to have it rebuilt + balanced.

also - gtijake, where are you seeing these $700 IS38s? I haven't seen any at that price. I've seen $850 as the lowest in multiple postings...

Twist1

Autocross Newbie
Don't think oil lines were changed as I have a rev T and didn't notice a difference but sold it as I decided to stay with is20 until it becomes a weekend warrior hybrid monster. I second going vtt, I know it's not is38 but looks super promising..

railroader

Autocross Newbie

Travis9935

Ready to race!
I thought a guy on Facebook in Germany said S is the newer version? VTT is way over 2k, not all of us wanna drop all that money into fueling updates. Which are having controller issues anyway.

dlau9

Go Kart Champion
The Turbo revision naming convention is a bit odd I will be honest. But the "S" has been used in the S3 since 2016 in the UK. Based on my understanding, the F rev is the newest with the upgraded parts. I dont know if the S and F are the same with region codes being different though.

Correct me if I am wrong. FYI I have the S rev, which I got from a 2016 Audi S3 from the UK. Based on my understanding F has not landed in NA cars yet, but current NA MK7.5 R's are using S. It is all very confusing to be honest LOL. Maybe VW only provides the F's to certain places that blow the most turbos due to heat or something who knows.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
The Turbo revision naming convention is a bit odd I will be honest. But the "S" has been used in the S3 since 2016 in the UK. Based on my understanding, the F rev is the newest with the upgraded parts. I dont know if the S and F are the same with region codes being different though.

Correct me if I am wrong. FYI I have the S rev, which I got from a 2016 Audi S3 from the UK. Based on my understanding F has not landed in NA cars yet, but current NA MK7.5 R's are using S. It is all very confusing to be honest LOL. Maybe VW only provides the F's to certain places that blow the most turbos due to heat or something who knows.
Ya I don't get it. I have a T that came off a 2017 s3 but here in the states. From my understanding from what I have read was that the T used a different oil line but I don't know because I have not matched it up to any other models

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk