GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

IS38 Rebuild Question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
The ENTIRE issue with the tuning community is that nobody shares any actual information and so people are left just guessing about how things work. It keeps people going back to pro tuners, raving on the socials about how smooth their latest revision is.
Feel like this hits the nail on the head. Without knowing how shit actually works people are able to just make assumptions from what they see. If tuner A says you need a specific tune otherwise your engine will blow and that tuner is reputable to the point of not ruining peoples engines then the idea starts to persist, and then we get people saying you need an IS38 tune on your GTI when all that would happen in the end with stock software on a bigger turbo is less boost.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
^^^ it is a ridiculous notion honestly. on the mk6 there are so many people who have ran a k04 turbo to the inspection site on a stock tune, and then flashed back. Your engine wont blow up lol. You just stay out of boost until you get the right tune.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
^^^ it is a ridiculous notion honestly. on the mk6 there are so many people who have ran a k04 turbo to the inspection site on a stock tune, and then flashed back. Your engine wont blow up lol. You just stay out of boost until you get the right tune.
You don't even need the right tune. You won't get everything out of it but the tables for a GTI would work.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
You don't even need the right tune. You won't get everything out of it but the tables for a GTI would work.
No, you are wrong. The car will scream "TOO MUCH AIR" and your turbo will be ejected through the hood. That's how cars work right?

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
No, you are wrong. The car will scream "TOO MUCH AIR" and your turbo will be ejected through the hood. That's how cars work right?
This is true. I mean the example of 35PSI being 35PSI was a little reductionist up top since a IS38 probably flows better than an IS20, but your ECU would correct for this once it notices that there is a difference in airmass. I am sure someone else can correct me if I am missing the boat.

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
Is12 hybrid comment was making a joke of his enormous rant. As in if that’s what his suggestion for the OP is I hope that’s is plan for his personal car.

I have zero interest in this, couldn’t care less. You’re not gonna get to the bottom of anything, because I ran my car stage 2 with the is38 for literally 30 miles and that was the only time it ever went lean and popped like that.

It has 108k miles on it and traps 115mph, there’s nothing wrong with it.

I would think you'd be interested in how this all worked because you create performance parts? Pops usually mean rich, not lean. Even then, it doesn't mean the ECU has lost control of the fuel mixture. Without logs, it's hard to fully explain though.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I would think you'd be interested in how this all worked because you create performance parts? Pops usually mean rich, not lean. Even then, it doesn't mean the ECU has lost control of the fuel mixture. Without logs, it's hard to fully explain though.
Most people don't want to know of the sausage is made.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW
I would think you'd be interested in how this all worked because you create performance parts? Pops usually mean rich, not lean.
Yes, pops and bangs are caused by unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust downpipe. a situation caused by running rich. which was inturn caused by running the wrong tune on the is38. His ECU simply compensated for the 'extra' air by dumping more fuel and retarding timing so his engine stayed safe. Literally proving your point.

Pretty weird he doesnt know that considering he makes downpipes for a living? strange indeed :unsure:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Yes, pops and bangs are caused by unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust downpipe. a situation caused by running rich. which was inturn caused by running the wrong tune on the is38. His ECU simply compensated for the 'extra' air by dumping more fuel and retarding timing so his engine stayed safe. Literally proving your point.

Pretty weird he doesnt know that considering he makes downpipes for a living? strange indeed :unsure:
He doesn't make car products for a living. It's a side gig.

ShagginGSW

Go Kart Newbie
I love sausages and hot dogs, but I don't consider myself a sausage enthusiast. If I were a sausage enthusiast, I would want to know how the sausage is made.

That came out all wrong.
Way to ruin a perfectly good idiom.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I’m an aircraft mechanic for a living, and lean conditions absolutely cause backfires & there’s no situation where it would be running rich anyway.

I’m not a tuner, don’t ever plan to be one.

Most of my competitors just sell e-commerce they outsource from China. I build race quality components on the side and all of a sudden I need to be a tuner too…get outta here.

Joe_Mama

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2012 GTI, 2017 GSW

MeltedSolid

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'15 Golf, e36 328i
It's not as extreme as running a hybrid IS38 on an IS12 tune, but I have dozens of logs of running an IS20 on a stage 1 tune (I ran it daily for >3 years), and many others have logs of running an IS20 or IS38 on the stock tune with a JB4. I trapped 110 in the quarter mile on an "is12" tune, and logged it. I've also talked extensively with George and others about the implications of what running a turbo not intended for the tune entails. There are only two risks with running the wrong turbo for the tune: If your turbo is larger than the tune expects, then it might try to spool too early and you could get on-throttle compressor surge, and if your turbo is smaller than the tune expects it might try to run too high boost for the turbo, and this is actually a problem, but idk who would do that. You could slap an IMS780 kit on a 1.8 with the stock tune and the worst that would probably happen is it would be sluggishly slow and unresponsive. Nothing against you, GTI Jake, but this argument is silly, expecially with so much info out there about piggybacks working with a wide range of hardware on our platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.